List Mgmt. 2021 Draft picks: 4/33/75

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Schoenberg has looked great when he gets a run in there, but the 68% tog says he doesnt have the tank yet to take on much more without losing impact.
Berry is the one I've been more disappointed with his usage. Could easily rework his/Sloane's roles to get him more time in there....
I think Shoey needs a rest, give him a week to refresh and then bring him back. Looks tired and very fumbly lately, it would be good for him. He’s shown great sign to become a very good player

Can't agree, Matt when fit offers way more than Rory Sloane 2021 onwards and I also disagree his kicking is poor, it's certainly not elite but poor...cetainly not, just another Adelaide board fallacy and I'd argue better than Ben Keays and certainly no worse than Rory Laird.
I think Crouch is at minimum equal to Laird by foot, and probably better once you consider kicks over 40m.

Crouch would have the best disposal of our senior midfielders. I don't think that's a good thing ...

...Don't think celebrating losing is the right term but understanding the potential benefits and just because a club is crap for 2-3 years doesn't.mean it will be for the next 20...

It is literally the most correct term. Post-loss, people are literally celebrating moving up the draft ladder.

Although Matt is usually a lot safer with his kicking (hence why he's usually more accurate than Laird/Keays), I agree with your sentiment

In the case that Matt stays - it's gonna be interesting how we fit all four of Sloane/Matt/Keays/Laird in the side without losing class (as all four are really primarily contested midfielders)
Yeah, that's the issue.

EITHER you move Sloane and Keays out as full-time midfielders or you trade someone.

Though don't suggest trading Keays ...

One last thing DAKids - Newchurch is only 18 playing in his first season of SANFL league. Cut the kid some slack. He has kicked 15 goals this year in a losing team. For comparison old mate Stengle has kicked 20 for the reigning premiers. Tariek averages 12 disposals a game and three tackles. You've put a line through him. Harsh in the extreme.
I agree with him, if I'm honest.

Happy to give Tariek one more year, but list spots are VERY tight. One of our other NGAs could take that spot.

If Roberts does slide to 7 and he was always our target, I can see us trading pick 3 + Melbourne's 2nd rounder for pick 7 and a mid first rounder (before Port Power's 1st rounder) to get Roberts and Draper.
How will we know he's slid?

We would have already used our pick.

Matt Crouch slows down our ball movement, things move like treacle through him in a way it doesn’t with Keays, Sloane, Laird etc
Look, I think that was true at periods - but by the end of last year Matt (and many others) started to get a clearer sense of what Nicks demanded for quick ball movement.

Pity we haven't been able to see whether that would have continued this year.

Look, I think that was true at periods - but by the end of last year Matt (and many others) started to get a clearer sense of what Nicks demanded for quick ball movement.

Pity we haven't been able to see whether that would have continued this year.
I dont think Matt adjusted to Nicks game plan last year, others did but Matt seems to either look sideways or he holds up the ball and kicks slow up the line

Milera is the player we have missed this year, add him and Pedlar in the midfield next year, plus hopefully a top 5 pick then its probably best for Matt and the club that he moves on

On SM-G973F using BigFooty.com mobile app

It is literally the most correct term. Post-loss, people are literally celebrating moving up the draft ladder.
Your tripping or the club is truly f**ked if you think people on big footy carrying on about getting better draft picks on a forum is going to result in a cultural issue.
The cultural issue has happened under Chapman, Burton, Fagan, etc.
The club is coming out or hopefully is under a slightly new regime and ideally higher draft picks may quicken the process.
5 wins or 10 wins can have a significant effect and not necessarily the way you think.
Top end talent is required and while high picks guarantee nothing it does allow one to create their own destiny to a point instead of taking slops

If Sloane's still playing midfield at 2021 levels in 2022 then our selectors and more specifically Nicks needs to tap him on the shoulder and play him forward or back whichever he does best or even drop him back to reserves if not performing.. Nobody doubts he's bled for the club and he's been a great team man but every player's time has an end date especially in the engine room.
You have hit on my concerns with Nicks where he continues to play Keays, Sloane and Laird in the midfield and not one of them have the ability to break free and deliver the ball into space to a lead and until we can do that we will struggle .
By getting midfield games into Schoenberg and Pedlar in particular along with high draft pick mid is only way our forwards are constantly going to kick winnable scores. And of course Sloane would be a major asset as a permanent forward with his defensive pressure and able to actually kick goals. and even contest in marking contest unlike all other small forwards.
Keep reading Milera as a loss to our mid structure etc but lets be real apart from at time showing his amazing talent he really has done little so far especially as a mid and if ever gets fully fit for long period will he have same evasive skills.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I understand that Laird has a long term contract, nevertheless, why not explore what he is worth at the trade table if we want another top 10 pick.

I agree with him, if I'm honest.

Happy to give Tariek one more year, but list spots are VERY tight. One of our other NGAs could take that spot.
Isaiah Dudley might not be as "sexy" as Tariek speed wise but he's a better prospect than Newchurch IMO, much harder at the contest, indeed much harder in all aspects of the game and plenty of tricks of his own. Been playing really well in the midfield for the Bulldogs, obviously that won't be his role at AFL level but it's an indication of his hardness and desire for the contest.

Ive a great passion for watching juniors - in fact I have very little interest in AFL other than to see how some of them are getting on after being drafted.

I have great respect and admiration for all of them - every single one, for the incredible effort and sacrifice they all put in. I genuinely would be thrilled if he did make it, I just don’t think he will. Just my opinion - it’s not personal on him at all.

I have a sneaking suspicion we will pick up Isaiah Dudley and I think he has what it takes to be that X factor small forward for us.
:thumbsu:

I haven't written off Newchurch but totally agree Dudley if he's prepared to do the hard work and get AFL fit I think he can be a real player.

I just wish the Roosters would give O'Loughlin a block of games forward to see what he's got because I think he would struggle playing his kind of defence down back.

His point is that after Darcy, Horne and Daicos are picked, you're only at the second real pick and the talent from 2 to probably 7 is very even.

Being shitter this year doesn't help much, if we still draft the same player as we would have if we'd won more games.

Celebrating losing can quickly be a cultural issue.
I hardly think anyone is "Celebrating losing". We all watch the games wanting to win, but we are also realistic as to where we are at and just looking for the silver lining. Calling it a cultural issue is a massive bow to draw. In a rebuild you've got to take the little wins, whether that is the development of a kid or the promise of a draft pick. It's to get us through the now, looking forward to the success we all crave. It's a long dark tunnel and if you don't focus on the light at the end you'll keep walking into walls.

:thumbsu:

I haven't written off Newchurch but totally agree Dudley if he's prepared to do the hard work and get AFL fit I think he can be a real player.

I just wish the Roosters would give O'Loughlin a block of games forward to see what he's got because I think he would struggle playing his kind of defence down back.
I feel that North didn’t do Newchurch any favours either - just allowing him to float around half forward when he could have been capable of more and which would have assisted his development.

I fear they are doing the same with Blayne. Should have had a run in the midfield by now to improve the contested side of his game. Centrals have done well with Isaiah - letting him stay in midfield to grow as a player. He will now be far better placed to make a go of small forward at the higher level I think.

How would we know he slides to 7 before we trade pick 3?

On Pixel 5 using BigFooty.com mobile app
Agreed, I'd be hesitant in trading down. We need to take whoever we rate the highest when our pick comes around.

I also think with the likely pick 3 or 4 that we are going to have, we need to go best available mid no matter where they are from. Not worry about go home factor etc. Our culture is much better than it was 3 years ago when we were losing player after player. We seem to have a tight bunch of kids coming through together who are building a good culture. So if we rate a Vic kid the highest, then we should take him.

Agreed, I'd be hesitant in trading down. We need to take whoever we rate the highest when our pick comes around.

I also think with the likely pick 3 or 4 that we are going to have, we need to go best available mid no matter where they are from. Not worry about go home factor etc. Our culture is much better than it was 3 years ago when we were losing player after player. We seem to have a tight bunch of kids coming through together who are building a good culture. So if we rate a Vic kid the highest, then we should take him.
Trading down secured us Fischer McAsey who has to now been underwhelming but also landed us Luke Pedlar for the following year, if it means that kind of outcome hmmmm?

Don't hear Cooper's name mentioned too often on here but he's right up there with top SA boys.....Could be the small forward/mid we need with his wheels and super talent. Speaks as well as any draftee I've ever heard.

Clarkson said the issue keeping older guys on the list is you tend to play them, don't we know

Yup, the devil you know compared to one you don't.

Ironically Clarko ended up falling into that trap as well near the end.

Are you saying keep Matt and move Laird on?
If we're serious about developing our younger midfielders, then there's probably only room for 1 of Laird/Crouch in the team. Crouch is out of contract this year, and is a likely RFA target. Laird is contracted until 2026. It's fairly obvious which one is the more likely to be departing...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back