Strategy Draft assistance 2023 [Twomey: NMFC get #19 in 2023, x2 end of 1st rd picks in 2024, and x2 extra rookie list spots in 2024; no Sanders/#11]

Remove this Banner Ad

I really hate the hidden compensation formula and this hidden rule. such bullshit. make it public.
If they make it public teams will totally try to manipulate it.
+ its a comparison with other players in the league.
Which changes every day.
I can understand why they have to wait for an application.

"Due to free agency, the draft and equalisation in general, the AFL have decided priority picks will be a policy no longer utilised"

"Whilst we acknowledge team performance will always ebb and flow, we realise the above tools can quickly turn around a franchise without compromising the integrity of the competition"

"Whilst Ben Armafio and Ben Buckley did put forth a dynamic presentation pointing to a legitimate case for a priority pick, we at AFL house remembered their clubs non relocation - something we desperately needed and still want, so replied with the same acronym they used at the time-"

"GAGF"

Gillon McLaughlin

On SM-G991B using BigFooty.com mobile app

What if they give 2 state players can we get horn with one of them and then trade pick one 👍

What if they give 2 state players can we get horn with one of them and then trade pick one 👍

Not how it works. I believe it would be two state-league players that don't get picked up in the draft? Happy to be corrected by someone more knowledgable, but think that's far too big of a loophole for the AFL to allow.

Pick 1 stays with us no matter what. Horne-Francis runs out in blue and white in Round 1, 2022.

If they make it public teams will totally try to manipulate it.
+ its a comparison with other players in the league.
Which changes every day.
I can understand why they have to wait for an application.

Fair point. I find the afl determining the outcome behind closed doors just as much, if not more, problematic. It should be an independent panel that's arm's length from the afl that decides at least.

Wouldn't it be nice to send North to Tassie... You know what, let's hold off on that draft assistance for a bit.

Would be interesting if they did give us access to a State league player.

I wonder if Leek Alleer qualifies.... He hasn’t been selected for SA’s u/19’s, so I would assume so.
Look at his hops, his a huge unit and reads the ball magnificently well. I cant see how we don’t pick him.

Look at his hops, his a huge unit and reads the ball magnificently well. I cant see how we don’t pick him.

I know a highlight reel is going to show him at his best, but his timing of his leaps for some of those marks is pretty exciting! Seems to move very well for a big bloke too!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Isn't Tarrant going to Richmond? I know he isn't a spring chicken but there's room for the AFL to throw you a shinbone on this one with a third or second round pick.
Tarrant yes but we still have atley and dumont available who you'd think could give a better pick given age etc.

The AFL not having clear criteria will allow them to help North by bumping up free agent compensation.

We need someone who has moved as a free agent first (and is likely to be traded in Tarrant)

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

We need someone who has moved as a free agent first (and is likely to be traded in Tarrant)

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Remember when Ablett wanted to get to Geelong but Gold Coast wanted a pick Geelong didn't have so Motlop as a free agent compensation just happend to be the right fit. You could do that with Tarrant, they only want to trade to keep their compensation pick but if the AFL says that they will help North by giving a second round pick and you guys trade your third and Tarrant for it from Richmond then it's win win.

The Suns keep their pick.

SUNS GIVEN DRAFT BONUS
GOLD Coast will be armed with one of the strongest draft hands ahead of the Trade Period after the AFL decided to allow the Suns to keep pick No.19.

The League last year banned the Suns from trading the 2021 end-of-first-round selection in any future pick swap as it assessed the club's direction.

The pick was originally handed to the club at the end of 2019 as part of the AFL's concession package to help the struggling Suns, which included the No.1 pick to grab Matt Rowell that season, with the AFL able to review the allowances every year.

But the AFL has decided the Suns will hold the selection this year without any caveats or restrictions, meaning the club can either use it as part of any trade or take it to November's draft.

They will hold three selections inside the first 22 picks – No.3, 19 and 22 – with the Suns interested in either splitting their first pick for multiple early selections or even pushing up the board, having enquired about North Melbourne's pick No.1.

The confirmation of pick 19 came after the Suns finished 16th this season in another difficult campaign which saw them win seven games.

The extra pick gives Gold Coast options at the trade table and will be a carrot for other clubs who are wanting to increase their draft hand.

The club will also again be able to pre-list Academy selections without having to match any rival bids, with Austin Harris and Ned Stevens among the potential Suns. – Callum Twomey

Remove this Banner Ad

Back