Is Jamie Cripps the most under rated Eagle ever?

Remove this Banner Ad

I’d day Jackson Nelson would be a contender

Below the ******* belt mate
I actually like Mitch. He shouldn’t have been in that EF but I thought he was quite servicable but undone by a lot injuries. It’s a pity cause back then we had Glass, him, Schoey and even Emac to an extent that could play smaller than they were and regularly played on small defenders. Now we are in need for a third tall that is versatile to play on different type of forwards

I also had a soft spot for guys like Michael Braun growing up. Like Sheppard, he was a guy that was never our best player but always one of the first picked because you knew he was going to rock up and play his role every week.
Speak for yourself. After playing against us Jason Akermanis believed that Braun was our best player.

Didn’t aker accuse brauny of being on PED’s?
that-was-the-joke-anthony-vincent.gif

I actually like Mitch. He shouldn’t have been in that EF but I thought he was quite servicable but undone by a lot injuries. It’s a pity cause back then we had Glass, him, Schoey and even Emac to an extent that could play smaller than they were and regularly played on small defenders. Now we are in need for a third tall that is versatile to play on different type of forwards
Yeah I actually didn't mind him tbh and I don't actually blame him for that game, he just shouldn't have been put in that position (literally).
He had some massive bad luck with injuries, actually felt bad for him for a lot of his career.

Yeah I actually didn't mind him tbh and I don't actually blame him for that game, he just shouldn't have been put in that position (literally).
He had some massive bad luck with injuries, actually felt bad for him for a lot of his career.

The hard thing with Mitch Brown is that being based over here in WA and us not getting the trade over the line to send him back east it essentially cut his career short. I actually think he was a superior player and defender than his brother but because his brother played for Collingwood and being eastern states based it kept him in the AFL longer.

Also, yes I do think Jamie Cripps is the most underrated eagle of all time, particularly by our supporters. If we're talking about the media and AFL awards then Shuey has probably been stiffed the most followed by Emac.

Now my memory is hazy but im pretty sure that the year Darren Glass got named AA captain Darren himself said he was surprised he made the team as he wasn't even the best KPD in the team (referring to Emac).

The two other players I consider most underrated from our club are Don Pyke and Brett Heady. Pyke was one of the best centremen of his generation yet gets almost zero recognition and whilst Heady did get a fair bit of love over here in WA he wasn't recognised for being anywhere near as good as he was outside of WA.

Lastly the only other one not mentioned is Guy McKenna. Personally think he was Corey Enright before there was Corey Enright and he was a better mark, cleaner with the ball and a better kick. With those 2000/10's goggles on if he had of played for Geelong he would have had the starting HB spot in the AA team before each year began. It's hard putting him down as underrated because he was widely regarded as a very good player but I think he was one of the all time greats at HB. (not just for us but for the AFL and i'd have him as one side starting HB of the AFL era best team of all time)

Our most overrated player of all time? Glen Jakovich. He was a great player but after the knee was never close to the same yet due to Carey being a ******* moron and trying to dominate Jakovich in the one main strength he had over Carey he is regarded much higher than he should be due to breaking even with most times and on a couple of occasions dominating Carey even during those lesser seasons. He was still considered our best player for a few years but was as the team was falling away. I genuinely think his consistency between 93-95 is what won him the triple best and fairests apart from 94 where he was just an absolute standout. That and his 1 year renaissance of true greatness in a s**t side in 2000 kept him in such good standing. The 3 years prior and the 4 years following almost forgotten as being dead average. (not counting 96 as he only played 12 games due to the knee) In saying that I am probably being harsh here as up until he did his knee in 96 we were still a good shot at the premiership or at least a grand final berth one last time in that era and a lot of that was due to him. Definitely played on a couple of years too long a bit like Pavlich.

...Lastly the only other one not mentioned is Guy McKenna. Personally think he was Corey Enright before there was Corey Enright and he was a better mark, cleaner with the ball and a better kick. With those 2000/10's goggles on if he had of played for Geelong he would have had the starting HB spot in the AA team before each year began. It's hard putting him down as underrated because he was widely regarded as a very good player but I think he was one of the all time greats at HB. (not just for us but for the AFL and i'd have him as one side starting HB of the AFL era best team of all time)...

The absolute prototype of the modern half back flanker. Redefined the role in the sport.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The hard thing with Mitch Brown is that being based over here in WA and us not getting the trade over the line to send him back east it essentially cut his career short. I actually think he was a superior player and defender than his brother but because his brother played for Collingwood and being eastern states based it kept him in the AFL longer.

Also, yes I do think Jamie Cripps is the most underrated eagle of all time, particularly by our supporters. If we're talking about the media and AFL awards then Shuey has probably been stiffed the most followed by Emac.

Now my memory is hazy but im pretty sure that the year Darren Glass got named AA captain Darren himself said he was surprised he made the team as he wasn't even the best KPD in the team (referring to Emac).

The two other players I consider most underrated from our club are Don Pyke and Brett Heady. Pyke was one of the best centremen of his generation yet gets almost zero recognition and whilst Heady did get a fair bit of love over here in WA he wasn't recognised for being anywhere near as good as he was outside of WA.

Lastly the only other one not mentioned is Guy McKenna. Personally think he was Corey Enright before there was Corey Enright and he was a better mark, cleaner with the ball and a better kick. With those 2000/10's goggles on if he had of played for Geelong he would have had the starting HB spot in the AA team before each year began. It's hard putting him down as underrated because he was widely regarded as a very good player but I think he was one of the all time greats at HB. (not just for us but for the AFL and i'd have him as one side starting HB of the AFL era best team of all time)

Our most overrated player of all time? Glen Jakovich. He was a great player but after the knee was never close to the same yet due to Carey being a ******* moron and trying to dominate Jakovich in the one main strength he had over Carey he is regarded much higher than he should be due to breaking even with most times and on a couple of occasions dominating Carey even during those lesser seasons. He was still considered our best player for a few years but was as the team was falling away. I genuinely think his consistency between 93-95 is what won him the triple best and fairests apart from 94 where he was just an absolute standout. That and his 1 year renaissance of true greatness in a s**t side in 2000 kept him in such good standing. The 3 years prior and the 4 years following almost forgotten as being dead average. (not counting 96 as he only played 12 games due to the knee) In saying that I am probably being harsh here as up until he did his knee in 96 we were still a good shot at the premiership or at least a grand final berth one last time in that era and a lot of that was due to him. Definitely played on a couple of years too long a bit like Pavlich.
McKenna being underrated is unexpected but I was a kid in the 90s. Absolutely agree with Don Pyke though.

Brett Jones is up there for me, without perhaps the volume of work the others have.

Was robbed of AA in 2006 and I won’t hear otherwise

Jamie Cripps has always been chronically underrated but for me, the most underrated is Phill Matera.

He averaged more goals per game (2.17), than players such as Eddie Betts and Stephen Milne while his career spanned some of our more unsuccessful years.

A lock for a spot in our greatest ever 22 imo.

Great call on Phil Matera - and Brett Jones too.

Those are the kind of guys I had in mind.

Maybe the better term is Under Appreciated?

Guys like Brett Heady, Chris Lewis, Guy McKenna and Ash McIntosh are all remembered as excellent players and widely acknowledged as such. I wouldn’t consider them under rated at all.

Here's what I like about Jamie Cripps...

He effectively cost us pick 41, then came into the club and was best 22 almost immediately... and has been there ever since. He's generally been durable. And he's one of the fittest, if not the fittest guy on the list. He's never been A-grade. But good clubs are typically built around the quality of their second stringers, and he's been one of the better ones.

It's hard not to love that.

Phil Matera was underrated, he was rated very highly by everyone & was genuiully at the time the best small forward in the game. Cripps is definitely underrated and yes is in that category.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back