General cycling news and discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Valverde can't have much left in the tank surely! Has been around since I first started following cycling circa 10 years ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When you have a couple of ‘enforced holidays’ you have a lengthier career I guess...

When you have a couple of ‘enforced holidays’ you have a lengthier career I guess...

If you think they're not all doping then you are deluding yourself.

Only need to look at Froome last night. Busted arse to zooming up the hardest climb in cycling.

If you think they're not all doping then you are deluding yourself.

Only need to look at Froome last night. Busted arse to zooming up the hardest climb in cycling.

Seems quite aggressive for no reason. I'm aware of the realities of doping in cycling, I think it would actually be literally impossible to follow the sport closely and not be. Unfortunately it comes as no surprise when anyone is caught. It is also fair to view every great performance somewhat suspiciously with our eyes open, as history has taught us that we should.

To say though that EVERYONE in the peloton is doping and any opinion to the contrary is a delusion takes it a little too far. For one even in the height of the EPO bananza if the late nineties and early 00's there were riders who didn't partake (look up the story of Christophe Bassons). Great recent champions of the sport such as Cancellara and Evans who's entire careers passed by without ever being even remotely whispered about, well at least not to drugs in Cancellara's case.

Cycling is a tortured imperfect sport, but the rule presumed innocence until proven guilty should still apply as it should in every other part of life.

He was mucking around and doing wheelies after his job was done.
OK, hadn't seen that. I did see one rider doing wheelies around a corner, but it wasn't Haig. Obviously wasn't taking things too seriously, which is fair enough. Why waste energy when he knew he was going to be well within the cut off, and his job for the day was done.

Is Haig ready to be a GC contender?

The thing he is missing is a powerful burst to attack. He is consistently good and has proven he can do it for 3 weeks and can TT but maybe is lacking that sharp attack to win stages. His win at the top level was a long range solo effort. If you could combine him and Rob Power into one rider you would have the ultimate GT rider.

Yates now has a lead of 2:11 over Dumoulin, having picked up 41 seconds on the road, plus another 6 seconds in time bonuses (Dumoulin clamed the 4 second bonus for finishing 3rd). Tonight it's a rest day, then they have a 35km TT.

Froome paid for his efforts on Zoncolan, losing 1:32 (+0.10 bonus) to Yates, crossing the line in the 4th group. I think we can put to rest any conspiracy theories about him staging a 3rd week comeback.

Dumoulin could take all of Yates' lead back in the TT, but there are still 3 more mountain top finishes before the end of the race. If history is any guide then Yates would be expected to take time on all of those stages. He may lose the pink on Tuesday night, but he should be able to take it back.

Even though Dumoulin is arguably the best Time Trialist in the field I don't think Yates drops 2 minutes to him. Yates had a very good prologue and only dropped 30 seconds to Dumoulin.

Even though Dumoulin is arguably the best Time Trialist in the field I don't think Yates drops 2 minutes to him. Yates had a very good prologue and only dropped 30 seconds to Dumoulin.
Yates also appears to be a lot less fatigued than Dumoulin. Actually, he's a lot less fatigued than any other rider in the race. If you think that's suspicious, you're definitely right.

Yates had a good prologue, but that's the best TT he's ridden in a GT. Last year he rode the Tour instead of the Giro. The final TT there was only 22.5km and he lost 1:28 to Froome (1:34 to Bodnar). The Giro's TT is 34.2km in length, and Dumoulin is a better TT rider than Froome. Yates has improved in the last 11 months, but he's still looking at 2 minutes - unless Dumoulin is really struggling with fatigue.

Either way, with 3x mountain finishes still to come, on stages 18, 19 & 20, Yates has ample opportunities to take back the maglia rosa if Dumoulin claims it in the TT.

Last edited:
Seems quite aggressive for no reason. I'm aware of the realities of doping in cycling, I think it would actually be literally impossible to follow the sport closely and not be. Unfortunately it comes as no surprise when anyone is caught. It is also fair to view every great performance somewhat suspiciously with our eyes open, as history has taught us that we should.

To say though that EVERYONE in the peloton is doping and any opinion to the contrary is a delusion takes it a little too far. For one even in the height of the EPO bananza if the late nineties and early 00's there were riders who didn't partake (look up the story of Christophe Bassons). Great recent champions of the sport such as Cancellara and Evans who's entire careers passed by without ever being even remotely whispered about, well at least not to drugs in Cancellara's case.

Cycling is a tortured imperfect sport, but the rule presumed innocence until proven guilty should still apply as it should in every other part of life.

I love cycling, but I have no doubt 99% of them dope.

Not based on last night, he's not. He was the last rider there for Yates, but he lost a lot of time on the Zoncolan, even to other support riders like Poels.

You seem to have a limited understanding of cycling tactics - All the MS riders were told to sit up on Zoncolan to save their energy for later days in the Giro - Support riders are of limited support on Zoncolan

Is Haig ready to be a GC contender?

Haig is being groomed as a GC rider - Has all the necessary attributes, though his ITT must get better - The expectation is he will ride a soft GC in 2019 - I hope he misses the Vuelta which will give him the chance to ride as a team leader in races like Tour of Poland and the Eneco Tour and be in top shape for the World's.

I think its going to be a while before we know if he's capable of reaching that level, GC is just really hard to forecast. I think he should first focus on trying to compete in some of the hillier classics like San Sebastian and L-B-L and smaller stage races which given his MTB background and prodigious strength he should excel in. He showed some good signs in the Ardennes this year but probably still has some work to do before he's there with the big boy puncheurs like Valverde, Alaphillipe and Gilbert.

You are right about Haig leading smaller stage races - Have seen enough in the Ardennes to suggest he can win LBL - His power numbers from that race were outstanding and of course if he was a team leader he will be up there at the finish.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The thing he is missing is a powerful burst to attack. He is consistently good and has proven he can do it for 3 weeks and can TT but maybe is lacking that sharp attack to win stages. His win at the top level was a long range solo effort. If you could combine him and Rob Power into one rider you would have the ultimate GT rider.

Power may never reach his potential unless he can improve his recovery which is a big issue - Actually both Haig and Power are only average TT'ers at best.

At least OGE win a Grand Tour with a Yates before they both * off to Sky at the end of the year. Can't see Simon losing from here unless he does a Kruijswijk.

Haig will get to lead the GC hopes at next years Giro or Vuelta.

Barguil has been in horrible, horrible form.

Movistar will have Valverde, Quintana, Landa and probably Carapaz, Betancur & Moler.

Carapaz and Betancur won't ride.

the movistar team will be

Quintana, Valverde, Landa, Soler, Valls, Anacona, Amador, Rojas

Valverde is a good shout based on the form he is in.

The problem with 8 riders in a GT is that ultimately its the young, developing riders who suffer - Instead of taking a younger rider who may struggle to finish a GT, teams will go for the older, more experienced rider.

This is where they could add two extra wildcard team invites. Would be better

Carapaz and Betancur won't ride.

the movistar team will be

Quintana, Valverde, Landa, Soler, Valls, Anacona, Amador, Rojas

Valverde is a good shout based on the form he is in.

Who do you think will lead?
Quintana says himself. The team says the road will decide.
Landa looked to be streets ahead of Quintana earlier in the season.

At least OGE win a Grand Tour with a Yates before they both **** off to Sky at the end of the year. Can't see Simon losing from here unless he does a Kruijswijk.

Haig will get to lead the GC hopes at next years Giro or Vuelta.

Every possibility to lose Yates x 1 or Ewan - Though would be shocked if a Yates would go to Team Sky.

Every possibility to lose Yates x 1 or Ewan - Though would be shocked if a Yates would go to Team Sky.

Yates bros are being offered a s**t load from Sky. More than they will get at MTS at this stage.

Sky are desperate for them. Whispers are its basically a done deal. Obviously that would change if MTS can match the offers but I can't see it happening. There is a good chance they will lose both of them and Ewan unless Ewan decides to stay.

Froome won't have much longer and they are a British team that will always have British leaders at the TDF. That appeals to them as they will always have strong teams built around them - stronger than what MTS can offer.

Thomas isn't up to it and Tao Geoghegan Hart is a few years away.

This will squeeze Bernal out in a few years but they don't care about losing him. They know Bernal is going to be offered s**t loads when his contract is up and won't be able to afford him. Bernal is going to be offered a couple million.

Obviously they will also lose a couple big riders this year to be able to accommodate the Bros.

Who do you think will lead?
Quintana says himself. The team says the road will decide.
Landa looked to be streets ahead of Quintana earlier in the season.

Joint leaders. The road will decide. I just wouldn't be shocked if Valverde is stronger. He was a couple years ago and his level from then to now hasn't changed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back