Other AAF - Alliance of American Football League

Remove this Banner Ad

Standard of play appears to be MUCH better in the Sunday games.

Tho, they really have to start using home and away uniforms. It's stupid having both home jerseys worn.
They only have one set of unis I think.

This is from SI article where they quote a NFL exec...

“I didn’t get to watch much of the AAF this weekend, but I did have an interesting conversation with an executive for one of the league’s team. He estimated there were 10 players on his, and every AAF, roster that should be in the NFL but aren’t. Among the reasons he cited for some of those guys being on the outside looking in: Players landing with the wrong NFL team from a scheme or cultural standpoint initially, immaturity when the players got their NFL shot, or NFL teams just missing on guys. Sometimes we forget that with the massive number of players there are in the NFL—up to 1,696 during the regular season and nearly 3,000 in the offseason—there are bound to be a ton of guys sitting on the fringe, who can be either in or out for pretty arbitrary reasons.”

https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/02/18/b...l-coaches-kyler-murray-scouts-kaepernick-reid

https://aaf.com/prominent-sports-owner-and-entrepreneur-tom-dundon

PROMINENT SPORTS OWNER AND ENTREPRENEUR TOM DUNDON COMMITS $250 MILLION TO THE ALLIANCE OF AMERICAN FOOTBALL

SAN FRANCISCO, Calif. -- February 19, 2019 -- The Alliance of American Football today announced that prominent major league sports owner, operator and entrepreneur Tom Dundon has committed $250 million to the dynamic, newly formed professional football league.

The Alliance debuted as the highest rated sports program in primetime on February 9, 2019 on CBS, with additional broadcast partnerships across NFL Network and Turner Sports adding millions more. Over 6 million people watched The Alliance in its inaugural weekend. In addition to top-flight football, The Alliance’s proprietary technology -- including The Alliance App -- is supported by strategic partner and investor MGM Resorts International.

“Since the beginning, it has been crucial that the foundation of The Alliance be set with world-class partners and Tom Dundon represents just that,” said Charlie Ebersol, co-founder and CEO, The Alliance. “Tom, Bill Polian and I will work with our great team at the Alliance to expand our football operations and technology business. Tom is a self-made American success story who brings a wealth of knowledge in the sports, entertainment and finance worlds and proven leadership to our organization.”

Dundon will serve as chairman of The Alliance board of directors effective immediately. Tom is an accomplished entrepreneur, investor, and the principal owner of the Carolina Hurricanes of the National Hockey League. Dundon is also the co-founder of Trinity Forest Golf Club in Dallas, home of the PGA Tour’s AT&T Byron Nelson, the majority owner of Employer Direct Healthcare, a healthcare services company, and a primary investor in the global sports entertainment company, Topgolf.

“As a lifelong sports fan and entrepreneur, I’ve always valued the opportunities generated in the ecosystem of sports and entertainment,” said Dundon. “I’m impressed with The Alliance’s stunning growth in-stadium and across TV, mobile and social media in just these first few weeks.”

He added, “The Alliance has built a foundation of high-quality football, revolutionary technology, and world-class partnerships with the NFL, CBS, Turner Sports and MGM Resorts International and I’m excited to work with Charlie, Bill and the league’s partners to help accelerate the growth of The Alliance in its next phase as a company.”

Charles Johnson likes lack of “politics” in AAF

Posted by Josh Alper on February 22, 2019, 11:25 AM EST

gettyimages-1014751308-e1550852716307.jpg

Getty Images

Wide receiver Charles Johnson played 39 games for the Vikings between 2014 and 2016, but a knee injury kept him out after signing with the Panthers in 2017 and he failed to make the Jets out of camp in 2018.

Johnson said he “lost that love that I once had growing up and playing in high school and college” after those experiences, which may have been why he initially passed on an invitation to play for the Alliance of American Football. After hearing from former teammates who were enjoying the league, Johnson changed his mind and signed with the Arizona Hotshots.

His first two games have resulted in 233 receiving yards and the overall experience of playing in a new league is one that’s been enjoyable thus far.

“Everybody’s pretty much equal,” Johnson said, via the AAF’s website “There’s no politics in this situation. The NFL’s different. If you’re a first-round pick, if you’re not playing, that looks bad on the guys upstairs, so they’re going to make sure you’re out there playing. When you’re out here, they just want to see the best players out there, and win games.”

Continued success over the rest of the season may leave Johnson in position to decide whether he’s going to wade back into the NFL’s political pool for a shot at returning to the league in 2019.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Arizona, Salt Lake tied after one half

Posted by Mike Florio on February 23, 2019, 4:26 PM EST

ap_19044674755281-e1550957155846.jpg

AP

The AAF has made its debut in Salt Lake City. Not many have shown up to see the game in person.

What those who are there have seen is a game tied 9-9 through two quarters.

Just before halftime, Arizona scored a touchdown and added a two-point conversion. After replay review, the ruling on the field was overturned, wiping out the two points and leaving the game knotted.

Arizona quarterback John Wolford has 127 passing yards. Receiver Rashard Ross has 51 of those yards, with a touchdown catch.

Far more important to the aesthetic of the new league, the first game of Week Three also seems to be featuring a revised officiating uniform that creates much less of a zebra midriff vibe. The best approach would be to simply embrace the same black and white stripes used at every level of football, without getting fancy for the sake of being fancy. Stripes are used not because they look good, but because they differentiate the officials from the players.

The second half of Saturday’s game will stream at AAF.com. If it’s still tied at the end of the next two quarters, the AAF will have its first overtime game ever.

First time I've sat down and watched a full game.

It's.... not bad I guess. Over the course of the game there was no one that really stood out like a sore thumb for ineptitude. But there were no real star performers either, and it wasn't particularly exciting or entertaining.

I wouldn't give up on the basis of one game - you get plenty of dull games in the NFL too - but it wasn't a great first impression.

Express lose another game, but possibly find a quarterback

Posted by Mike Florio on February 23, 2019, 11:05 PM EST

gettyimages-596879298-e1550980949144.jpg

Getty Images

The Christian Hackenberg era is finally over. And the Age of Mettenberger has returned.

Mettenberger, who started 10 games (with zero wins) between 2014 and 2015 for the Titans, replaced Hackenberg at the start of the second half on Saturday night in Orlando, with Memphis down 9-0. Mettenberger led the Express to three scoring drives over the final 30 minutes, pushing the Apollos to the limit in a 21-17 win.

Orlando, which was favored to win by 15.5 points, chewed up the final 5:32 after Mettenberger’s second touchdown pass of the night (followed by a successful throw to the end zone for a two-point conversion) trimmed the margin to four.

Mettenberger finished with 120 passing yards; Hackenberg, a second-round pick of the Jets in 2016 who never played in an NFL regular-season game, managed 88 before he was benched.

For Orlando, quarterback Garrett Gilbert threw for 207 yards and added 43 on the ground, including a 21-yard touchdown run that gave the Apollos their final point total.

Orlando has won all three of its games; the Express have yet to finagle a victory. But with Mettenberger now under center — and Hackenberg likely done as the starter — that could change.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back