Opinion Commentary & Media IV

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm still of the mind that if they want to reduce congestion and speed the game up all they need to do is streamline throw-ins and ball-ups. Make the players get the ball clear and on the ground or in the ump's hands ASAP, no nominating ruck nonsense, no waiting 10 seconds for players to untangle themselves off the ground, just get the play moving again as fast as possible. Teams simply wouldn't have as much time to get extra players around the ball or drastically alter their setups which to me feels like it would lead to less congestion, faster play, and more scoring. I think the ruck nominating rules have been awful in this regard.

That said, I like the 5 meter area for the man on the mark, but think basically every other aspect of the rule changes are pretty ******* iffy.

Watching games in the 90’s, there wasn’t a chance for congestion because they’d call for the ball as soon as it didn’t spill out.

No yelling ‘get it out, get it out’....wait three seconds...call for ball.

Watching games in the 90’s, there wasn’t a chance for congestion because they’d call for the ball as soon as it didn’t spill out.

No yelling ‘get it out, get it out’....wait three seconds...call for ball.

Go back to the 70s and 80s and umpires would often call for the ball in a 50/50 situation where you could arguably pay a free kick either way. He would then bounce it as soon as he was thrown the ball. No preening or waiting for rucks to arrive.

Go back to the 70s and 80s and umpires would often call for the ball in a 50/50 situation where you could arguably pay a free kick either way. He would then bounce it as soon as he was thrown the ball. No preening or waiting for rucks to arrive.
My dad often laments that all the holding the ball bullshit tweaks and such were never previously necessary because you were just deemed to have been tackled as soon as it happened. No waiting, waiting, waiting, oh its come out somehow play on.

A penalty of one third of the field for a player moving on the mark....

This league gets more laughable by the year...

I suppose there is one benefit to not playing on Thursday/Friday nights; we always get to see what the 'rule of the week' is before our games!

I kind of feel for Richmond and Carlton (wait no I don't) since they will get to be the first teams to be guinea pigs in a regular season game before the AFL ease back on the 'interpretation' these rules like they do for everything else (until we get pinged for them about 5 times in a game in the back half of the season to remind everyone they still exist when they want to pay them).

I suppose there is one benefit to not playing on Thursday/Friday nights; we always get to see what the 'rule of the week' is before our games!

............except the week starts on Sunday..........and we're usually the Guinea Pig.

I'm still of the mind that if they want to reduce congestion and speed the game up all they need to do is streamline throw-ins and ball-ups. Make the players get the ball clear and on the ground or in the ump's hands ASAP, no nominating ruck nonsense, no waiting 10 seconds for players to untangle themselves off the ground, just get the play moving again as fast as possible. Teams simply wouldn't have as much time to get extra players around the ball or drastically alter their setups which to me feels like it would lead to less congestion, faster play, and more scoring. I think the ruck nominating rules have been awful in this regard.

Its like the people making these decisions don't really understand the game. Its the single biggest issue in the game atm I reckon.

If players don't stand the mark but flood back and two players man the space 5 m either side of the man on the mark, but start from behind the kicker and run parallel then it shouldn't take long to make that rule look like a farce. Some might say its a little complex but not really, its just a matter of focus and discipline.

If we're planning to play fast open footy the rule change should help tho. If we can move the ball fast and well into an open forward line full of medium forwards we should kick alot of goals.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Another little clue perhaps about likely team structure.

We’re all thinking Waller, Ziebel, Campbell, Xerri??!

Zurhaar - I’m taking that spot!

Makes sense he would love to become a one/two punch with his roommate Larks.

Cam at CHF? Sure , take it son , make it yours!!

I was actually thinking Garner. However, Zurhaar is clearly taller. In fact, he’s taller and slightly heavier than Ziebell - so it makes perfect sense really.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I was actually thinking Garner. However, Zurhaar is clearly taller. In fact, he’s taller and slightly heavier than Ziebell - so it makes perfect sense really.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Our 2020 leading goal kicker in fact!
(Note: Equal lowest ever leading goal score total for Nth with Stuart Anderson from 1937.... But leading nonetheless!)

They have a continual agenda to speed the game up when that is the real problem with football.
A former work-mate of mine who played for the Go-Dees but had some roles at North and was a big-time North Supporter was telling me how this was high in his list of concerns, probably 25 years ago. His son won a junior metro leage B&F, but was short and a footballer more-so than an athlete. The boy was never drafted to an AFL side because the focus was on athletes who could be trained to play football rather than pure footballers so the father reckoned. Maybe his son just wasn't quite as good as this bloke hoped he was, but a short slow Ben Cunnington type was not on any AFL club's RADAR as they were all chasing speed.

Modern players mostly have to be a combination of fast freaks and endurance beasts - a few pure footballers will make it but you really couldn't build a team of good footballers these days as the game has evolved.

For better or worse.

1612833365750.png

Who thought this was a good pose let alone a good shot to release?

Looks like he's doing an impersonation of Nick Dal Santo doing an impersonation of Ross Lyon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back