Travel Unusual Travel Destinations To Visit

Remove this Banner Ad

Currently in Yekaterinburg. Amazing city. Nizhny Novgorod was nice, if a tad boring. Russia's equivalent to Adelaide.
Haha Novgorod!!! Was a a club there ,I was with 2 other Aussies,we were the only non Russians in there,great night lots of dancing and drinking.some big fat mafia looking guy who could only say kangaroo and Sydney Olympics was trying to give me his girl.I declined.one of the guys I was with picked up a bird and she wanted to come back to.our hotel.he made sure no money was requiredwe were about to.leave when she started having a discussion with the guys we'd met on the street who took us to the bar.she said" we go now_" then her and the guy started arguing ,she turned to us and said" you go now,you go fast!" 3 blokes started walking towards us,needless to say we went very fast ,made it out alive!!

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

Haha Novgorod!!! Was a a club there ,I was with 2 other Aussies,we were the only non Russians in there,great night lots of dancing and drinking.some big fat mafia looking guy who could only say kangaroo and Sydney Olympics was trying to give me his girl.I declined.one of the guys I was with picked up a bird and she wanted to come back to.our hotel.he made sure no money was requiredwe were about to.leave when she started having a discussion with the guys we'd met on the street who took us to the bar.she said" we go now_" then her and the guy started arguing ,she turned to us and said" you go now,you go fast!" 3 blokes started walking towards us,needless to say we went very fast ,made it out alive!!

I actually have a similar story from Novgorod which I'll post when I get home and have more time.

Contiki?

No. I'm traveling on my own.

What the heck. I'll post it now.

I was waiting for a train to Yekaterinburg outside Nizhny Novgorod station at about ten at night. I decided to go for a walk and find something to eat. This guy comes up to me and asks me the time was. When he heard my accent he latched on to me and kept asking me questions. It became obvious he was drunk. I walked away but he followed me. I kept changing directions but he kept following me. I went into a McDonalds and ordered a meal. He stood right next to me the whole time I was ordering. He sat down with me at the table. The manager came over. The drunk guy said that it was ok. He's a friend of mine. The manager asked me if that was right. I said no. The manager told him to get out of the restaurant. He left but stood outside. The manager told me to wait inside til he was gone. He was waiting for an hour and I was getting a bit worried that I was going to miss my train. He at last went away and the manager told me to make a dash for it. I got to the train station about 5 minutes before the train left.

Another thing that happened while I was waiting outside the station was that a taxi pulled up and a guy tried to jump out without paying. The driver grabbed him and wouldn't let him go. There were quite a few people nearby. The guy was yelling and calling out for help but no one seemed interested in helping him. The police walked past after about ten minutes and took him away.

No. I'm traveling on my own.

What the heck. I'll post it now.

I was waiting for a train to Yekaterinburg outside Nizhny Novgorod station at about ten at night. I decided to go for a walk and find something to eat. This guy comes up to me and asks me the time was. When he heard my accent he latched on to me and kept asking me questions. It became obvious he was drunk. I walked away but he followed me. I kept changing directions but he kept following me. I went into a McDonalds and ordered a meal. He stood right next to me the whole time I was ordering. He sat down with me at the table. The manager came over. The drunk guy said that it was ok. He's a friend of mine. The manager asked me if that was right. I said no. The manager told him to get out of the restaurant. He left but stood outside. The manager told me to wait inside til he was gone. He was waiting for an hour and I was getting a bit worried that I was going to miss my train. He at last went away and the manager told me to make a dash for it. I got to the train station about 5 minutes before the train left.

Another thing that happened while I was waiting outside the station was that a taxi pulled up and a guy tried to jump out without paying. The driver grabbed him and wouldn't let him go. There were quite a few people nearby. The guy was yelling and calling out for help but no one seemed interested in helping him. The police walked past after about ten minutes and took him away.
Seems like such a quiet place!!
Russian women hey!!

I'm loving Romania. Amazing country. Brasov is one of the nicest cities I have been to. Just beautiful. And the people are so friendly.

I really liked PP, but I dont think Ive ever seen so many people missing limbs. Did you take the minibus down to Sihanoukville and fear for your life like we did?
Went from the Vietnam border to PP in one of those minivans, it was nuts. Luggage hanging out the back, stopping to slow down at just about every house - the 250km or so trip took 6 hrs. At one point there was 22 people in the minivan with luggage and no air con.

Unforgettable.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

'nice, if a tad boring' is probably the perfect way to describe Radelaide, if we're being perfectly honest.
We? who are we? i know plenty of people who prefer Adelaide over Melbourne, your opinion or the mainstream opinion doesn't mean they are right. I prefer Adelaide over Melbourne. Your definition of boring might not be same as mine.

We? who are we? i know plenty of people who prefer Adelaide over Melbourne, your opinion or the mainstream opinion doesn't mean they are right. I prefer Adelaide over Melbourne. Your definition of boring might not be same as mine.
I have no idea what Melbourne has to do with my post, but okay then...

Really appreciate reading the posts in this thread. The wife and I are doing a tour of Mexico and Guatemala in mid December, crossing the border at Frontera La Mesilla. After spending Xmas in Cancun we're off to Cuba for 8 days.

My question concerns currency. Did people get currency before arriving in their destination countries or get it after arrival? Is it better to have money or use ATM's or both? We know that Cuba is hit and miss with power availability and ATMs working, so we are expecting to have CUC currency before arriving in Cuba. Getting cash for Mexico won't be a problem, but would like to hear of people's experiences with currency in Guatemala and Cuba.

Careful about CUC, they have 2 currencies, one for the locals and one for the rest, you need to buy the tourist currency. There are exchange beauros out there who will sell you CUC, take Euros or GBP with you if you can for the best exchange rate (avoid AUD/USD)

Careful about CUC, they have 2 currencies, one for the locals and one for the rest, you need to buy the tourist currency. There are exchange beauros out there who will sell you CUC, take Euros or GBP with you if you can for the best exchange rate (avoid AUD/USD)

We are going to Mexico next month(just a little further south than Cancun coincidently) but I know you were talking about Cuban currency, but for Mexico shall we take euros and convert there(I have about 10 grand in cash I cant do a lot with) or just use card? We used card in Belize last year and didnt really get hurt at all in exchanges.

We are going to Mexico next month(just a little further south than Cancun coincidently) but I know you were talking about Cuban currency, but for Mexico shall we take euros and convert there(I have about 10 grand in cash I cant do a lot with) or just use card? We used card in Belize last year and didnt really get hurt at all in exchanges.
Mexico is ok! i have used my card in Mexico and got the best rates there. You are only allowed to take 10K usd there without declaration! avoid declaring currency if you can in Mexico, its a bureaucratic process and they ask too many questions.

Mexico is ok! i have used my card in Mexico and got the best rates there. You are only allowed to take 10K usd there without declaration! avoid declaring currency if you can in Mexico, its a bureaucratic process and they ask too many questions.

Thanks for the infor. If we took a couple of grand cash are we likely to get a fair exchange? I dont mind losing 5 or even 10% because I cant use it here in bulk, and Mexico seems so cheap in comparison..

Thanks for the infor. If we took a couple of grand cash are we likely to get a fair exchange? I dont mind losing 5 or even 10% because I cant use it here in bulk, and Mexico seems so cheap in comparison..
If you are prepared to lose 5 percent then it makes sense for you to carry cash. Depending on where you going in mexico i would not advise anyone to have a lot of cash on them. I usually go to the non-touristy places and i had terrible experiences specially in El Salvador, Peru, Chile and Mexico

me too... pensioners.
You know some smart pensioners then.

Melbourne is great to visit & stay a while but I'd pick Adelaide to live easily.

Cheaper. Cleaner. Easier. Brilliant produce. Beautiful places to see & do so much more than most would even have time for. Apart from all the bloody entitled non-blinker-using South Australians everywhere (& the seeming inferiority complex) I feel very lucky I'm able to enjoy living in Adelaide (& not being a pensioner).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back