Draft Watcher Knightmare's 2017 Draft Almanac

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Knightmare any chance of brander sliding to Richmonds first pick? Despite some inconsistent games I think he has the makings of a gun chf maybe a less agile Jeremy Cameron

Knightmare any chance of brander sliding to Richmonds first pick? Despite some inconsistent games I think he has the makings of a gun chf maybe a less agile Jeremy Cameron

It's not out of the question Brander slides. I'm not tipping he quite makes it to Richmond's first choice at this stage, but I'm think at this stage that he drops somewhere outside the top 10.

It's not out of the question Brander slides. I'm not tipping he quite makes it to Richmond's first choice at this stage, but I'm think at this stage that he drops somewhere outside the top 10.

Yeah I'm thinking he slides as well the plus is that not too many teams outside the top 10 picks are desperate for a key forward maybe carlton at 10 are the worry, here's hoping he gets to 17

Yeah I'm thinking he slides as well the plus is that not too many teams outside the top 10 picks are desperate for a key forward maybe carlton at 10 are the worry, here's hoping he gets to 17

Top of mind, after losing Lever, Adelaide may take Brander with a view to develop him into a key defender. Sydney could be another with their aging talls.

KM any chance Gryan Miers last until pick 30?

Miers may be there.

In my phantom draft which will come out during the week, at this stage pending change, I have Miers placed in the mid-late 20s. But he could just as easily go in the 30s.

Top of mind, after losing Lever, Adelaide may take Brander with a view to develop him into a key defender. Sydney could be another with their aging talls.

Yeah they are the other two but I think he has more upside as a chf than as a defender seems to get beaten quite often in defence to me just seems a more natural forward, Sydney might be the ones with buddy n tpipet getting on.. Do you think he has more potential forward or back?

Yeah they are the other two but I think he has more upside as a chf than as a defender seems to get beaten quite often in defence to me just seems a more natural forward, Sydney might be the ones with buddy n tpipet getting on.. Do you think he has more potential forward or back?

I'm split on Brander.

Overall my optimism of his ability has dropped away.

I've mostly been on board with Brander the forward, feeling he's pretty good at ground level, leads to the right spots and has a good work rate, while feeling down back he struggling to contain the influence of opposition forwards. I'm just not as convinced as I was of Brander the forward. He drops too many marks up forward - just dropping uncontested marks, chest marks, too often and not showing the growth to his game I expected this year.

Key defence may be his better shot because he can intercept and uses it well. But still at either end he has scope to develop, without feeling particularly strongly about him at one end or the other.

I'm split on Brander.

Overall my optimism of his ability has dropped away.

I've mostly been on board with Brander the forward, feeling he's pretty good at ground level, leads to the right spots and has a good work rate, while feeling down back he struggling to contain the influence of opposition forwards. I'm just not as convinced as I was of Brander the forward. He drops too many marks up forward - just dropping uncontested marks, chest marks, too often and not showing the growth to his game I expected this year.

Key defence may be his better shot because he can intercept and uses it well. But still at either end he has scope to develop, without feeling particularly strongly about him at one end or the other.

Brander sounds like the player Collingwood should be drafting at 6 or is there a standout smaller player who you think the Pies will jump at like a Brayshaw?

I may be a tad influenced by what the Pies need versus the best available pick at 6.

Brander sounds like the player Collingwood should be drafting at 6 or is there a standout smaller player who you think the Pies will jump at like a Brayshaw?

I may be a tad influenced by what the Pies need versus the best available pick at 6.

Pies have a lot of midfielders but need key position players (most) with pace and skill other areas of deficit.

Naughton, Fogarty and Brander are among those that make sense for Collingwood based on need.

Hey Knightmare

From the limited footage I've seen I feel both Rayner and Cerra are the best players in this seasons draft, and I hope, and have a feeling, that SOS rates Cerra quite highly

Rayner will probably go at pick No. 1, with Carlton needing a miracle for him to drop as far down as 3. Nevertheless, where exactly do you see Cerra going? How highly rated is he by the other clubs with a spot in the top 10?

Knightmare when does your phantom come out? As a precursor who do you see in the mix at 7/8 for St Kilda?

Phantom draft coming this week. Likely Wednesday or Thursday it will go up on ESPN.

Brayshaw has been mention as of interest.

Jaidyn Stephenson and Aaron Naughton may be among two considered with the other pick if one of them slides.

Hey Knightmare

From the limited footage I've seen I feel both Rayner and Cerra are the best players in this seasons draft, and I hope, and have a feeling, that SOS rates Cerra quite highly

Rayner will probably go at pick No. 1, with Carlton needing a miracle for him to drop as far down as 3. Nevertheless, where exactly do you see Cerra going? How highly rated is he by the other clubs with a spot in the top 10?

Cerra I have going top 5.

Brisbane have yet to indicate Rayner is their preferred choice. There still has been talk surrounding LDU and Dow as possibles.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pies have a lot of midfielders but need key position players (most) with pace and skill other areas of deficit.

Naughton, Fogarty and Brander are among those that make sense for Collingwood based on need.

Agreed. Was reading the AFL site article on clubs best 22's for 2018 and saw the Collingwood spine.

Lyden Dunn FB
Darcy Moore CHB?o_O
Adam Trelor C
Sam Reid CHF
Mason Cox FF:huh:

Now that needs a lot of work before Collingwood plays finals.

Hey Knightmare, appreciate the work you do here. I was wondering if I could get your opinion of a few of the players you don't cover in your top 20? Strengths & weaknesses, best position and maybe player comparison if possible.

Nathan Murphy
Ed Richards
Charlie Constable
Zac Bailey
Patrick Naish

Only if you've got time. Cheers mate.

Where do you see Starcevich placed Knightmare? His highlights in the WA v VC game were impressive, he's tested very well yet he doesn't seem to be attracting much interest in the first couple of rounds. Any knocks that you're aware of?

Many thanks

Starcevich may figure around the third round.

No one is without flaws. He can improve his endurance and production.

Otherwise there is a fair bit to work with. Good size. Can win it inside, but seems a good ball user and decision maker.

Agreed. Was reading the AFL site article on clubs best 22's for 2018 and saw the Collingwood spine.

Lyden Dunn FB
Darcy Moore CHB?o_O
Adam Trelor C
Sam Reid CHF
Mason Cox FF:huh:

Now that needs a lot of work before Collingwood plays finals.

Darcy Moore is more the forward, with Ben Reid the key defender.

Moore and Reid are the two quality talls, and Reid is turning 28 before the end of the calendar year and has durability issues. So realistically speaking, Collingwood only have one of their four long term key position posts filled.

That's why in my trade wrap I was less than positive about Collingwood turning over four KPPs and not adding any through the trade period.

Hey Knightmare, appreciate the work you do here. I was wondering if I could get your opinion of a few of the players you don't cover in your top 20? Strengths & weaknesses, best position and maybe player comparison if possible.

Nathan Murphy
Ed Richards
Charlie Constable
Zac Bailey
Patrick Naish

Only if you've got time. Cheers mate.

None of them are inside my top 30 as harsh as it may sound.

For a quick strengths and weaknesses.

Murphy - mobile and versatile. unclear midfield capabilities and has been low impact per possession in TAC Cup.

Richards - provides run and is a very nice kick and looks good down back. on the small side and only ok 1v1.

Constable - nice height, production, kicking, vision and decision making all top notch. has good penetration. on the negative, very, very slow mover and never feels like he is on the move and has very little time or space to do damage in contested situations due to this as a very stationary ball winner.

Bailey - speed + agility + contested ball winning and inside game excellent. kicking inconsistent as anything.

Naish - has pace and can break the lines. good skills and vision most of the time. can hit the scoreboard. light bodied and not a strong contested ball winner are the knocks.

Starcevich may figure around the third round.

No one is without flaws. He can improve his endurance and production.

Otherwise there is a fair bit to work with. Good size. Can win it inside, but seems a good ball user and decision maker.

Darcy Moore is more the forward, with Ben Reid the key defender.

Moore and Reid are the two quality talls, and Reid is turning 28 before the end of the calendar year and has durability issues. So realistically speaking, Collingwood only have one of their four long term key position posts filled.

That's why in my trade wrap I was less than positive about Collingwood turning over four KPPs and not adding any through the trade period.

None of them are inside my top 30 as harsh as it may sound.

For a quick strengths and weaknesses.

Murphy - mobile and versatile. unclear midfield capabilities and has been low impact per possession in TAC Cup.

Richards - provides run and is a very nice kick and looks good down back. on the small side and only ok 1v1.

Constable - nice height, production, kicking, vision and decision making all top notch. has good penetration. on the negative, very, very slow mover and never feels like he is on the move and has very little time or space to do damage in contested situations due to this as a very stationary ball winner.

Bailey - speed + agility + contested ball winning and inside game excellent. kicking inconsistent as anything.

Naish - has pace and can break the lines. good skills and vision most of the time. can hit the scoreboard. light bodied and not a strong contested ball winner are the knocks.
Cheers KM, good to get your perspective.

From what I have read, the pies have been linked to Coffield and Naughton.
Does the trading for Sam Murray, who plays a similar role to Coffield, indicate that they will take Naughton?

The fact that they discarded some KPPs in trade period without replacing them also seems to point in that direction, especially considering that Naughton has played senior footy and could possibly step up in 2018 at AFL level

From what I have read, the pies have been linked to Coffield and Naughton.
Does the trading for Sam Murray, who plays a similar role to Coffield, indicate that they will take Naughton?

The fact that they discarded some KPPs in trade period without replacing them also seems to point in that direction, especially considering that Naughton has played senior footy and could possibly step up in 2018 at AFL level

If D Fogarty was available at 6 the Pies would have to be tempted surely!

192cm forward / mid quiet similar in size and style to young Pavlich.

KP forward like that are rare beasts where kp backs are a tad more accessable with later picks.

I do feel Freo will jump at 5 for Fogarty.

Hi KM,
Would it be possible for you to split your power rankings into where you see the talent divides as you did in 2015? You had your rankings split into Top 5 on list quality, top 10 on list quality, projected best 22 etc. I'd be interested to see how many fall into each group and where the gaps in talent are.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back