Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 9, 2009
AFL Club
West Coast
In: Hall
Out: Barnett

Brought Barnett in too early.
Wanted to bring in Jack Williams, but his opportunity will come.
Even though it was another significant loss, couldn't find anyone else to drop.
Perhaps Darling, but they won't drop him, and he still takes a good KPD away from the rest.
Jones was a bit rusty, but he'll get better and I prefer him in the team instead of Witho.

Last edited:

In: Maric

Pleasing to see that, when we went to Waterman as the ruck, he mixed in a bit of jumping for it and a bit of staying down for a four on the floor approach.

We’re not going to win often with this ruck division, we might neutralise at times, but better to just try a new strategy (like so many teams did with Nic Nat) and mix the non-Bailey minutes up, instead of picking the least bad ruckman seemingly because that’s the done thing.

That or very deliberately pump games into him and know that it will be very rough for a while.

We need more link up and another forward option who can present, so Maric comes in.

Keen to see Jack Williams but not sure at whose expense.

Out Ledwards Jones barnett
In hall burgiel williams

Maric can sub again

Was a fan of Jones coming in but man his ball use was dreadful

In: JWilliams, Hall
Out: Barnett, Maric

JWilliams to FF. BBW to ruck.

Don't think we should play Maric as sub two weeks in a row, and unless we are going to go with Waterman as 2nd ruck, we're a bit too tall with Maric in the starting line up.

In: Maric

Pleasing to see that, when we went to Waterman as the ruck, he mixed in a bit of jumping for it and a bit of staying down for a four on the floor approach.

We’re not going to win often with this ruck division, we might neutralise at times, but better to just try a new strategy (like so many teams did with Nic Nat) and mix the non-Bailey minutes up, instead of picking the least bad ruckman seemingly because that’s the done thing.

That or very deliberately pump games into him and know that it will be very rough for a while.

We need more link up and another forward option who can present, so Maric comes in.

Keen to see Jack Williams but not sure at whose expense.
Do you think we would be too tall with J.Williams AND Maric? J.Williams up front, putting Bailey back into the ruck and Darling as the second forward target. Waterman and Maric both forward. Not sure who would go out though. Maybe L.Edwards out and Long pushes up to the wing.

Do you think we would be too tall with J.Williams AND Maric? J.Williams up front, putting Bailey back into the ruck and Darling as the second forward target. Waterman and Maric both forward. Not sure who would go out though. Maybe L.Edwards out and Long pushes up to the wing.
For a team that blows up chasing the footy, I worry about a lineup with JWill, Darling, Waterman, Maric, BWill, Jamieson, Barrass, McGovern.

Some decent runners for their size in that group, but I just don’t see how it ends with us winning enough aerial duels to make up for the lack of foot speed.

Clay hall in. All my optimism for wce future all hinges on clay hall.

No pressure but if shows something then we I can see a path for us to become a force in the future. We just can't have him not succeed as a mid.

I don't see the calls for jack Williams as FF. If bailey Williams couldnt crack it then I struggle to see Williams as anything other then a lump of clay. I don't want a Mason cox worser version as a make shift forward. Push with darling and Waterman.

As good as Sam Taylor was I don't think that justifies Williams in just to bring the ball to ground more. Bringing ball to ground wasn't the main issue

In - Maric, Hall

Out - Barnett, LEdwards

May throw team balance off a little bit with an inside mid replacing a outside, but would just rather see Hall play. Barnett tried hard, but obviously out of his depth at this stage.

Cole's second half was serviceable but if there's a way we can replace him that would be ideal. Maybe Duggan/Ginbey back when Hall is ready to come in? Burgiel obviously an ideal player to bring in but he probably replaces Jones, not Cole.
This. He was incredibly fumbly and made poor decisions again and again today. I don’t think bringing Witho back in is the answer, but maybe it’s a defensive mid like you said, that can go back and allow Hall to come into the team.

That being said, I’d go with:

OUT: Cole, Darling
IN: Hall, J Williams

I know Barnett wasn’t great, but I don’t think English is going to ragdoll him like Briggs did. Give him one more chance before dropping him, we don’t want to smash his confidence by dropping him already. Darling can go though. Giants D is amazing but even Waterman proved you can have some sort of impact if you’re not completely hopeless. Williams can’t be any worse than we’re getting from Darling at the moment.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I expect to see Barnett dropped but I don't regret playing him. It's worth him getting a game every now and then so he gets to experience exactly what it takes to be an AFL ruck. Then he can go back to WAFL a few weeks and work on his craft at a more appropriate level for his development.

In's Burgiel, Hall, Culley, Ryan.

Out Ginbey crab can't hand ball properly.
Darling done.
Waterman wannabe.
Ginbey just had his best game for the club and Waterman was easily our best forward.

Darling I'll give you, although he was much improved on last week.

Ginbey just had his best game for the club and Waterman was easily our best forward.

Darling I'll give you, although he was much improved on last week
What were you watching? 10 of 20 disposals were il-directed handballs. Terrible. Above ones head, too hard, too soft. He is never gonna be a top mid at WCE. He is a glorified half back or something he ain't gonna be.

If Waterman is our best fwd we in trouble because he is shieben.

In: Hall, Rotham, Maric (from sub)
Out: Ledwards, Jamieson, Long (to sub)

Backs: Barrass, Gov, Rotham, Hough, Cole, Duggan, Jones
Mids: Yeo, Kelly, Reid, Ginbey, Chesser, Hunt
Rucks: Williams, Barnett
Forwards: Darling, Waterman, Maric, Cripps, Brockman, Petruccelle, Hall
Sub: Long
Emergencies: Edwards (travelling), Gaff, Jamieson

If we’re going to continue with this Jamieson as a key back experiment, let’s do it in the WAFL.

Hall’s earned a debut, he can have it in place of Edwards who hasn’t done much in two weeks.

Maric to get a full game in place of Long who’s also been quiet to start the season.

Darling gets a reprieve based on his workrate and the fact I don’t really want to go into a game with a completely makeshift key forward setup, but geez he’s rustier than the deck rails on the Titanic at the moment.

The Barnett/Williams ruck pairing also gets another run. Briggs this week, English next week, Grundy the week after that … it’s the worst possible time to be missing Flynn.

What were you watching? 10 of 20 disposals were il-directed handballs. Terrible. Above ones head, too hard, too soft. He is never gonna be a top mid at WCE. He is a glorified half back or something he ain't gonna be.

If Waterman is our best fwd we in trouble because he is shieben.

I wish our players showed the consistency that you do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back