Player Watch Welcome to Richmond Pick 29 - Sam Banks

Remove this Banner Ad

Is 4 years the magic number ? I dont expect anything from a pick 29 tbh the odds arent great
If into the 4th year non KPP players aren't either the best players in the VFL or into the AFL 22 then I'd say that's a concern.

Banks hasn't had any major career setbacks so it's a reasonable timeframe.

If he's a middling VFL player all through next year what are we doing with him?

McIntosh was pick 31 when we drafted him in 2012, Going by that train of thought he should have been shipped off after 2016.

I'm not sure why all our picks have to be superstars. McIntosh's skill level isn't as good as Banks and Kamdyn was an important piece in 2 of our 3 flags.
MacIntosh was/is quick, big and reasonable tough and an endurance beast, Banks is none of those, but he does have a good boot, which obviously Mac doesn't. Mac has some good assets, Banks looks a bit one paced, I hope I'm wrong.

MacIntosh was/is quick, big and reasonable tough and an endurance beast, Banks is none of those, but he does have a good boot, which obviously Mac doesn't. Mac has some good assets, Banks looks a bit one paced, I hope I'm wrong.
What rubbish LOL He was none of those things in 2016.

What rubbish LOL He was none of those things in 2016.
What, never big, fast, aggressive and a good runner? He was BOG in his first game and torched Judd more than once.

I'm not a MacIntosh fan per say, but he did have his strengths and he has held our wing a long time for better or for worse.

What, never big, fast, aggressive and a good runner? He was BOG in his first game and torched Judd more than once.

I'm not a MacIntosh fan per say, but he did have his strengths and he has held our wing a long time for better or for worse.
You miss my point, McIntosh was drafted in 2012, in 2016 he was still not part of our senior side, injury may have impacted that, but it wasn't until 2017 that we got to see him frequently. Sam Banks was drafted in 2021 he is still a year away from a 2016 version of Kamdyn (age wise as both are different wingers), talk of never going to make it is extremely premature.

You miss my point, McIntosh was drafted in 2012, in 2016 he was still not part of our senior side, injury may have impacted that, but it wasn't until 2017 that we got to see him frequently. Sam Banks was drafted in 2021 he is still a year away from a 2016 version of Kamdyn (age wise as both are different wingers), talk of never going to make it is extremely premature.
MacIntosh played 23 games in his first year 2015 (20 nearly 21 years old). Crap second year, form not injuries from memory, then 24 in the next.

Never said Banks wasn't going to make it, just questioning about his pace, which you need to play wing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If into the 4th year non KPP players aren't either the best players in the VFL or into the AFL 22 then I'd say that's a concern.

Banks hasn't had any major career setbacks so it's a reasonable timeframe.

If he's a middling VFL player all through next year what are we doing with him?
How was Darcy Parish going in his 4th year

MacIntosh played 23 games in his first year 2015 (20 nearly 21 years old). Crap second year, form not injuries from memory, then 24 in the next.

Never said Banks wasn't going to make it, just questioning about his pace, which you need to play wing.
We were playing a lot of inexperienced kids back in 2012 to give them experience. Dimma basically stopped that as soon as we got success. Even when we started the slide down after 2020, he picked teams very conservatively. Players like Banks, Sonsie Brown and Clarke got varying but on the whole, little exposure to AFL football. These top picks have suffered from lack of exposure. Yze is still feeling his way around the club. I feel he’ll play guys more often once he realises who is past it and who is not.

How was Darcy Parish going in his 4th year
So if response to if he's a middle tier VFL player next year, how long would you give him and when should we be concerned? What about every other player? Banks needs to show something worth persisting with, he hasn't really yet, hence if we're having this discussion next year it's probably a worry.

Sam Banks is going to be an excellent player for this club. He’s played 31 VFL games, with a sprinkling of injuries. He’s a HBF, wingman, so he’s had to wait behind a plethora of senior staples in the team.

His first 26 VFL games he averaged 16.4 touches. His last 5 games he averaged 21.4.

Even in his 6 senior games of 2023, he only got below 13 touches once (10). He averaged 13.7 .. that’s pretty impressive for a newcomer in a struggling team.

He’s heading in the right direction and will be a big part of our future.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Sam Banks is going to be an excellent player for this club. He’s played 31 VFL games, with a sprinkling of injuries. He’s a HBF, wingman, so he’s had to wait behind a plethora of senior staples in the team.

His first 26 VFL games he averaged 16.4 touches. His last 5 games he averaged 21.4.

Even in his 6 senior games of 2023, he only got below 13 touches once (10). He averaged 13.7 .. that’s pretty impressive for a newcomer in a struggling team.

He’s heading in the right direction and will be a big part of our future.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I honestly can't say much on him. whenever i've watched him, mostly in the seniors - but a couple of times in the reserves, he has not really stood out in any great measure. He could end up being great. Meaning he hasn't stood out can mean 2 things - he doesn't impact, but he also doesn't hurt you with howlers, weak efforts etc.

He is 21 very soon. So if u compare that to 2021-22 Riley Collier Dawkins+Patrick Naish - who were born 1999-2000 - roughly the same age - he doesn't really match up overly favourably in terms of being able to impact games, getting a lot of it and getting BOG's at VFL level, Banks is a fair bit behind at this stage.

RCD debuted in 2021 and this was his 9 games at AFL, often being in the bottom 15% of TOG. He was getting more touches, clearances & a impressive amount of tackles. The performance against the Giants i thought he legit swung and won the game with some key moments. After this year, his DEBUT AFL season, they have him exactly 2 senior games in 2022 before cutting him.

DescriptionDateOpponentResultKHBDMGBTHOGAI50CLCGR50FFFABL
Round 23​
Aug 21​
10​
9​
19​
3​
0​
0​
1​
0​
0​
3​
5​
2​
2​
0​
1​
Round 17​
Jul 11​
5​
9​
14​
1​
1​
0​
5​
0​
0​
2​
4​
1​
0​
0​
1​
Round 16​
Jul 1​
Suns
3​
5​
8​
2​
0​
0​
3​
0​
0​
1​
4​
4​
1​
0​
3​
Round 12​
Jun 5​
3​
6​
9​
1​
0​
0​
1​
0​
0​
2​
2​
0​
0​
1​
0​
Round 11​
May 30​
10​
8​
18​
4​
0​
0​
1​
0​
0​
2​
4​
3​
0​
1​
0​
Round 10​
May 21​
5​
13​
18​
4​
0​
0​
3​
0​
0​
3​
1​
3​
0​
0​
2​
Round 9​
May 15​
12​
6​
18​
1​
2​
0​
7​
0​
1​
4​
4​
6​
0​
1​
2​
Round 8​
May 7​
Cats
6​
8​
14​
2​
0​
0​
6​
0​
0​
3​
1​
4​
0​
0​
0​
Round 7​
Apr 30​
4​
10​
14​
3​
0​
0​
5​
0​
0​
1​
5​
2​
0​
2​
0​

Naish debuted with 2 games in 2019, on the HBF

Round 13​
Jun 13​
10​
9​
19​
4​
0​
0​
2​
0​
0​
3​
1​
0​
5​
0​
0​
Round 12​
Jun 7​
Cats
15​
5​
20​
5​
1​
0​
2​
0​
0​
5​
0​
4​
1​
1​
2​
Got only 1 game in 2020 where he was forgettable with 9 touches, while also missing an entire year of VFL basically due to COVID

And then was given 4 games in 2021 (+2very late subs) before being cut
Round 17​
Jul 11​
6​
4​
10​
2​
0​
0​
2​
0​
0​
2​
1​
1​
1​
1​
0​
Round 16​
Jul 1​
Suns
10​
2​
12​
1​
1​
0​
3​
0​
0​
4​
0​
3​
4​
1​
0​
Round 10​
May 21​
2​
8​
10​
1​
1​
0​
2​
0​
1​
0​
1​
1​
0​
0​
0​
Round 9​
May 15​
7​
8​
15​
5​
0​
0​
2​
0​
1​
3​
1​
3​
0​
1​
1​

Around these AFL games, both these guys were dominating VFL level for long periods of time. I recall watching several VFL games over that period and they both looked miles above the rest & were controlling the games.

Neither of them made it. Here or anywhere for that matter. So comparing Banks to them at this stage makes me question your confidence in them him as i;m not sure he has impacted more than RCD did at both AFL & VFL level at this point. And before you point to injuries to Banks, don't forget both these guys had their careers pretty much rooted due to COVID.

Banks is being asked to play possibly the easiest position on the ground in regards to being made to look good - Half Back Flank & sometimes, wing. The position we really need him to own though, is half back flank.

Banks needs to impact games and take ownership of what is, one of the easiest positions on the field to play. Getting 13 touches over 6 games as a HBF when your defensive side is not that impressive is not being AFL level basically. Its almost exactly the middling results Naish was getting, be it without the 1 poorly timed "squib" moment where he would be caught shitting his pants.

If Banks could stand up and take ownership of the HBF, everything opens up for us IMO. Essentially we could start playing back-to-middle as below

B: Grimes/Broad Young Baker
HB: Banks Balta / Miller Vlaustin
W.Rioli Taranto Short
HFF: MRJ Martin Bolton
F: Cumberland Lynch Cambell / Kosi / Balta
C: Nank Prestia Hopper
Bench: Dow Pickett Ross

You then move Pickett to the bench or as a "super-sub", where he could be incredibly damaging, especially if you put him 100% fresh in the middle of the ground. Then we drop KMAC, which is what needs to happen, irrelevant of his form. He is 30 & he still has supporters calling for him to be dropped. He should not be a walk-up start at this point. I've put Cumberland in that team as no matter how many times i look at our roster, it still looks to me our best chance to be good is him figure his s**t out and "fit in" to our team and standards. We play him till we cut him.

Another idea which would be f-ing mental, but i'd be interested to see it once is to go in identical to this but as below

B: Grimes/Broad Young Baker
HB: Banks Balta / Miller Vlaustin
WRioli Taranto Short
HFF: MRJ Martin Bolton
F: McIntosh Lynch Pickett
C: Nank Prestia Hopper
Bench: Dow Pickett Ross

With Picketts strong marking hands, strong leap & high IQ of reading the play +work-rate, i would throw him forward. From what i can see, he can compete in the air either by marking or knocking it to ground & not a complete zero at roving as he can read the play. KMAC on the other hand is sneaky tall & plays sneaky talle. He has a similar ability to compete for the ball when its in the air .Both also "hunt" opponents when chasing. The idea would be that when it came in after clearances the 3 F's could always compete to knock the ball to ground, hitting the ball back towards the centre to allow surging MRJ Martin Bolton Riol, Short to clean up. In games where our midfield is not holding up, we could effectively start them in the pocket & direct them to immediately run forward to basically re-fill the traditional wing positions and allow both Dan & Short to be loose players across the middle as well.
We then would have Lynch basically 1 out, with Bolton, Dusty & MRJ rotating playing next to him.
Kmac & Picketts elite workrate and endurance would allow them to basically cover from the pocket to the defensive 70m line all day, but still can give you aerial impact if the ball comes in fast etc.

Bit of a random one, but i reckon this is the year to piss-fart around with ideas and variations. As we saw in 2017, change can be just 1 fresh idea away and a 100% commitment to it by a few good men

So yeah, if Banks would just play the easiest ******* role on the ground at a level that didn't "meh", the entire structure would open up fast. I'm not celebrating or giving pats on the back to HBF's that get 13 touches. He just has to be doing more & plenty at his age, have in that role.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back