2019 Trade thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I disagree that we have a core of a team in place. I believe we're still very thin down back and up forward. In fact I'd go as far to say that we have only one defender (Andrews) and two forwards (Cameron & Rayner) I'd count as a core, with a possible three more players with potential (Gardiner, Witherden & Hipwood).

I believe we have a core 6 in the midfield, but largely untested potential beyond that.

I find the logic really hard to follow, that Rayner is core but Witherden and Hipwood are potential. They are either all core or none are. In fact, Rayner is the least proven of them all.

And to exclude Gardiner as core is just plain strange and reeks of recency bias, given he finished 4th in the B&F, last year despite missing 2 games.

I am curious to know who the core 6 are in your opinion. Thanks.
Cutler, Neale, JBerry, McCluggage, Bailey, and Taylor. And I waiver on whether to include Mathieson or not.

Also, When we're talking about a core, I'm talking about players who a likely to be part of a potential top four team. I really question whether Rich and Zorko will either still be on the list then, or performing at their current form.

I find the logic really hard to follow, that Rayner is core but Witherden and Hipwood are potential. They are either all core or none are. In fact, Rayner is the least proven of them all.

And to exclude Gardiner as core is just plain strange and reeks of recency bias, given he finished 4th in the B&F, last year despite missing 2 games.
I guess I'm in the minority here as I really am not that high on Hipwood. He's more of a 2014cm HFF rather than a genuine KPF. He struggles with contested marks and running any sort of leading patterns in the forward 50.

I believe Rayner has a higher ceiling than Witherden, if he's left to play his natural game as a medium forward with very short stints in the midfield.

I believe Witherden's natural role in the team is the role Hodge is playing now, as a general defender who directs the troops from the backline. But I want to see more discipline in his game, while keeping those natural attacking instincts. Right now, Witherden has been giving away to many free's in bad positions that have hurt the team. Also it looks like he's been told reign in his attacking game, which I believe might be causing some of his mistakes.

As for Gardiner, my concerns are more about his durability and his longevity in the game. He's obviously playing hurt at the moment, and it's really affecting his performances.

I believe Witherden's natural role in the team is the role Hodge is playing now, as a general defender who directs the troops from the backline. But I want to see more discipline in his game, while keeping those natural attacking instincts. Right now, Witherden has been giving away to many free's in bad positions that have hurt the team. Also it looks like he's been told reign in his attacking game, which I believe might be causing some of his mistakes.
Just in regards to Witherdens attacking game, l remember him saying that the best piece of advice he got from Hodge was that during the early parts of the season, every teams defense is sorted, so he should just be extra careful about not trying to do too much until later on.

Not word for word but this was the gist of it.

Still not quite sure I follow the logic briztoon but I think I get that this is more your gut feel than anything objective. I mean, Cutler really can't be considered "core" on any objective measure but if you are high on him, then that's cool. I probably rely a bit more on who the coaches select week in, week out.

Trade targets... left footers... at least a wingman and a halfback.... any ideas?
From my limited viewing the left footed half back maybe already on our list ie. Mitchell Hinge, I think he deserves a shot off half back, has a really good penetrating left leg on him, he may get a go when Hodgey has a rest.

Cutler, Neale, JBerry, McCluggage, Bailey, and Taylor. And I waiver on whether to include Mathieson or not.

Also, When we're talking about a core, I'm talking about players who a likely to be part of a potential top four team. I really question whether Rich and Zorko will either still be on the list then, or performing at their current form.

I guess I'm in the minority here as I really am not that high on Hipwood. He's more of a 2014cm HFF rather than a genuine KPF. He struggles with contested marks and running any sort of leading patterns in the forward 50.

I believe Rayner has a higher ceiling than Witherden, if he's left to play his natural game as a medium forward with very short stints in the midfield.

As for Gardiner, my concerns are more about his durability and his longevity in the game. He's obviously playing hurt at the moment, and it's really affecting his performances.

For someone 20 meters tall Hipwood is really under performing

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interesting to see that Parish has been dropped - mind you the ins for the bombers are pretty good.
However, I would have thought that Parish would have held his place in the side.

Wonder what his contract status is and whether our club would be interested in pursuing him.

Interesting to see that Parish has been dropped - mind you the ins for the bombers are pretty good.
However, I would have thought that Parish would have held his place in the side.

Wonder what his contract status is and whether our club would be interested in pursuing him.
Unsigned, out of contract.

I wonder if we could lure Darcy Parish up here. We desperately need some more talent in our midfield. He is a bit vanilla, but a good player, just needs some confidence and opportunity to be a bigger part of a midfield (Essendon obviously bat a bit deeper than us in that area).

Hopefully Matho can plant a few seeds in his mind that coming up here would be a good fit.

I wonder if we could lure Darcy Parish up here. We desperately need some more talent in our midfield. He is a bit vanilla, but a good player, just needs some confidence and opportunity to be a bigger part of a midfield (Essendon obviously bat a bit deeper than us in that area).

Hopefully Matho can plant a few seeds in his mind that coming up here would be a good fit.
Yep I'd definitely take him, has something, might just need a fresh start. He'll come reasonably cheap as well if he can't crack a regular spot in the Bombers side this year.

Would he do that, bringing Parish up here wiuld push Matho out

Remove this Banner Ad

Back