List Mgmt. 2021 Draft picks: 4/33/75

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
do tell!!
I won’t say who, but it’s obviously one of the SA kids discussed a bit. I just assumed it was common practice that clubs do this throughout the year with most of the top kids. Which is why it seems strange that North haven’t made contact with JHF. Maybe they just aren’t as professional or well-resourced as the bigger Vic clubs.

Mutineer I'm confused on Hobbs ....you say he's 186cm , but all the profiles have him as 183cm

Also are these measurements beginning of 2021 ? ....assume there'll be an update at the upcoming state combines ??
Can you point me to where I said he was 186cm

And I just don't get this board's fascination with "big" midfielders either, Hobbs is not a short arse, he'd be right in the mean average for AFL midfielders I would think and already better built than most of them. I just want top notch midfielders and he projects as being just that, and I certainly won't be disappointed if he was the player Hamish selected.

Last edited:

Can you point me to where I said he was 186cm
IIRC you stated Hobbs was the same height as JHF .....but also took issue with me when I posted that Hobbs wasn't that tall

So without looking too far ...

That's 1.85cm Hawk Changkuoth Jiath to Ben's right, and that's a moon boot not high heels on Ben's foot.

1632964274551.png

IIRC you stated Hobbs was the same height as JHF .....but also took issue with me when I posted that Hobbs wasn't that tall

So without looking too far ...
So you agree I never said it then, give it a rest Wayno, there he is standing alongside Jaith, certainly doesn't look to be a short arse given Jaith is 185cm. FMD 2cm is less than an inch and like I said he's the same height as JHF at pre-season measuring....not once have I heard anyone say JHF is too small to be a top notch AFL mid.

Still seems strange. You’d at least touch base earlier in the year, even if you can’t visit the home. Mind you, I know another SA draft prospect has been visited multiple times at his home by Hawthorn during the year.

It's probably just game playing from North.

This is really strange from North. In Jon Ralph’s article today about Horne-Francis
FFS. Can’t we train these kids up? He should have said, “I know I have to go wherever I’m drafted, but I have really strong family ties and it’s going to be difficult leaving them”.

FFS. Can’t we train these kids up? He should have said, “I know I have to go wherever I’m drafted, but I have really strong family ties and it’s going to be difficult leaving them”.
Yeah, much like Ward. ‘It would be a dream come true to get the the Hawks…’ or words to that effect. Unfortunately for us, JHF is probably genuinely happy to go to Victoria.

Thoughts on Ward?
Another that wouldn't be top of my list but someone you would not be disappointed in if Hamish selected him.

I watched a lot of the Northern Knights footy this year and Ward is certainly a real goer though I must say I thought up until Ned Long got injured he was the better Knights prospect with his extra height and size along with his ability to hit the scoreboard in bunches. One thing I will say for both Ward and Long along with Ben Hobbs all three are 2 way runners.

Ned Long shapes as a steal IMO because it seems out of sight is out of mind with draft watchers but I doubt the AFL recruiters have forgotten his early season form.

Mutineer you've obviously seen a bit of Hobbs, I've got two questions related to him:

How would he compare to other players (Ward, Erasmus etc.) around the mark for us by foot?

Does he have a bit of pace or at least a quick first few steps?

To have a midfielder who can have a burst from a contest and hit up a target consistently would be a nice change from the slow, accumulators who can butcher the footy were used to seeing in the last few years.

Mutineer you've obviously seen a bit of Hobbs, I've got two questions related to him:

How would he compare to other players (Ward, Erasmus etc.) around the mark for us by foot?

Does he have a bit of pace or at least a quick first few steps?

To have a midfielder who can have a burst from a contest and hit up a target consistently would be a nice change from the slow, accumulators who can butcher the footy were used to seeing in the last few years.
If you want breakaway pace Finn Callaghan and Josh Goater should be top of your list.
The Roosters SA boy James Willis is another with breakaway pace, not too many in this draft with that specific attribute.
Josh Sinn is another with good breakaway speed but has only had a minimum of exposure to the midfield.
Campbell Chesser another with breakaway speed but again only minimal exposure to the midfield.

I wouldn't class any of Ward, Hobbs, Erasmus, Goater as elite field kicks but they're certainly not ball burners.
Edit: Don't think JH-F's foot skills are anything to write home to mum about either, tends to over kick a lot of his shorter kicking, but again certainly not a ball burner more generally.

I think the mid with close to the best foot skills in this draft is Josh Goater's teammate Zac Taylor but we can't have him he's only 180cm.... ;)

Last edited:
Now don't bite my head off, just spit-balling here...

Just noticed that John Noble is OOC, and yes i know we're absolutely flush for players in that position, but i have always really liked his pressure on the ball/around the contest.

Ranks as above average or elite in most categories.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just noticed that John Noble is OOC, and yes i know we're absolutely flush for players in that position, but i have always really liked his pressure on the ball/around the contest.

Don't think we'd be that interested when we have Chayce Jones down back

Don't think we'd be that interested when we have Chayce Jones down back
Listening to Justin Reid yesterday it looks likely we're going to the draft unless a player became available we just couldn't say no to and then they'd likely have to be in the right age bracket.

Still seems strange. You’d at least touch base earlier in the year, even if you can’t visit the home. Mind you, I know another SA draft prospect has been visited multiple times at his home by Hawthorn during the year.
Hmm, hawks have picks 5 and 21, 24 as their first few, not many south aussies touted for 5, but plenty could go at 21 and 24.

If you want breakaway pace Finn Callaghan and Josh Goater should be top of your list.
The Roosters SA boy James Willis is another with breakaway pace, not too many in this draft with that specific attribute.
Josh Sinn is another with good breakaway speed but has only had a minimum of exposure to the midfield.
Campbell Chesser another with breakaway speed but again only minimal exposure to the midfield.

I wouldn't class any of Ward, Hobbs, Erasmus, Goater as elite field kicks but they're certainly not ball burners.
Edit: Don't think JH-F's foot skills are anything to write home to mum about either, tends to over kick a lot of his shorter kicking, but again certainly not a ball burner more generally.

I think the mid with close to the best foot skills in this draft is Josh Goater's teammate Zac Taylor but we can't have him he's only 180cm.... ;)

Given your clear knowledge and keen eye for the draft, what would your picks 1-10 look like as things stand?

Of course if you've already done this recently, please point me to the post.

Parnell is a better kicking Noble.

I heard power and speed forward of the ball in terms of draft needs. To me that means a powerful mid and speedy forwards (i.e. small forwards with pressure).

This makes sense but I hope they're factoring in foot skills as well.

Given your clear knowledge and keen eye for the draft, what would your picks 1-10 look like as things stand?

Of course if you've already done this recently, please point me to the post.
Just off the top of my head...Darcy and Daicos not included
If I'm picking for us it has to be a focus on mids or players that look likely to transition into the midfield.

1. Jason Horne Francis
2. Josh Goater
3. Neil Erasmus
4. Ben Hobbs
5 Finn Callaghan
6. Josh Sinn
7. Josh Ward
8. Ned Long
9. Arlo Draper
10. Campbell Chesser

Players I fancy with later picks
Kai Lohmann - X factor medium forward with traits I think can transition into the midfield. (Very bullish about this lad)
Mitch Knevitt - Tall midfielder
Zac Taylor - Highly skilled midfielder
Sam Butler - Quick Impactful Mid/forward (edited to include)
James Willis - Explosive mid/forward
Blake Howes - Athletic 3rd tall forward/wingman
Cooper Murley - Speedy smaller mid/forward
Brady Hough - Mid/Forward
Judson Clarke - Clever small forward
Jamieson Ballantyne - Classy moving Wingman with great skills
Charlie Molan - High footy I'Q. medium defender/mid
Paul Curtis - Small forward.

Rookie favourites
Jordan Lukac - Athletic KPF
Isaac Birt - Speedy high endurance wingman with a penetrating kick.

Last edited:
This is really strange from North. In Jon Ralph’s article today about Horne-Francis
tenor-com-arte-johnson-very-interesting-gif.1152760

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back