NFL 2019 Free Agency

Remove this Banner Ad

Is Brown really one of the best RTs in the NFL...not for me. Von Miller is just as good on both sides of the LOS (ask CamNewton) I'm sure Mack could be as well if asked. Aside from all that, tell me how players NE let walk generally perform when given a massive contract by another team, Chandler Jones the only one who's lived up to the contract of recent times that I can think of.

Williams was fit his first two years in the league ,just didn't get playing time while being developed. Not like has a massive injury history or anything.

They can rush both sides but the majority of their snaps are rushing over the right tackle. Von Miller was quoted in 2017 that Trent Brown was the best right tackle in the league. Whilst I don't agree with that comment I don't think such praise would be coming from Miller unless there was significant talent there.

Yes the patriot way often sees players decline when they leave new england. Not as concerned about that given Brown's play with the Niners was already very, very good prior to joining new england last year. Had he spent his entire career in New England then I'd definitely consider that to be a factor going against him.

https://www.denverpost.com/2019/03/17/nfl-free-agency-biggest-moves-worth-the-price/

Analysis: In NFL free agency, the biggest moves rarely prove to be worth the price

But in most cases, free agency turns out to be a costly fling. Consider the following:

— Of the 49 highest-paid players in 2016 free agency, only 14 remain on the teams that signed them.

— Of the 60 highest-paid players in 2017 free agency, only 22 remain.

— Of players from the 2018 free agent class who received $5 million per year or more, 14 are -already no longer with the teams that signed them.

Instead of wasting money simulating not having an OL, we will just roll without one next year.

Kirk's getting paid entire offensive line money, gotta earn his keep.

Kirk's getting paid entire offensive line money, gotta earn his keep.
I don't believe it is a question of whether or not the Vikings are over-paying for Cousins but more of a question of whether or not they have thrown too much money at the defence. Currently the Vikings are #2 in the league are far as spending on the defence is concerned and #20 on the offensive side.

IMO for Cousins to succeed as a QB he needs more talent around him and that means more money spent on the offence. Zimmer is supposedly this defensive genius, but I would argue that anyone could get good defensive results with the team that he has put together on that side of the ball.

The Vikings are now in a situation where they either need to dedicate all their resources in the draft to the offense or trade away some defensive talent to free up some cap space. The problem with the second plan is that the it is very slim pickings in free agency now on the OL.

I don't believe it is a question of whether or not the Vikings are over-paying for Cousins but more of a question of whether or not they have thrown too much money at the defence. Currently the Vikings are #2 in the league are far as spending on the defence is concerned and #20 on the offensive side.

IMO for Cousins to succeed as a QB he needs more talent around him and that means more money spent on the offence. Zimmer is supposedly this defensive genius, but I would argue that anyone could get good defensive results with the team that he has put together on that side of the ball.

The Vikings are now in a situation where they either need to dedicate all their resources in the draft to the offense or trade away some defensive talent to free up some cap space. The problem with the second plan is that the it is very slim pickings in free agency now on the OL.

Matt Kalil is available, Sven 😝

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Excellent post by one of my favourite posters .

Kudos to Sven never baffled or swayed by the bullshit or fairy floss , rather just a great appreciation and understanding of the reality and pragmatism of the game .

Posters who can view and comment on their own teams, with such a balanced viewpoint and in such a no nonsense manner , are as scarce as rocking horse s**t.

Kudos to Sven never baffled or swayed by the bullshit or fairy floss , rather just a great appreciation and understanding of the reality and pragmatism of the game .

Posters who can view and comment on their own teams, with such a balanced viewpoint and in such a no nonsense manner , are as scarce as rocking horse s**t.
Cheers Monocle, very much appreciated.

With the Vikings agreeing to terms with with Josh Kline and Ameer Abdullah in recent days I’m very interested to see how they’re fitting them into the cap. My guess is someone has agreed to a restructure or someone is about to be traded. There won’t be any announcements until you see the obligatory signing tweet, but surely the news will come sooner rather than later.

The exact same problem is happening in reverse for the Raiders. Gruden the offensive guru investing over 100m into the O, and neglecting the D to the tune of 40m. And the same thing will probably happen to the Raiders as the Vikings -- Gruden a top 5 O but the D struggles badly, whilst Zimmer has a top 5 D but the O struggles badly, and both teams fail to win championships until their front offices square the ledger, balance the talent and the expense into O and D equally.

The exact same problem is happening in reverse for the Raiders. Gruden the offensive guru investing over 100m into the O, and neglecting the D to the tune of 40m. And the same thing will probably happen to the Raiders as the Vikings -- Gruden a top 5 O but the D struggles badly, whilst Zimmer has a top 5 D but the O struggles badly, and both teams fail to win championships until their front offices square the ledger, balance the talent and the expense into O and D equally.

Yes GG.exe I concur .

I get your point and agree, the key factor and watch point is a balanced list.

Easy to be swayed and enamoured by a particular star studded section of a roster be that O , D or sometimes ST, its the ability to make a mark in all three phases of the game that makes a team a tricky opponent.

I always look at the philosophical & chemical balance between the appointed HC : his OC and DC.

Often you look at the fit and say WTF ... how is that going to work...cant see a synergy there.

And sometimes its the no name, low profile guys, in the coaching group that just works as a collective ,as they are in synch.

Whilst I have a personal preference for a slightly stronger D , they need a better than average O to get it done.
D restricts scores but you need a competent O to take advantage of that and puts enough point up there to win.

I am going to piss LicoriceAllsorts off here but his saviour Elway "just doesn't get this" as the Donkeys D has been amazing over the last seven years..... yet with out Payton they haven't fired a shot.
And Manning help hide a lot of O line cracks.
Quite ironic that Elway an elite QB cant identify or draft one for s**t.

No question its a balanced list and an equally in tuned coaching group thats always the point of difference.

But hey isn't that one of the quirk and nuances of team sports... whats that saying " A championship team will always beat a team of champions" it may be and old saying but its just as apt and relevant today as it ever was.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back