Remove this Banner Ad

My memory is it was Early Burgers on Stirling Highway that was open really late & not Van Eileen's. I know it was open at least until after the pubs shut but I cant imagine it still being open after 12am on a winter Sunday.
I believe it became Van Eileen's after it was forced to move from Marine Parade, Cottesloe, and changed it's hours. When it was at the Beach it was only allowed to trade when everyone else was shut. There's a possibility it would of been open that weekend at least. Somebody might of seen something, or the trading hours might've limited the time frame to whoever put the car in the Ocean, and thus narrow down the time of morning to say between 5 and 6am for instance. We know that a group of old ladies regularly swan there every morning from about 8am (I think), that week from a newspaper article. I'll dig it up again, if I can find it.

I believe it became Van Eileen's after it was forced to move from Marine Parade, Cottesloe, and changed it's hours. When it was at the Beach it was only allowed to trade when everyone else was shut. There's a possibility it would of been open that weekend at least. Somebody might of seen something, or the trading hours might've limited the time frame to whoever put the car in the Ocean, and thus narrow down the time of morning to say between 5 and 6am for instance. We know that a group of old ladies regularly swan there every morning from about 8am (I think), that week from a newspaper article. I'll dig it up again, if I can find it.
7db13c02e8c966e360b74021149c1781.jpg
source: Sydney Morning Herald Pages 406-407 published on 25th June 1988.
OCR scan of the article reveals»

THEY ARE known affectionately as the Bobbies. Each morning at 7 o'clock, their 20 or 30 coloured bathing caps bob like beachballs on the water at Cottesloe beach in Perth. They have been coming for years, these salt-of-the-earth West Australian women, now in their 70s and 80s, mostly widows and mostly overweight. (The men and the thin women are mostly dead.) They park their cars under the Norfolk pines of Forrest Street just as the sun climbs above the branches. Sometimes the sky is tinged with pink. They come before the heat of the day, after the beach-sweeper has furrowed the sand into clean white troughs and laid out a string of empty yellow bins. They come as fishermen on the Groyne are hauling in the day's first whiting. They come while the water is as unruffled as a swimming pool out to Rottnest Island and beyond. They almost always beat the sea breeze (known to visitors as the Fremantle Doctor, but to locals never as anything but the "sea breeze"). Here is Perth the way it was. Here are the rock-solid people whose families farmed, trucked and ministered long before money talk came to the west. Most live in small units now. Their properties have passed into other hands, their old houses have bright new facades, bigger garages and higher fences. Life is far from finished for these women. "You'll only find busy people here at the beach," says Hetty. "Others can't find the time to come." "What are they doing, then?" I ask. "They're home, in bed." Cottesloe Groyne beach at 7 am is like a club with wide open doors. Everybody says "good morning". If you're a stranger, they might ask where you're from and offer sympathy. Swim past and listen to the talk. Each floating group will be discussing the same topics: election results, weather forecasts, the state of the water today compared with yesterday. There is plenty of chin-up breast stroke and some half-hearted overarm. Today is Jenny's birthday. The women tread water in a circle and sing Happy Birthday. There is a card from them all, waiting on the sand. Ev has brought the vinegar bottle, in case of stingers. The bluebottles come in with the northerlies, but do not deter the regulars. There are two groups of Bobbies. They are friendly, but leave their towels in two distinct clumps. One group is Bobbies at Cottesloe beach: lots of breast stroke and a little overarm. known to the others as the PGs (Peppermint Grovers). The Neptunians are more organised, with their own annual Neptunian award for the member voted Personality of the Year. Each group follows its own rituals. The PGs sit on the stone retaining wall and towel the sand from their toes. "We wash ours," says Hetty, a Neptunian. After their swim, neither group lingers to catch a suntan. They have other things to do golf, bridge, flowers at the church, marmalade-making for the fete. During the day, they'll pop in on some poor soul who can no longer make it to the beach. Mateship lives on. The Bobbies call themselves lucky' lucky to be alive, lucky to have each other, whom they've known all their lives, and lucky that one of the country's most beautiful beaches waits almost at their door.

Last edited:
View attachment 573069
source: Sydney Morning Herald Pages 406-407 published on 25th June 1988.
OCR scan of the article reveals»

THEY ARE known affectionately as the Bobbies. Each morning at 7 o'clock, their 20 or 30 coloured bathing caps bob like beachballs on the water at Cottesloe beach in Perth. They have been coming for years, these salt-of-the-earth West Australian women, now in their 70s and 80s, mostly widows and mostly overweight. (The men and the thin women are mostly dead.) They park their cars under the Norfolk pines of Forrest Street just as the sun climbs above the branches. Sometimes the sky is tinged with pink. They come before the heat of the day, after the beach-sweeper has furrowed the sand into clean white troughs and laid out a string of empty yellow bins. They come as fishermen on the Groyne are hauling in the day's first whiting. They come while the water is as unruffled as a swimming pool out to Rottnest Island and beyond. They almost always beat the sea breeze (known to visitors as the Fremantle Doctor, but to locals never as anything but the "sea breeze"). Here is Perth the way it was. Here are the rock-solid people whose families farmed, trucked and ministered long before money talk came to the west. Most live in small units now. Their properties have passed into other hands, their old houses have bright new facades, bigger garages and higher fences. Life is far from finished for these women. "You'll only find busy people here at the beach," says Hetty. "Others can't find the time to come." "What are they doing, then?" I ask. "They're home, in bed." Cottesloe Groyne beach at 7 am is like a club with wide open doors. Everybody says "good morning". If you're a stranger, they might ask where you're from and offer sympathy. Swim past and listen to the talk. Each floating group will be discussing the same topics: election results, weather forecasts, the state of the water today compared with yesterday. There is plenty of chin-up breast stroke and some half-hearted overarm. Today is Jenny's birthday. The women tread water in a circle and sing Happy Birthday. There is a card from them all, waiting on the sand. Ev has brought the vinegar bottle, in case of stingers. The bluebottles come in with the northerlies, but do not deter the regulars. There are two groups of Bobbies. They are friendly, but leave their towels in two distinct clumps. One group is Bobbies at Cottesloe beach: lots of breast stroke and a little overarm. known to the others as the PGs (Peppermint Grovers). The Neptunians are more organised, with their own annual Neptunian award for the member voted Personality of the Year. Each group follows its own rituals. The PGs sit on the stone retaining wall and towel the sand from their toes. "We wash ours," says Hetty, a Neptunian. After their swim, neither group lingers to catch a suntan. They have other things to do golf, bridge, flowers at the church, marmalade-making for the fete. During the day, they'll pop in on some poor soul who can no longer make it to the beach. Mateship lives on. The Bobbies call themselves lucky' lucky to be alive, lucky to have each other, whom they've known all their lives, and lucky that one of the country's most beautiful beaches waits almost at their door.
Very interesting. As well as 20 to 30 swimmers and breaststrokers arriving around 7.00 pm ever day, beach sweepers combing the beach sand and emptying bins, fishermen on the groyne, combined with beach runners or other swimmers, residents who lived opposite the beach, no one noticed Julie Cutler's car in the water until Wednesday morning.

Julie's Dad made comment "I can't understand how a car (like that) can be at Cottesloe and can not be seen when there's someone there almost 24 hours a day looking at the water" ... He appealed for help from anyone that may have seen the two toned Fiat at Cottesloe early last week. My Lost Julie Must be Dead - Father tells of Worst Fears Daily News 27th June 1988.

My memory is it was Early Burgers on Stirling Highway that was open really late & not Van Eileen's. I know it was open at least until after the pubs shut but I cant imagine it still being open after 12am on a winter Sunday.

Van Eileen’s - Lol

Botulism guaranteed.

Or a communicable disease.

Last edited:
Very interesting. As well as 20 to 30 swimmers and breaststrokers arriving around 7.00 pm ever day, beach sweepers combing the beach sand and emptying bins, fishermen on the groyne, combined with beach runners or other swimmers, residents who lived opposite the beach, no one noticed Julie Cutler's car in the water until Wednesday morning.

Julie's Dad made comment "I can't understand how a car (like that) can be at Cottesloe and can not be seen when there's someone there almost 24 hours a day looking at the water" ... He appealed for help from anyone that may have seen the two toned Fiat at Cottesloe early last week. My Lost Julie Must be Dead - Father tells of Worst Fears Daily News 27th June 1988.

You would considering the presence, this would happen around 2 to 3 am to ensure there was not witnesses. Is there a witness not come forward? There is a lot of units with ocean views. Maybe the weather camouflaged the act?

In the depth of winter on June 22nd, the winter solstice witnesses would be at an all time low.

It wasn't found by one of the bobbies, they seemed to have missed it. A guy exploring with his goggles spotted it under the water, resting below the surface. Squished, roof down stuck on a reef with seaweed swishing around.

It wasn't found by one of the bobbies, they seemed to have missed it. A guy exploring with his goggles spotted it under the water, resting below the surface. Squished, roof down stuck on a reef with seaweed swishing around.
IMO, the window of opportunity for putting the car into the ocean might've been a lot narrower than what was reportedly told to the media. If for instance the Eats van closed about 5am and the beach cleaners started at 6am then the exact time frame might be deduced. If such a scenario is correct then there's approximately 4 hours between last sighting of Julie leaving the Parmelia unaccounted for which travel time would only account for half an hour at best. IMO, therefore it could be that the real crime scene is not at the beach but somewhere else in the hours preceding. Unless, whoever is responsible for putting the car in the ocean was just plain lucky not to of been seen doing it much earlier in the night of course. However, we can only use what information we have and make assumptions that the perpetrator scoped out the exact time frame that gave him/her/them the best window of opportunity to place the vehicle in the most popular beach in Western Australia where they must've presumed it would be discovered soon after. IMO, they probably were not intending for it to be washed out to sea as there are much better places along the coast that would ensure this like the boat ramp at Trigg.

I think the bobbies were too late, it would have been an early morning serious swimmer with goggles. He could have seen the lights. No seaweed though.

If Julie left the Parmelia at 12.30, then 1.00am would be the earliest the car ended up in the water.

The act of dumping would have been guised by the sound and darkness of the stormy weather.

A bag with Parmelia uniform was found at Kings Cafe even though Julie took off in her car.

{ Apart from several Parmelia Hilton champagne flutes in the four-door Fiat, nothing else significant was found inside the vehicle.

No belongings, no clothing. No body.

The back seat of the car had washed up on the beach.

A shoulder bag Ms Cutler was known to carry has also never been found.

“We were able to arrive at that conclusion because there was no sign of the vehicle at the beach when the regular swimmers arrived at daybreak to undertake their daily exercises.

“That particular night, there were strong winds and rain to the extent that the waves were lapping the retaining the wall of the Cottesloe Surf Club. }

https://www.watoday.com.au/national...e-question-still-remains-20180423-p4zb5k.html

Last edited:
So it's impossible she ferried people around in her car? Or someone DD-ing did?

Only reason I ask, it's pretty normal to have a roadie when someone's driving you to town or another party.

Also it's amazing how different and empty clues are from crimes 30 to even 15 years ago are. So many details could be easily fixed. When I was at Curtin, classes either put up class lists or it was pretty easy to find out names of people (girls) in your class. Things like what someone was wearing when, so easy with (especially work parties) people chucking up (what they think is) throwaway snapchats, Instagrams, whatever. Not to mention geolocation tagging. It's just a different world of going out but it makes such a difference.

Only reason I ask, it's pretty normal to have a roadie when someone's driving you to town or another party.

Also it's amazing how different and empty clues are from crimes 30 to even 15 years ago are. So many details could be easily fixed. When I was at Curtin, classes either put up class lists or it was pretty easy to find out names of people (girls) in your class. Things like what someone was wearing when, so easy with (especially work parties) people chucking up (what they think is) throwaway snapchats, Instagrams, whatever. Not to mention geolocation tagging. It's just a different world of going out but it makes such a difference.

In the prior road rage incident along Stirling highway only weeks before from work to Eric st, Julie was in the car alone. Be interesting to see what time Dorothy left the Sheraton. And of course the woman in the attempted Sheraton abduction in 1993.

Ms Cutler was at a staff awards night on June 19, 1988. She went to her car with a female colleague late that evening, where they parted ways and Ms Cutler returned briefly to the function.

She was last seen alive leaving the Parmelia Hilton car park in her Fiat sedan about 12.30am on June 20, 1988.

https://thewest.com.au/news/crime/w...issing-perth-woman-julie-cutler-ng-b88870180z

Last edited:

There were no mobile phones or digital cameras back then. Taking photographs was a relatively expensive hobby and mostly films and cameras weren't carried around like they are today. However, yes result lists were posted upon notice boards towards the end of each semester at WAIT. I don't know about Curtin though as I only went to WAIT in 1981. Apparently that was the last year of the Eureka Bar in the Student Guild, but I heard that it changed it's name and was still a popular place on Friday nights. But from what I gather from the media, Julie had left sometime before to go overseas, so I hardly think that someone from her university days would be stalking her that long. The media say that that the Police ruled out her previous boyfriend. If we could dig up that article, it would be handy, if just to save everyone going down dead ends.

There were no mobile phones or digital cameras back then. Taking photographs was a relatively expensive hobby and mostly films and cameras weren't carried around like they are today. However, yes result lists were posted upon notice boards towards the end of each semester at WAIT. I don't know about Curtin though as I only went to WAIT in 1981. Apparently that was the last year of the Eureka Bar in the Student Guild, but I heard that it changed it's name and was still a popular place on Friday nights. But from what I gather from the media, Julie had left sometime before to go overseas, so I hardly think that someone from her university days would be stalking her that long. The media say that that the Police ruled out her previous boyfriend. If we could dig up that article, it would be handy, if just to save everyone going down dead ends.
Yeah... I know...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah. At that age if your driving someone is always hitting you up for a lift , Late at night.Long weekend. Staff party. Free Grog. All done up like a sore toe and she's got the flat to herself for the night. Did she make it back to the flat, was it examined as a possible crime scene by the WAPOL bumblers.? You can bet not.

Swanbourne Nudist Beach circa 1980 s thru to 2000.
Walk along the beach and for fun pick up a rock and throw it into the sand dunes lining the beach,
You are guaranteed to scone one of the assorted , kiddy fiddlers, mashers, compulsive self abusers, gropers, upskirters and general weasels hiding in there for a perv, Was notorious for it 24/7.
I think our car dumper was spending a lot of time in that area morning noon and night..
He knows who is about and when and what he can get away with.
He's hiding out down there quite a bit , perving on lovers in the carpark at night ,lurking in the dunes watching for a T**ty show in the early morning. ...
knows the area like the back of his hand........hes thought about this for some time.... it can be done.....lot of time , hiding there amongst the sand dunes doing the what ifs..... thinking,,,,thinking....

Swanbourne Nudist Beach circa 1980 s thru to 2000.
Walk along the beach and for fun pick up a rock and throw it into the sand dunes lining the beach,
You are guaranteed to scone one of the assorted , kiddy fiddlers, mashers, compulsive self abusers, gropers, upskirters and general weasels hiding in there for a perv, Was notorious for it 24/7.
I think our car dumper was spending a lot of time in that area morning noon and night..
He knows who is about and when and what he can get away with.
He's hiding out down there quite a bit , perving on lovers in the carpark at night ,lurking in the dunes watching for a T**ty show in the early morning. ...
knows the area like the back of his hand........hes thought about this for some time.... it can be done.....lot of time , hiding there amongst the sand dunes doing the what ifs..... thinking,,,,thinking....
I was going to suggest that it would be unlikely due to the Department of Defence would have the area pretty well covered, inasmuch as any monkey spankers digging holes to bury bodies would probably be discovered fairly quickly, especially with all the helicopter fly overs.
But then again, when I was googling MSM to confirm my opinion, I found this...
https://www.watoday.com.au/national...-lewd-act-caught-on-film-20161118-gss98d.html

I was going to suggest that it would be unlikely due to the Department of Defence would have the area pretty well covered, inasmuch as any monkey spankers digging holes to bury bodies would probably be discovered fairly quickly, especially with all the helicopter fly overs.
https://www.watoday.com.au/national...-lewd-act-caught-on-film-20161118-gss98d.html
Havent spent too much time at the beach Pete? Common as & not just Swanbourne. Floreat dunes were notorious for it too in the 80's. No doubt they all have there fair share of deviants and perverts to this day.

Ive spent a fair bit of time both sides of the Defence area of that beach and can honestly say, besides 1-2 times, you wouldnt know they were there.

I was highly embarrassed as a kid on several occasions when my mum exposed them at the top of her voice to the whole beach. "w***er in the dunes" & pointing to them. Good on her.

Last edited:

Like I say Swanbourne was notorious for it.

The Fiat sedan was last seen turning left from Mill Street onto Mounts Bay Road.

Miss Cutler did not arrive home in Fremantle that night and did not attend work at the hotel for her rostered shift later that day.

About 11.45am on Wednesday 22 June 1988, Miss Cutler’s car was located several metres off the shore-line at Cottesloe Beach by a swimmer. The car was about half way between the Surf Life Saving Club and the groyne. At this time the car was upside down, half buried in the sand. The rear seat of the vehicle was located separate to the vehicle.

https://www.crimestopperswa.com.au/...ous-julie-leanne-cutler-perth-wa-20-jun-1988/

Mounts Bay road - Google Maps

https://goo.gl/maps/oHsDhoCDwM22

Last edited:
Havent spent too much time at the beach Pete? Common as & not just Swanbourne. Floreat dunes were notorious for it too in the 80's. No doubt they all have there fair share of deviants and perverts to this day.

Ive spent a fair bit of time both sides of the Defence area of that beach and can honestly say, besides 1-2 times, you wouldnt know they were there.

I was highly embarrassed as a kid on several occasions when my mum exposed them at the top of her voice to the whole beach. "w***er in the dunes" & pointing to them. Good on her.

Plenty of nefarious deviants and perverts around Perth.

Last edited:
What you need to understand about The Parmelia is that at the time there were only two 5 star hotels in the City.

If you had a ball, a wedding or an important work event it was held at the Parmelia or the Sheraton.

It was the height of WA Inc, Brian Burke was in power, Alan Bond, Dallas Dempster and cronies were having long lunches and there was money everywhere. The Banquet Floor (Functions Centre) was booming. I worked on 2 weddings a weekend, every weekend for almost 5 years. We did endless 21sts, Labor Cabinet meetings (all hush hush with the menus destroyed).
https://www.positivelybeaming.com.a...oon-serial-killers-and-tales-of-happier-times

I wonder where David Everett ever got his inspiration for grandiose designs to pull off robberies? What sparked his decision to raise money by committing a crime, when he didn't seem to have antecedents as an habitual criminal? Was it something that happened whilst he was in the SAS? Was it someone who gave him the idea? Or was it an event?
To answer this, might answer another question about why someone might of caused the disappearance of Julie Cutler.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back