Past #12: Lindsay Thomas - released by NM to pursue rookie list spot at PA - thx4 everything Lindsay

Remove this Banner Ad

Oh man, I can barely express how gutted I am to watch Lindsay leave, even though it was time I guess.

I’ve cheered louder and more often for Lindsay than any other NMFC player over the last few years, there’s just something about the way the dude plays, he just always psyched me up (my nickname for him is Lunatic Thomas).

It’s almost as if he was an extension of the all-out supporter, on field. He’d ride every play, hang his head when he stuffed something up and climb on Petrie’s back celebrating a goal, just totally wild love for the club.

He is love for the NMFC incarnate.

And just on a personal level, every time I’ve met Linds, he’s not only remembered me, but had so much bloody time to talk it’s almost always ended up with me saying “Well, alright mate...” - the dude is just such a good bloody bloke, deep down in his bones, and that is such a rarity. His family is lucky to have him, and thankfully we as a supporter base and as a club, can be proud to say the same.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1c400f1b83dc824184391c93d7cc3615

Lindsay Thomas returns to Alberton after joining Port Adelaide in Rookie Draft

Rob Greenwood, The Advertiser
November 28, 2017 6:19pm
Subscriber only

LINDSAY Thomas allowed himself a fleeting moment to process his return to Alberton, then got down to the task of breaking into Ken Hinkley’s best 22.

The small forward arrived for Port Adelaide pre-season training on Tuesday after being taken by the Power at No.12 in the previous day’s Rookie Draft.

Thomas spent three years at Alberton as a youngster having joined Port Magpies from Port Lincoln as a raw 15-year-old.

He said reacquainting himself with the historic venue was a surreal moment, more than a decade on from launching his 205-game AFL career with North Melbourne.

“I got here (Alberton) this morning and I kind of had to pinch myself,” Thomas, 29, said.

“I probably had 30 seconds to myself before I came in. I haven’t been back here since I left 11 years ago.

“I played a lot of footy out here (and) it brought back some good memories.

“I’m really excited that I can come back home. But I’m not here to make the numbers up.”

Thomas met with Port coach Hinkley six weeks ago to discuss a potential move back to SA after mutually agreeing with Kangaroos mentor Brad Scott that his future lay elsewhere. He was relieved to complete the switch and relishing the challenge of winning a place in the Power’s talented forward line.

“I’m coming here knowing that it’s going to be tough to get into that side,” said Thomas, who had been training with North great and close friend Brent Harvey for the past month.

“But I feel like an 18-year-old kid again who’s just got drafted.

“To be able to work with (Port stars) Robbie Gray and Chad Wingard as well is exciting.

“The only way I’m going to crack into that team is if I work my backside off on the track and get the respect of the players and the coaches.”

The 180cm Thomas said bringing his Adelaide-born wife and young family back to SA was a sign of gratitude for the sacrifices they made living interstate.

He hoped to repay Port’s faith by consistently adding to his 325-goal career haul and building a bond with the club’s passionate fanbase.

“It’s pretty intimidating to come over here and play,” said Thomas, who was delisted by North after playing just nine games this past season.

“So I’m happy that I’m on their (Power fans’) side now. There’s no doubt my best footy is still ahead of me.”

Oh man, I can barely express how gutted I am to watch Lindsay leave, even though it was time I guess.

I’ve cheered louder and more often for Lindsay than any other NMFC player over the last few years, there’s just something about the way the dude plays, he just always psyched me up (my nickname for him is Lunatic Thomas).

It’s almost as if he was an extension of the all-out supporter, on field. He’d ride every play, hang his head when he stuffed something up and climb on Petrie’s back celebrating a goal, just totally wild love for the club.

He is love for the NMFC incarnate.

And just on a personal level, every time I’ve met Linds, he’s not only remembered me, but had so much bloody time to talk it’s almost always ended up with me saying “Well, alright mate...” - the dude is just such a good bloody bloke, deep down in his bones, and that is such a rarity. His family is lucky to have him, and thankfully we as a supporter base and as a club, can be proud to say the same.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Super Like this post.

Couldn’t have expressed it any better.

I’m so incredibly gutted to see him go. Need the bloke back at our club post playing career.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was just looking at Hayden Ballantyne's stats and noticed in his last three seasons he kicked 55 goals. In that same period of time Lindsay kicked 76. Ballantyne has played every game for Freo so far this year keeping up his new average of a goal a game and we fired Lindsay and now are struggling for small forwards. Doesn't quite seem fair or make a whole lot of sense.

There has never been a player in the AFL cop as much abuse as this bloke. Some of the things you read on here and on Facebook are disgusting.

Hit to a players shoulder and he goes down quicker than Anabel Chong claiming a head shot.

The player lays on the ground, medical staff in attendance, when the stretcher comes within 5-metres the player amazingly jumps to his feet and runs to the bench.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back