Gibbs is now a Crow

How do you feel about the Bryce Gibbs deal?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

It's awesome. I remember back in the day when Rooch and Demetriou dudded us over the Father-Son rules the club said something along the lines of "we will never rest until Gibbs plays football for the AFC".

And we followed it up with the determination and vigor typical of the Trigg administration

You are basing this on the points system.

Which is what the AFL bases the value of the trade on and if it is a 'fair trade' or not. They have told clubs that there needs to be a fairer trade value before they will approve a trade, and this is why now there are a lot of trades with the later pick swaps happening.

Never met the guy but I'm not sure where this intelligent thing has come from?

I'm only going by his actions signing a 5 year deal when you are turning 26 believing Carlton are going to be playing finals - he has stated that is what he was told and what he believed. That to me suggest a low IQ.

He is certainly hardworking - that is evident but as I said nothing I have seen suggests he is intelligent. Maybe he is a Rhodes Scholar and I'm uninformed.

I'm probably still a bit pissed that his (stupid) decision contributed to us having to overpay to get HIM where HE wanted to go.
You seem to be making a whole heap of assumptions about why he signed. Where exactly has he stated what you claim?

I am pretty sure he signed on with Carlton because at the time, he had no kids and life was great for his partner and him in Melbourne. He loves the club and I am sure that at the time, he had plenty of reasons to stay. Thing change quickly.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So right. One of my long time peeves. Been thinking and saying it for many years. AFC Blinkered tradition is to excessively hold onto what we know from end of career players. And recycling is alive and well in these present times. Would we have ever played a 6 gamer (TTG guy for Richmond?) in a Grand Final ? Don't think so. Hell we have a 2 season 1st round selection who is constantly in best players yet to be exposed as part of his development.
'Time to pull the trigger' is passing us by continuously.

What's discussed in this post below explains things superbly. Better than my efforts -

https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/justin-reid.1180356/page-2#post-53090844

Yes, a perfectly fine word, but it is more evocative of the mucous and sputum coming out of the Rooch mouth as he presents the drivel of his arguments. :)

I feel it should be a cardable offence to attempt to misguide people into clicking a link to one of his, ahem, 'fine pieces of journalism'.

Instant ban for direct quotes.

Two first rounders is a ridiculous price to pay for a 29-year-old. Yesterday was a tough day to be a Crows member. Pick #16 and pick #39 is enough for that deal. We sold the farm.

Nah, we cashed in the profits from the other trades to give us the best chance of ultimate success over the next 2 years.

Some people can't see the forrest for the trees.

Gibbs is 29, He'll be 29 at the time of the GF next year, genuine A-grade talent, if he plays when he's 33 we get 5 years out of him, probably 3-4 prime and the rest cooling down. Great get.
Odds are we get 2 good years out of him, and 2 more "cool down" years. He's a good player, but not a great player. 2 good years is not worth paying the equivalent of pick #7. Not in this universe, or any other.

Sent from my D5503 using Tapatalk

Jeez Vader - lots of "lube", "reamed" and "overpay ridiculously" in those posts across a few threads hammering Gibbs.

Do you watch many games outside of Adelaide's? Gibbs is not a filler ... he is an elite midfielder.

As far as his worth, if you insist on using the points system to work this sort of thing out, I reckon you will be sadly let down. We give 10 and 16 in this year's draft and add 20-something in the SA SUPER DRAFT of 2018 ... that suits us nicely. We upgraded our 2017 first through other trades to 12, so we are in a better position in both 2017 / 2018 drafts than when we walked into Etihad 10 days ago. Gibbs adds something to our team we have lacked for a while ... some silk. When the ball is being moved out of our defence or into our attack, which players previously have given you confidence they are going to make the right decision and execute it? I'm betting we put the ball into Gibbs' hands a lot in 2018.

Are you upset that we got such a good deal Cameron and it's clouding your posting?

Do you think that Gibbs is not what we need from a structure point of view?

Why would you be so angry about a deal that improves our squad?

You seem to be flying off the handle a little.
Gibbs is certainly not filler, but he's also not elite. We paid the price of an elite player, and bought a very good (but well short of elite) player.

We paid the equivalent of pick #7 for a very good (not elite) player who probably only has 2 good years left in him. That's too high a price, even in this year's draft.

Anything more than pick #16, or equivalent in points & players, is too much for what we're getting in return.

Sent from my D5503 using Tapatalk

Back