Past Kurt Tippett - retired 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

This is the sort of thing that just won't matter to some. The guys career is over due to injury and mutually beneficial agreement was made. He chose the Swans and always spoke about loving the club. He got paid good coin via his managements negotiations yet some fans seem to get on board with the Eddie Bondi BS as though he was a ruthless money grabber. I've fought against the negatives jotted out of this guy and thankfully that's pretty much over.

He didn't perform well in the biggest of games (had mates) and when your salary is as such you will always be judged on those days. I can't argue against those days but for it to spill over into almost hatred is beyond me.

Time to just send him out with some good luck to his next venture and move on to the opportunity it provides the next blood.

Have a pot shot at him on his way out if you must but for me good on you Tippo thanks for identifying the Swans and Sydney as somewhere you'd want to be to try and be a success and for going out with some dignity and looking after the club a bit that certainly looked after you.

What I love is that those that constantly bag him, usually state that there’s been a fallout over the past 18 months or so. You claim that this rumor is true, yet the accolades via many forms of media would indicate otherwise. You actually don’t know (as I don’t) but it’s great to see that you talk out of your arseholes! I’m glad Tippett was onboard, especially earlier on...let’s hope someone can step up!

Last edited:
Was mentioned he may get a gig with the club, part of the negotiation to not belt the club with cap pressure over the next two years? If so good move.

What I love is that those that constantly bag him, usually state that there’s been a fallout over the past 18 months or so. You claim that this rumor is true and that rumor is true, yet the accolades via many forms of media would indicate otherwise. You actually don’t know (as I don’t) but it’s great to see that you talk out of your arseholes! I’m glad Tippett was onboard, especially earlier on...let’s hope someone can step up!
What has this got to do with him retiring Mick , so you are saying that me , bedders etc are talking out of our arseholes?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He seems like a nice bloke and no body wishes injuries on anyone but this has been a shocker of recruiting by Longmire who wanted him so bad and the negotiations with the money by the club to start with.

‘Who gave him the extension too

We are paying him next year , not really a good thing

Paid him last year to do nothing, wont be much different

Shame his body failed him, but was a failed recruit in the end, hopefully next phase of life goes well

This is the sort of thing that just won't matter to some. The guys career is over due to injury and mutually beneficial agreement was made. He chose the Swans and always spoke about loving the club. He got paid good coin via his managements negotiations yet some fans seem to get on board with the Eddie Bondi BS as though he was a ruthless money grabber. I've fought against the negatives jotted out of this guy and thankfully that's pretty much over.

He didn't perform well in the biggest of games (had mates) and when your salary is as such you will always be judged on those days. I can't argue against those days but for it to spill over into almost hatred is beyond me.

Time to just send him out with some good luck to his next venture and move on to the opportunity it provides the next blood.

Have a pot shot at him on his way out if you must but for me good on you Tippo thanks for identifying the Swans and Sydney as somewhere you'd want to be to try and be a success and for going out with some dignity and looking after the club a bit that certainly looked after you.

Like the sentiment, but why didnt he retire a month or so ago if its for sydneys benefit before the draft?

But fair point re the rest good luck to him

Like the sentiment, but why didnt he retire a month or so ago if its for sydneys benefit before the draft?

If he genuinely thought he could recover from the ankle injury and recover to contribute at a high level then that could also be mutually beneficial. Timing has never been good for Tippett and the Swans really. Had he not required surgery perhaps a trade was a thought by the Swans. They have obviously had a conversation and perhaps a writing on the wall one. But there could be some truth both ways in going out dignified.

I'm glad to see a few posters that I've fenced with on here that are showing class and at least are saying good luck to him.

178 and 325 goals isn't a bad career, even if it was largely unfilled potential and could've been so much more. The club overpaid but that's there own ******* problem and fault, can't blame Kurt for one second for jumping at that contract. Got paid good $ to play the sport for 10 years, well done. Most wish they could do that.
Very unfortunate to see anybody go out purely because their body is just absolutely ****ed.

Unfortunately this has made an already bad and wafer thin ruck division even worse. It was always a possibility given his injury history, but now that it's a reality and the season is approaching it's dawning how far back we are from the other contenders in that department.

Unfortunately this has made an already bad and wafer thin ruck division even worse. It was always a possibility given his injury history, but now that it's a reality and the season is approaching it's dawning how far back we are from the other contenders in that department.
Overall I reckon we've got more ruck depth than the reigning premiers

What has this got to do with him retiring Mick , so you are saying that me , bedders etc are talking out of our arseholes?
I’m not saying who has been talking s**t, but if you think your one of them...so be it!

178 and 325 goals isn't a bad career, even if it was largely unfilled potential and could've been so much more. The club overpaid but that's there own ******* problem and fault, can't blame Kurt for one second for jumping at that contract. Got paid good $ to play the sport for 10 years, well done. Most wish they could do that.
Very unfortunate to see anybody go out purely because their body is just absolutely ******.

It does create issues for sure as essentially it means we have 3 ruckmen, and Naismith tends to get injured every so often.

I had surgery in April last year and the surgeon declared...’some patients make a full recovery and some don’t, but we just won’t know for x amount of time’. Recovery can take x or recovery can take y.

I agree with everything you say...my only question is why the club put such a lengthy extension into the trigger clause in the first place. Were we really that desperate for him?

No idea mate. My understanding was it was a small overall gross increase so a reduction in year on year payments....but why?

So hard to second guess these things and not knowing exactly when his injuries became so bad makes trying to fathom the decision making process hard to judge.

In the face of it, given his output, I cannot justify it in my mind. And having said that how stupid would we have looked, and still may, if Buddy blows his back out for example.

The trend appears to be for long contracts to try and avert free agency issues on the face of it. It could really hurt clubs if they get a run of bad luck.

Bottom line me and you both are in the dark on Tippett though. Makes zero sense to me but I just cannot get down on the player for taking the cash or best part thereof. If someone kept shoveling dollars at me on a chance I would take it.

Bradshaw is another example, that Melbourne guy whose name escapes me...there are always busts that in hindsight look stupid. Still at any given moment half of all lists, or some percentage that swansfan51 will tell us, will never play AFL or at least a number of games. They still get paid, at least this guy was known to be able to play. Pay your money and take your chances I guess.

Rambling now... Sorry. I am disappointed in this whole sorry saga for every stakeholder.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back