Review FOX Footy Grand Final Recap - ‘We’re Flying High’. Airs Wednesday March 20 @ 5.30pm WST

Remove this Banner Ad

A touch underwhelming.
I was worried when I saw it was only 30 mins long including ads.
I thought the whole idea was to show key moments of the game with the coaches and players discussing unknown aspects of this.
This combined with previously unseen footage is supposed to be the basis of the show.
This looked like a quick knock up and less interesting than Raw Emotion, the unseen Eagle player celebrations after the siren and the Brereton summary on AFL 360.

AFL season launch vid far superior, even at half the run time. I’ve seen that last play culminating in the Sheed goal so many times but I legit didn’t realise the narrative of the film until they played the passage in that last section. It didn’t click we were hearing from the four players involved in that passage, so when that moment clicked for me, and realising they’d been setting up the whole vid with backstory and emotion, for that moment, that passage of play - I was blown away. A brilliant film, even if you’re not an Eagles fan.

The Foxtel video was just some play-by-play hokum, some nice commentary from the Eagles players and irrelevant commentary from the Foxtel guys.

I thought it was great, even though the narrative of the AFL one was a bit clearer.

Watching that and the David King bit on 360 made me realise one thing though.. we need to get more camera angles available during play. Having a down the ground shot available would be awesome. And the shot of Lycett Duggan and Venners with hands on heads on the bench as Darling drops the mark is classic.

Just watched - not a huge fan of it but did enjoy Sheed saying he was happy Darling dropped that mark in the goal square LOL.

Too much of Fox commentators telling us what they know. Johnson as the narrator was all wrong - he sounded bored shitless.

Gaff in the middle was just random ? Made more sense him talking at the end about guys who missed but his first appearance didnt make sense.

AFL vid gave me goosebumps - this was just trash in comparison. Can't help but think if it was about the Pies it would have gone for 3hrs.

Johnson as the narrator was all wrong - he sounded bored shitless.

Brad Johnson having a media gig is the definition of 'boys club', but not in the worst way. He doesn't offer much, but he does giggle a lot. He seems like a nice jovial guy that people like having around.

It's a bit cute. We all have those mates that we give a leg up who probably don't deserve it.

But ya terrible narrator, I'd rather Lingy.... actually I can't endorse that even in jest.

Underwhelming, but it will sit nicely in my curated 2018 spank bank.

I think 'documentary' got us expecting more. More background insight, before and after the game. It was more of a glorified game breakdown.

The AFL one was definitely better, it had a defined narrative and looked slick. I wonder if the AFL is dipping their toes into production, which they can then on-sell to the networks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Brad Johnson having a media gig is the definition of 'boys club', but not in the worst way. He doesn't offer much, but he does giggle a lot. He seems like a nice jovial guy that people like having around.

It's a bit cute. We all have those mates that we give a leg up who probably don't deserve it.

But ya terrible narrator, I'd rather Lingy.... actually I can't endorse that even in jest.

Johnson does have a bit to do with Academy kids which offers a good insight, but yeah tactically he doesn't seem that sharp with his comments.

Always liked him as a player though, despite tearing us a new a-hole everytime we played.

Pretty much ditto from me to the comments above. It was still mildly enjoyable, but could have been a lot better. The AFL one set the bar too high I think.

Last edited:
I thought it was actually pretty lame.

Jon Brown ‘Blokey-Bloking’ - he’s basically a caricature. Dermott (in general, you know what I mean). Nick Reiwoldt - would have been better on a Collingwood Recap, considering his in-depth knowledge of NOT winning Grand Finals...and BOB MURPHY!? Why? To add input about what it’s like to miss a flag?...even though they already shoe-horned Gaff and Naitanui into the middle of the game?

Can be neatly recut into a Fox Footy advert I guess?

It's that awkward moment when a workmate cries and you don't really care but you feel like you should do something.
He’s gutted that McGovern managed to get up IMO. He was looking forward to playing in a grandy.

Which makes me wonder - what is the fewest number of games someone has played before playing in a grand final?

Didn't add much beyond a bit of new insight from the players.

There were some awesome slow motion sequences, like the wrestle to control the game in the 2nd as we went goal-for-goal. Soundtrack was really well done and synchronised with the footage.

Let's face it - it was a crap, half-assed token effort by the Fox Footy team that continuously wrote us off throughout the season and remain salty about Melbourne getting embarrassed in the Preliminary Final.

As has been mentioned, there was more coverage of Magpie goals than of the team that actually won...

Furthermore, previous years' efforts have been about the club during the season, with coaches and players giving insight into what they felt were the turning points that made them realise they were capable of becoming a premiership team.

For example last year they described the following for Richmond:
  • they had transformed from 2016 to 2017, turning over almost the entirety of their coaching panel and establishing a new mentality during the off-season.
  • built momentum on the back of Cotchin's leadership and Martin's Brownlow season.
  • detailed in depth how the Tigers lost to Geelong in Round 21 and had the opportunity to exact revenge against them in the Qualifying Final at the MCG a month later.
  • how Tex Walker strangely let go of the cup first in the Mexican standoff between him and Cotchin the day before the Grand Final.
And that is before the last match of the season is even mentioned.

In comparison, this year offered nothing of the same.

Seriously any half-decent effort of our 2018 would cover the following before even getting to the Grand Final:
  • Being panned in the off-season by everyone.
  • Confounding those lowly expectations by demonstrating a new attractive brand of play that places the club in the finals mix.
  • Destroying Richmond in Round 9, to take top spot and announce to the league they are a genuine contender for the premiership.
  • Winning 10 matches in row.
  • Injuries and fatigue leading to three consecutive losses, potentially derailing the season.
  • Defeating Collingwood at the MCG for the first time in 23 years.
  • Naitanui suffering a second ACL.
  • The Gaff incident, suspension and resultant media flogfest directed against the club, which galvanised the squad with another after the siren victory against Port Adelaide.
  • The loss at home to Melbourne in Round 22, where the depth of the squad was brought into question.
  • The come from behind effort in the last quarter to defeat Collingwood in the Qualifying Final.
  • Getting revenge against the Demons in the Preliminary Final.
  • 2015 against Hawthorn.

And as for coverage of the match itself, some of the comments from the players were great, however the coverage itself provided no cohesive narrative behind it - which is astounding considering this single game had probably more stories within it than any other game that I can ever recall - it really did have everything. Yet somehow, this effort felt disjointed and hollow, which goes to show just how poor of an effort this really is.

The Season Launch Don't Believe in Never is a far, far, far superior piece of work.

How can you mention the defence during the second and omit Barrass? He was only the best player on the ground in that quarter FFS...

And seriously WTF was going on ending it with Darling's drop, Naitanui being sad and just cutting off abruptly?...

We need to go back-to-back now just so we can get a decent recap done of our premiership.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back