Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashleigh Nelson

@ashnelson08
·
3m

@WestCoastEagles
training notes Tom Barrass is being managed - expected to train fully by Thursday.
Positive signs for Dom Sheed and Liam Ryan involved in today’s main session .
Bazzo and Flynn rehab running.

Western Bullodogs is not strong in their defence. Coupled with their latest injuries, WCE should apply high forward pressure if we want to win this game.
Also, Brockman should play nearer to the goal and not be doing midfield duty.
I'd like to see us going smaller and more mobile up forward, Waterman + Maric as the "talls" but they're both very mobile plus Brockman + Cripps + Long + Petch should be an active forwardline, not stagnant talls looking for long bombs.

They can move Barnett or BWill forward for short 5 min spell per qtr but no longer than that. They should spend a few more mins each on the bench to save their strength for the ruck duels.

I see a lot of people potting our forward and backs .

Forward are getting very limited supply and usually poor quality supply.

Our defenders are getting pumped with the ball coming in on the oppositions terms with little pressure on the ball carrier .

Its clearly our midfield that sucks at getting the ball to our forwards and helping out our defenders .

Our defenders are getting pumped with the ball coming in on the oppositions terms with little pressure on the ball carrier .

Its clearly our midfield that sucks at getting the ball to our forwards and helping out our defenders .

True to an extent but its also the forwards job to lock the ball in the forward half and not let it waltz out with ease.

Forwards are getting limited supply but on the weekend when the backs got the ball it was pumped out to no one. We shouldn't be doing that as we have no contested talls available who can 50/50 or manage to grab one to relieve pressure. They need to run it out with the midfielders getting back to help and hit up a leading forward.

Try and include

Burgiel, Hall, Hewett, Ryan, Culley and Sheed in the team right now. Test yourselves to see the madness for positions will be over the coming weeks.

This fwd structure is the thing that will change the most...

1 - Darling is in his last year. No arguements.
2 - Ok Allen comes back as 1st picked fwd. No arguements.

3 - Waterman tries hard, lacks talent, suited to 3rd tall fwd. Will not be long until he is 3 back in cue.

4 - Maric played last year.

5 - J Williams tallest option ready.

6 - Archer Reid by mid season maybe an option, long term CHF. 203 cm.

7 - Culley can play Waterman role, probably better.

8 - Ryan and Hewett will command fwd roles. Hewett rotating mid.

9 - Barnett long term Ruck, now being said he won't be dropped. This moves B Williams forward at least some of the time.

10 - Livingstone an option.

11 - You really think Jameson makes it as a KPD? When he is a ruckman and most likely won't make it there.

11 - You all better start thinking about this.

12 - The fwd structure in 2018 was best.
Kennedy, Darling and resting Ruck. Anything more and it is too tall and slow in today's game.

So what you’re basically saying is that Simpson has said that previously he has continually selected underperforming players, but that he’s not going to do that anymore…………..jeez thanks Simmo, you beauty!
Pretty much what I thought at the time, almost an admission to the supposed 'credits crew', this was in reference to Gaff and Darling during an interview. Admittedly they could barely field a team from week to week last year, so had to play anyone who could walk? This is now due to a healthier list and new depth - and arguably Pyke breathing down his neck...

Our midfield has sucked for over 10 years.

we just got it right in 2018 somehow.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Our midfield has sucked for over 10 years.

we just got it right in 2018 somehow.

Healthy Boots, Healthy Yeo, Healthy NN (Long enough to get us locked into a high finals berth at least - went out r17)

That's our 3 best contested midfielders right there and a dominant ruck. Plus we were feeding the ball to the club record goalkicker...

It all went horribly wrong but you can see why the club thought we were a good chance to snag another one.

Healthy Boots, Healthy Yeo, Healthy NN (Long enough to get us locked into a high finals berth at least - went out r17)

That's our 3 best contested midfielders right there and a dominant ruck. Plus we were feeding the ball to the club record goalkicker...

It all went horribly wrong but you can see why the club thought we were a good chance to snag another one.
Redden was immense in the 2nd half of 2018 . Career best form at the perfect time .

Gaff was also a massive reason we made top 2 before he violently executed a child ( this is how freo fans remember it ) .

Sheed was an up and comer with a point to prove .

Hutch was an elite runner and tagger

We had a pretty experienced midfield that year which ran deep .

Redden was immense in the 2nd half of 2018 . Career best form at the perfect time .

Gaff was also a massive reason we made top 2 before he violently executed a child ( this is how freo fans remember it ) .

Sheed was an up and comer with a point to prove .

Hutch was an elite runner and tagger

We had a pretty experienced midfield that year which ran deep .

It is super frustrating to fall off so bad given the Hawthorn 3-peat and Tigers 1+2 but it is worthwhile to remember such dominance is not the norm over the journey. 2 grannies and 1 flag is a pretty solid run at it for a core of guys looking at the longer term of the game.

Forget about what we had and what we have, lets start talking about the future. We have to blood as many of the young guys to give them a taste of the AFL. Any player that wont be there in 2 years must be playing WAFL. Unless a miracle happens we wont be looking at finals for at least 3 years.

Forget about what we had and what we have, lets start talking about the future. We have to blood as many of the young guys to give them a taste of the AFL. Any player that wont be there in 2 years must be playing WAFL. Unless a miracle happens we wont be looking at finals for at least 3 years.

This is a disaster waiting to happen. You can’t just throw the kids to the wolves. They need senior player and mature bodies around them.

Quickest way to destroy a rebuild is to go too young too soon.

How does this gimp defensive wing position even still exist anymore 🤦‍♂️

Really wish Simpson and the collective coaching group would move away from it already. I wouldn't go so far as to say it ruins a players career that role, but it certainly doesn't help it.

Brander, Marsden, Redden at times, Ledwards and recently Gaff all played some of their worst footy in that role.

Pretty sure I've heard him say it's AFL wide and all the other teams do it, but I've looked and I think he's having a bit of a lend. Our record isn't exactly that great recently, not sure if he's noticed, so maybe time to mix it up a bit.

Indeed, it's the tactical corpse that keeps coming back to life.

The current retread of the role may be more attacking-minded than previous, but it still remains very defensive.

Look no further than the pitiful numbers for metres gained coming from those players cast out to it.

Whilst at the same time it does near nothing to prevent opposing transition.

There is some truth to the point that almost all clubs are using wings to provide cover, but the players involved are either very quick or elite on disposal and are actively functioning as the conduit for counterattacking moves that get behind defensive zones. Certainly not the endurance plodders that fail to carry possession forward in the role at West Coast.

Geelong for what it is worth have almost done away with the fat-side wing entirely in the early part of this season, having O.Henry setup there at stoppage and sprint forward into attack to create an offensive outnumber in their press.

Do not forget

Ryan, Rioli, Lecras, Cripps and Venables - 5 small fwds. This is the structure again coming but maybe some of them will be Hewett like rotating mids.

Pick your 2 best Tall Fwd's ok Mine are Allen and A Reid come mid season but maybe for now i would experiment with J William's and Livingstone.

Waterman Darling is over. Move on from them.

Resting Ruck - B Williams or Barnett. Vice versa.

If you can have two excellent wingers that can do the defensive running well and offensively break the lines and use the ball well, you don’t need a stat pig. More than happy to have our wingers having 17-22 touches a week. Just look at a guy like Ed Langdon last season and how much his possessions fluctuated last season and yet he was one of the most dangerous wingers in the comp. Chesser if finally showing done dash and more confidence with ball in hand. Think him and Hunt are a good wing combo

If you can have two excellent wingers that can do the defensive running well and offensively break the lines and use the ball well, you don’t need a stat pig. More than happy to have our wingers having 17-22 touches a week. Just look at a guy like Ed Langdon last season and how much his possessions fluctuated last season and yet he was one of the most dangerous wingers in the comp. Chesser if finally showing done dash and more confidence with ball in hand. Think him and Hunt are a good wing combo

I was pretty happy with Chesser’s game in the 2nd half after a catastrophic start.

Round 1 he was playing on a 35 year old Boak playing wing late in a game. GWS have some pretty bloody good players they rotate off a wing.

This week he’ll be playing on Caleb Poulter and I think Dogs have Treloar spend a bit of time on the wing these days, so it’s a different assignment to last week.

Within 3 weeks

Culley, Sheed, Ryan and Archer Reid will all be available.

Burgiel & Hall available now.

Culley and Sheed may line up in the WAFL this week and be available next week with Liam Ryan.

I will be calling for the 203cm Archer Reid to come into the team in 3 weeks. Nothing to lose at all. I love him and recognise his talent and also believe he will offer more than any current tall fwd we have fit at the moment besides the injured Oscar. Will be great having a Big bugger like the King brothers to kick too.

If they keep Barnett in and also bring J Williams in, s**t is about to get very interesting.

Will the young mids keep Sheed in the WAFL?

Will be only waiting for Allen and Hewett mid season.

Culley 194cm i aliken to Mihocek 192cm. Someone we just have to have in team. We want some goals he has the nouse for it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back