eDPS

Premium Platinum
Nov 4, 2010
Melbourne - Eastern Suburbs
AFL Club
Essendon
4D2D6325-E99E-44E7-ACB4-CFC83CCE8E19.jpeg
388211D8-179A-4A9F-A7DB-D8CF12493BA0.jpeg
Hello all and welcome back to another exciting year for potential AFL draftees, this thread will be dedicated to all things draft in 2021 and beyond. Be on the lookout for player notes, rankings and a rolling mock draft which have become a staple and as always I’m happy to answer any draft questions you may have.

Last edited:

Those that know more than I, would North consider trading pick 1 in exchange for pick 3 (as it stands) and about pick 10 from the giants.

Given we'll also get Fahey, wondering if we would be looking to trade up.

2 high picks for North might accelerate their rebuild. If they really want Horne, that might see them not interested.

Those that know more than I, would North consider trading pick 1 in exchange for pick 3 (as it stands) and about pick 10 from the giants.

Given we'll also get Fahey, wondering if we would be looking to trade up.

2 high picks for North might accelerate their rebuild. If they really want Horne, that might see them not interested.
lions trade.PNG
Considering this is what it took for a one pick upgrade in a draft where 1,2 and 3 were seen as equally promising/ skilled players, I'd say probably not for this year

View attachment 1173029
Considering this is what it took for a one pick upgrade in a draft where 1,2 and 3 were seen as equally promising/ skilled players, I'd say probably not for this year
From memory we also needed points for our academy kids and pick 16 was going to get chewed up on Perryman and Cumming. (I thiink they were the academy kids that year, but could have been Kennedy and Himmelberg)

View attachment 1173029
There was a lot more to that trade. You had a couple of academy kids that were rated mid first round, and got back a few later picks from us for the points.

There was a lot more to that trade. You had a couple of academy kids that were rated mid first round, and got back a few later picks from us for the points.
That is my memory as well.

That is my memory as well.
And we've now got Fahey who's inline for a top 15 bid so would be lookin for some points, I don't think North would give up anything additional to pick 1, nor should they

And we've now got Fahey who's inline for a top 15 bid so would be lookin for some points, I don't think North would give up anything additional to pick 1, nor should they
We’ve got excess late picks in this draft, and need points for next year’s draft.

However, if I were GWS, I would keep hold of both picks.

Completely different motivation this time round. The Brisbane trade was all about 16 not being wasted, so we traded it for an upgrade and heap of points.
Our motivation this time isn't the points, it is to upgrade.
We only have 1 player who will go late teens, we can pay for that with 2nd and 3rd round picks and/or have a small deficit next year.
The question will be whether North want Horne or 2 players not quite as good.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Completely different motivation this time round. The Brisbane trade was all about 16 not being wasted, so we traded it for an upgrade and heap of points.
Our motivation this time isn't the points, it is to upgrade.
We only have 1 player who will go late teens, we can pay for that with 2nd and 3rd round picks and/or have a small deficit next year.
The question will be whether North want Horne or 2 players not quite as good.
Its crazy to trade those two picks for just pick 1 when we need later picks to match the Fahey bid, we shouldn't do such a big trade without some decent points picks, the defecit is bordering on negligent to take on if we're going to trade our two firsts

Its crazy to trade those two picks for just pick 1 when we need later picks to match the Fahey bid, we shouldn't do such a big trade without some decent points picks, the defecit is bordering on negligent to take on if we're going to trade our two firsts
It is exactly the same point we hope to be without making the trade.
We are definitely hoping Fahey is selected after our second pick. This is exactly the same deficit if we trade our 2 picks for pick 1.

It is exactly the same point we hope to be without making the trade.
We are definitely hoping Fahey is selected after our second pick. This is exactly the same deficit if we trade our 2 picks for pick 1.
Yes, I'd much prefer to trade our second pick (if we male finals) for two 20's picks, I assume Hawthorn would be up for something like that

Yes, I'd much prefer to trade our second pick (if we male finals) for two 20's picks, I assume Hawthorn would be up for something like that
That is crazy!
If you do nothing you end up with early pick, pick 10ish and Fahey. Our remaining picks cover Fahey and we can take a late pick after points expire if need be.
If we downgrade we get an early pick, Fahey who than sucks up the pick in the 20's and downgrades our own second rounder and we get 2 picks in the late 20's (1 of which we may not use if we don't need 4 players) instead of pick 10 and a late one (which we may not use)

That is crazy!
If you do nothing you end up with early pick, pick 10ish and Fahey. Our remaining picks cover Fahey and we can take a late pick after points expire if need be.
If we downgrade we get an early pick, Fahey who than sucks up the pick in the 20's and downgrades our own second rounder and we get 2 picks in the late 20's (1 of which we may not use if we don't need 4 players) instead of pick 10 and a late one (which we may not use)
It's not worth going into deficit regardless, how we obtain the points doesn't bother me, I'd rather have an unaffected draft hand next year, especially if we have a similar season next year. We also don't have a second rounder, hence my initial concern about the points

Fridays game wasn’t the best spectacle and there wasn’t any players to really come from the clouds to enhance their stocks especially in Country’s case who I will go over first

Ben Hobbs, Connor MacDonald and Mitch Knevitt where the clear best midfielders for Country. Hobbs still has some issues with his kicking but he is just a real bull, a workhorse and a smart player. MacDonald and Knevitt both sit in that 20-40 range at the moment and although he can have some off moments Knevitt is a very interesting prospect at 193cm not bad overhead and athletic and may rise up draft boards of his form can continue upwards.

I thought the backline worked hard for Country with the likes of Molan and Brown doing some great things from half back. Molan’s workrate will get him drafted. Talls Gibcus, Morrison and Andrew had some good moments across the game and still waiting for Andrew to really stamp himself on a game and for Gibcus to tidy up his kicking a little.

Chesser had a poor game but he has missed a bit of footy due to injury so it’s not panic stations yet, his early season form was very good. Rachele was easily taken care of in the first half against Wilmot and only started to get the ball once he was added to the midfield to get him into the game, defensive running and workrate to burn of a tight opponent is something I want to see more of he is of course highly talented but at AFL level you need to get the other side right aswell especially as a forward/midfielder.

The big 3 midfielders for Metro in Daicos, Goater and Ward all played like top 10 talents and all 3 showed great chemistry with Daicos the classy outside type, Goater the burst/size/athleticism and Ward with his two way running/stoppage work/skills. Goater has some problems without the ball and his kicking wasn’t to his usual standard but he showed real star power out there. Ward is really starting to push into top 10 calculations as a consistent midfielder with a good balance of contested and outside work and his mix of good skills and now an ability to finish at goal make him a very strong prospect.

The metro backline was superb and had a great mix. Wilmot was as brave as ever and shut down Rachele while also showing of his own elite traits, turning into a personal favourite of mine. The other Knights boys Akuei and De Bolfo played their best games for the year imo, Akuei was fantastic in shutting down key forwards with his athleticism but also taking some nice intercept marks and looked steady with ball in hand. De Bolfo took plenty of intercept marks and just read the play so well, both 19 year olds more than justified their spot in the side.

Darcy only kicked the 2 goals but looked dangerous whenever he went for his marks and almost took some marks he had no right in taking, unlike a lot of 204cm 18 year olds he is highly skilled and smart and rarely looks lost or flustered. Small forwards Curtis and Dib both played equally good games and although Curtis was the one to hit the scoreboard Dib was really creative and damaging just making things happen.

Hoping to see how Metro go later in the year hopefully injury free with Callaghan/Sonsie to be added to the midfield and a fully fit Sinn able to run and take the game on from half back. Country need to identify more depth through the midfield and skill going inside 50.

I also did further notes on Metro players

Last edited:
The other Knights boys Akuei and De Bolfo played their best games for the year imo, Akuei was fantastic in shutting down key forwards with his athleticism but also taking some nice intercept marks and looked steady with ball in hand.
Hi eDPS, thanks for the write up! Do you see Akuei attracting a bid in the ND at this stage or could he slide to a Category B rookie spot?

Similarly Charlie McKay seems to be stuffing the stat sheet for Sandringham, I'm hoping Carlton's 4th round pick (should be around #60-#65) is enough match a bid from pick ~#45 onwards

Hi eDPS, thanks for the write up! Do you see Akuei attracting a bid in the ND at this stage or could he slide to a Category B rookie spot?

Similarly Charlie McKay seems to be stuffing the stat sheet for Sandringham, I'm hoping Carlton's 4th round pick (should be around #60-#65) is enough match a bid from pick ~#45 onwards
Difficult as clubs didn’t want to take them in the mid-season when they could of so that suggests it’s likely they will be bid 30+ if anything with Akuei the most likely. I’d be surprised if he isn’t atleast rookie listed at the current form he has had

Difficult as clubs didn’t want to take them in the mid-season when they could of so that suggests it’s likely they will be bid 30+ if anything with Akuei the most likely. I’d be surprised if he isn’t atleast rookie listed at the current form he has had
Would Carlton have held off in the mid-season as he is attached to them through the NGA? He has plenty of work to do on his disposal imo, he has a lead that is out of this world.

Would Carlton have held off in the mid-season as he is attached to them through the NGA? He has plenty of work to do on his disposal imo, he has a lead that is out of this world.
Can’t recall him missing a target on Friday not badly at least, not as much Carlton but other clubs if they really liked him would have just taken him so would be a surprise if a club took him in the top 30 or 40 at the end of the year

Can’t recall him missing a target on Friday not badly at least, not as much Carlton but other clubs if they really liked him would have just taken him so would be a surprise if a club took him in the top 30 or 40 at the end of the year
Yep, agree will be a late pick if he goes

Remove this Banner Ad

Back