Is The Disrespect Real?

Remove this Banner Ad

woosha24

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 5, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
Or is it confirmation bias?

From 2013-2017 the general consensus surrounding the premiers seems to be that they "deserved" the title:

* 2013 - 2015 = Hawthorn dynasty
* 2016 = Dogs drought
* 2017 = Tigers drought

In 2018 the premiership conversation seems to be dominated by how hard done by Buckley and Collingwood have been, or how "lucky" West Coast were to jag one.

There hasn't been a lot of talk surrounding how our systems were setup to take advantage of the current state of the game, how good a number of our key position players were over the season, how we overcame injuries to key personnel at several points in the year, no dissection of the gameplan (unlike 2015 where everything was "Weagles Web"), or even how we managed to claw our way back into the GF after the first-quarter blow out. The majority of the narrative seems to be "it was a tight game, then Dom Sheed kicked the winning goal and everyone went home".

Am I taking crazy pills? I feel like, compared to 05/ 06 and even 15, this side just isn't getting so much as a look-in in the media.

It also feels like the "us vs them" mentality of the 90's is back with a vengeance - Melbourne media sticking the boots in wherever they can, ignorant analysis of the team, etc. What's up with that?

Well, living in Perth, I dont take too much notice of Eastern States media, so I feel we are getting the recognition we deserve. Sometimes i feel that one or two articles published saying "Eagles no chance at the MCG" or similar get talked about way too much on this forum and the perception of us being disrespected gets skewed.

Or is it confirmation bias?

From 2013-2017 the general consensus surrounding the premiers seems to be that they "deserved" the title:

* 2013 - 2015 = Hawthorn dynasty
* 2016 = Dogs drought
* 2017 = Tigers drought

In 2018 the premiership conversation seems to be dominated by how hard done by Buckley and Collingwood have been, or how "lucky" West Coast were to jag one.

There hasn't been a lot of talk surrounding how our systems were setup to take advantage of the current state of the game, how good a number of our key position players were over the season, how we overcame injuries to key personnel at several points in the year, no dissection of the gameplan (unlike 2015 where everything was "Weagles Web"), or even how we managed to claw our way back into the GF after the first-quarter blow out. The majority of the narrative seems to be "it was a tight game, then Dom Sheed kicked the winning goal and everyone went home".

Am I taking crazy pills? I feel like, compared to 05/ 06 and even 15, this side just isn't getting so much as a look-in in the media.

It also feels like the "us vs them" mentality of the 90's is back with a vengeance - Melbourne media sticking the boots in wherever they can, ignorant analysis of the team, etc. What's up with that?

Don't sweat it mate. The general level of footy analysis is very low at the best of times.

We will just do what we always do. Save Australian Rules football from itself and continue on our merry way. KPP are back in vogue and rugby dropball has been exposed. We are the Batman of the AFL.

A little bit of both i reckon.

It does feel like everyones moved on from the premiership win compared to the previous 2 winners, but i think thats more to do with them being so success starved for several decades. Clubs and supporters who follow teams like the dogs, saints, dees would dream of our finals record.

i hope they give us no attention in 2019 and continue to rite us off.

In fairness, how many of us thought we were going to win it? I reckon I'd abandoned hope when we lost NicNat then Gaff.

Jake Niall was on SEN last week talking about how WC had been undersold and how this was a truly exceptional flag-winning effort.

I think what annoyed me was the reaction like we came from nowhere, like people were surprised and didn't even know we were any good because they hadn't bothered to watch us. Seems like they should have at least known we were decent. Look at how high everyone was on Melbourne before the PF. And then we shat on them and people were like "huh WTF?" That was disrespectful to us. Tipping Collingwood at the MCG not so much.

Disrespect, flying under the radar - whatever you want to call it is good for us. Galvanises the playing group thats for sure. You just need to listen to various after game interviews where the players talk about it motivating them even more.

Bring on even more of it in 2019 I say

It's off season, the gushing usually carries into the next season, provided the team starts with a few wins.

06 might have been different because of football's respect for the amazing rivalry with Sydney. Then again, Robert Walls said it was good v evil in the round 1 GF rematch (back in the days before the "traditional" Rich v Carl), so I don't think we got any respect then either.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Im in Adelaide so to you folks Im from the Eastern states and tell you what we hate the Eagles here.
So overrated it sickens me. Completely pulled the flag out your arses, everyone knows it.

Anyhoo Im heading over to Melbourne next week so if there's any messages you have for them let me know.
Bloody filthy Eaterners. Feel sick just thinking about being east of home.

Last edited:
No need to give a toss about what the media do or don’t say. We have the flag and nothing can take that achievement away.

Just enjoy it we dont need the media blow smoke up our ass like they did with richmond and bulldogs .

The likelyhood of us going B2B is slim .
We had best or close to best seasons from a lot of players - darling lycett vardy barrass cripps masten hutch sheed rioli ryan duggan cole hurn gaff all played their best footy .
Can they replicate that form ?

Will we have injuries next year ?

Its nice to think we can but history says otherwise.

Just enjoy the now

Screenshot_20181106-150227.png
This was Shueys 1st post on insta after the game, fair to say the bias is real and the club and players feel it. Think it is a good thing as the players go under the radar and don't get ahead of themselves.
#keepsleepin #keepsleepin2019B2B

View attachment 582046
This was Shueys 1st post on insta after the game, fair to say the bias is real and the club and players feel it. Think it is a good thing as the players go under the radar and don't get ahead of themselves.
#keepsleepin #keepsleepin2019B2B
I can’t get over how good that photo is with NN hiding in there

Remove this Banner Ad

Back