Opinion Commentary & Media IV

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's a small thing but there's a whiff of Noble being the club's saviour in that last article, that I don't like. I think he'll be very good for North, but despite last year going pear-shaped, especially for Shaw, there was a lot to like at the club already - previous articles and quotes have talked about that, and why this is an exciting opportunity for Noble and the new coaches. I don't want the story now or later to turn into how it was a shambles, saved by one guy's intervention.

Great post!

Completely agree H2H, it’s concerning.

The development of our youngsters and them establishing themselves happened under Shaws and that needs to be recognised.

His legacy will be the style in which we play, which frankly couldn’t be worse than last year, even if that was his intention.

Anyone with 2 functioning eyeballs could see that the club was a shambles.

That is unless people equate the club as being about something other than football. I'd put H2H in that category.

Anyone with 2 functioning eyeballs could see that the club was a shambles.

That is unless people equate the club as being about something other than football. I'd put H2H in that category.

If you put the pre-Brady, Luff, Clayton era as not having their eye on the prize so to speak. How do you see the football department and their priorities as it stands now?

And are they empowered by the board to prioritise winning, in your thoughts?

If you put the pre-Brady, Luff, Clayton era as not having their eye on the prize so to speak. How do you see the football department and their priorities as it stands now?

Yes, provided they get what they want and the community engagement posse never talk to them again.

And are they empowered by the board to prioritise winning, in your thoughts?

My take is that the board knew that if they didn't address actual football better, then they were going to become extinct themselves. Council toilets and balanced spread sheets can only keep actual football supporters engaged for so long.

Do I think they are handing over ultimate decision making and complete financial support to the footy dept? I can't say yet.

Poll has closed. As you know Mods shut my thread down.

I'll count the votes soon and the winner (an eligible one that is), will have $250 to spend at RooShop either directly or Online as I'll deposit money to the RooShop on the person's behalf.
Mate I've just compiled the votes.

In unrelated news, I'm in the market for an uncrushed soul if someone could be on the lookout please?

Yes, provided they get what they want and the community engagement posse never talk to them again.

My take is that the board knew that if they didn't address actual football better, then they were going to become extinct themselves. Council toilets and balanced spread sheets can only keep actual football supporters engaged for so long.

Do I think they are handing over ultimate decision making and complete financial support to the footy dept? I can't say yet.

I’ve been wondering how much autonomy and resources have been given to Brady and co.

Looking at the aggressive list reshaping and listening to Brady, Luff, and Clayton on the Members Q&A it seems as though they work unrestricted.

Jury is out for me, proof needs to be in the pudding and that’s winning regularly.

I suspect if the board sticks to Arden St redevelopment, finances, community activities etc and allow Brady and co to worry about the football we should see improvement.

The club were declaring finals bound with Rhyce though so best to not get ahead of ourselves.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

It's a small thing but there's a whiff of Noble being the club's saviour in that last article, that I don't like. I think he'll be very good for North, but despite last year going pear-shaped, especially for Shaw, there was a lot to like at the club already - previous articles and quotes have talked about that, and why this is an exciting opportunity for Noble and the new coaches. I don't want the story now or later to turn into how it was a shambles, saved by one guy's intervention.

I think to some degree there is the positive media spin on things, a saviour is a message of hope, as opposed to the doom and gloom which is more of the same.

We showed signs late in Brads term and in spurts during Shaw's term that we could play some decent footy, we just had a lack of class, a lack of speed and we lost a fair bit of x-factor going forward with the departure of Wells, Harvey, etc over the years and now with Higgins.

We were just too slow to develop talent and we didn't quite hit a high enough peak or ability to sustain a level of output in enough players. I think we accumulated a lot of young talent before the Noble was even interviewed, it was all very raw though and the limitations we had under Brad didn't seem to have been addressed under Shaw. We ended up with a more likeable Brad in the end, I didn't see much change when it came to having a system of moving the ball out of the defensive 50 when under pressure, our midfield structures, our ability to setup plays to isolate matchups in our favour up forward, we seemed to just go with Plan A and if it worked, great, if it didn't then we would get the s**t kicked out of us.

It seemed we were too much of a boys club and it didn't seem like Brad was control of it, when we had howlers and he promised changed, within days he had to reign that back in and go with no change. Shaw started enforcing some standards and he had a nervous breakdown dealing with it. I am not sure how you are meant to enforce minimum standards when you do not discipline those who consistently fall well below it. I am not sure if Noble and the new crew are going to be any better than the previous lot, but I hope it is a line in the sand in terms of accepting mediocrity. Be as loyal as you can be, but we must put the club first.

It seemed we were too much of a boys club and it didn't seem like Brad was control of it, when we had howlers and he promised changed, within days he had to reign that back in and go with no change. Shaw started enforcing some standards and he had a nervous breakdown dealing with it. I am not sure how you are meant to enforce minimum standards when you do not discipline those who consistently fall well below it. I am not sure if Noble and the new crew are going to be any better than the previous lot, but I hope it is a line in the sand in terms of accepting mediocrity. Be as loyal as you can be, but we must put the club first.

Not sure trying to set minimum standards was Shaw's undoing. Being away from family due to COVID, assistant coaches who didn't display the most supportive behaviour, and trying to get some wins desperately after stating we were finals bound probably contributed significantly more.

But yeah, we can't accept mediocrity for on-field performance.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can confirm.
He was 2 votes ahead of Snake around page 10 or 11, and then about 30 behind him by the soul-sucking end. 👍

Pykie's a good honest battler, but he's not runner up to me material.

Give him the best clubman award or something like that.

Great post!

Completely agree H2H, it’s concerning.

The development of our youngsters and them establishing themselves happened under Shaws and that needs to be recognised.

His legacy will be the style in which we play, which frankly couldn’t be worse than last year, even if that was his intention.

I get the point but I wouldn't worry about it too much - the proof will be in actions not PR fluff from clubs that nowadays are too scared to say much of anything even mildly out there.

I never had issues with the fluff Brad Scott would sometimes wheel out in pressers, what annoyed me was repeating the same kind of gambling selection mistakes over and over. The PR stuff is literally nothing more than that most of the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back