West Coast Eagles Priority Pick (2024)

Remove this Banner Ad

You have had plenty of priority picks over the last 2 decades, where has this “we seem to only have draft concessions against us rather than for us?” Come from?

Judd, Shuey and Darling is a fair trio of priority picks…

Do you even win any of your flags since 94’ without them? 2 of them are Norm Smith medalists.
Would North have won 2 flags in the 90s $10k to Sydney for Wayne Carey?

You have had plenty of priority picks over the last 2 decades, where has this “we seem to only have draft concessions against us rather than for us?” Come from?

Judd, Shuey and Darling is a fair trio of priority picks…

Do you even win any of your flags since 94’ without them? 2 of them are Norm Smith medalists.
We've had 3 and Sampi was the extra player we got with our PP, unless you think we'd have chosen him over Judd?

Anyone could've drafted Shuey/Darling.

Of course they didn't but the AFL handed it out based on their hidden formula. Still hidden so clubs don't deliberately tank.

North played finals in 2016. They were hopeless in 2017 with six wins and hovered around the bottom 10 till 2020 when they were terrible for three seasons before getting a tiny bit of assistance. 2023 was the mother lode of assistance packages after 4 years of bad results.

WC are going to be terrible for three seasons but that is off the back of 1 season out of the finals. They simiply need to wait longer for the integrity of the whole competition. They need to be the example for the whole competition to not chase another flag too hard and no one will come and help you out. Carlton, Essendon both got hammered by the AFL for cheating and were never bailed out with extra assistance, WC now needs to stop looking for hand outs and get themselves out of the mess they made.

They have never won a flag without a priority pick though so I can see why they will be asking for one straight away.

It's well known Dockers supporter Mark Duffield who wrote the article

WC haven't asked for one, but carry on

What, Ben Magoo left North, walked out on us, for 1.4 mil per year at Essington. We then got what any other club in our position would have received. There was nothing special about that. Zero assitance in that.

And Magoo had one kick just last week, which shows how good he is. lol

Lol the fact that you can't connect the dots here, is utterly hilarious. Your own mid 1st round picks, got pushed back by your own compo pick. I should have realised when you accused me of stupidity but you can't even spell accurate in your username right, whilst 'lol lol lol'ing and 'FFS, FML'ing' your ass all over the place, that I was dealing with a grade A dipsh*t.

I'm done. See ya.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Except though are ignoring what actually happens.

Say Sydney are drafting a player who is expected to go pick 7 or something and Sydney have pick 10.

We can trade pick 10 for picks 21 and 23.

Then trade pick 21 for picks 32 and 34

And trade pick 23 for picks 35 and 39

So Sydney would use picks 32. 34, 35 and 39 for the bid, but we used pick 10 to get those picks.
Using pick 10 to get Pick 1 in the draft, if only other teams had the misfortune of that scenario.

I think they've been absolutely reamed with the bidding systems now completely figured out and now completely destroying any fairness with the draft then the AFL doubled on ******* the draft by handing out help to North across 3 drafts, further ******* their hand.

But I am also completely against the AFL continuing to * everyone else over because of a clubs negligence and I love for them to draw a line and say no more. At least a club like WC would eventually be fine getting the short end of the stick there, as unfair as that is.

The problem also is WC are going to be down there for at least a few more years, it's too early to be getting help after recently winning a flag so I think they've got at least two more years of this pain before the AFL even has a discussion on it - not least because of who they are and the fact they'll be financially successful and propping up other clubs even if they stay bottom for another 50 years. No incentive for the AFl to help them

Last edited:
West Coast have seriously only been crap for 2 years. This is only the 3rd year if it even ends up becoming a terrible year.

Eagles missed finals twice from 2011-2020. They were 9th in 2021 and bottom 2 in 2022 and 2023. Not to mention, they won a Premiership in 2018.

Priority pick talk for West Coast is an while away IMO. If they are still bad in 2026 (or maybe in 2025 depending on how bad), then OK. If not, then we have our answer on whether they need it

I think they've been absolutely reamed with the bidding systems now completely figured out and now completely destroying any fairness with the draft then the AFL doubled on ******* the draft by handing out help to North across 3 drafts, further ******* their hand.

But I am also completely against the AFL continuing to * everyone else over because of a clubs negligence and I love for them to draw a line and say no more. At least a club like WC would eventually be fine getting the short end of the stick there, as unfair as that is.

The problem also is WC are going to be down there for at least a few more years, it's too early to be getting help after recently winning a flag so I think they've got at least two more years of this pain before the AFL even has a discussion on it - not least because of who they are and the fact they'll be financially successful and propping up other clubs even if they stay bottom for another 50 years. No incentive for the AFl to help them

It's not really the winning the flag somewhat recently that's the issue, it's the potential retention issue interstate draftees, who obviously never played in the flag, that presents a challenge for clubs rebuilding because due to the heavily compromised nature of the draft, clubs without academies can't afford a single mistake. This is clearly impossible due to the success rate of draftees outside the first round.

Those clubs then end up a revolving door of young players and it gets harder and harder to come back into contention, especially considering FA's won't want to go to a cellar-dweller when there's more attractive options elsewhere.

Then there's the sorry state of WA development pathways, which Freo/WCE are expected to pay for simply to see those players get drafted interstate.

Roos didnt deserve all the gobbies, WC deserve them less.
It's not really about deserving, rather if the draft wasn't as heavily compromised as it currently is, this wouldn't likely even be a topic.

West Coast have seriously only been crap for 2 years. This is only the 3rd year if it even ends up becoming a terrible year.

Eagles missed finals twice from 2011-2020. They were 9th in 2021 and bottom 2 in 2022 and 2023. Not to mention, they won a Premiership in 2018.

Priority pick talk for West Coast is an while away IMO. If they are still bad in 2026 (or maybe in 2025 depending on how bad), then OK. If not, then we have our answer on whether they need it
So you mean bad for nearly twice as long as North, right on time for Tassie to enter and take all the best players?

How many did they give away for Tim Kelly. They deserve nothing

It's not really the winning the flag somewhat recently that's the issue, it's the potential retention issue interstate draftees, who obviously never played in the flag, that presents a challenge for clubs rebuilding because due to the heavily compromised nature of the draft, clubs without academies can't afford a single mistake. This is clearly impossible due to the success rate of draftees outside the first round.

Those clubs then end up a revolving door of young players and it gets harder and harder to come back into contention, especially considering FA's won't want to go to a cellar-dweller when there's more attractive options elsewhere.

Then there's the sorry state of WA development pathways, which Freo/WCE are expected to pay for simply to see those players get drafted interstate.

It's not really about deserving, rather if the draft wasn't as heavily compromised as it currently is, this wouldn't likely even be a topic.
I'm pretty sure the AFL is going to use "you won a flag come back later" as a reason not to. Whatever the other reasons for needing them you guys think there are, they are still going to say no and use recent flag as a reason not to. I'm actually surprised so many of you are starting to think you're getting something this year. Seems very optimistic but the AFL have done crazier things, who knows

I'm pretty sure the AFL is going to use "you won a flag come back later" as a reason not to.

They already did that last year.

I'm actually surprised so many of you are starting to think you're getting something this year. Seems very optimistic but the AFL have done crazier things, who knows
Yeah, we don't honestly believe the AFL will give us any form of assistance, especially after shafting our second round pick last year.

Dimwits in the Vic media also harp on about how much money WCE have, which means diddly-squat when you're forced to compete on a level playing field in regards to salary caps.

Realistically, if they simply gave all clubs the ability to match one academy pick in the first round and not shunt our 2nd out to the 30s again, I'd simply be happy with that.

Introducing pick-purchasing would also add another avenue for clubs to improve much faster.

I just find it funny that people in the Vic media piss and moan about WCE being historically bad and how it's 'terrible' for the game then, in the same breath, say they shouldn't get any assistance.

WTF do they want then?

They already did that last year.

Yeah, we don't honestly believe the AFL will give us any form of assistance, especially after shafting our second round pick last year.

Dimwits in the Vic media also harp on about how much money WCE have, which means diddly-squat when you're forced to compete on a level playing field in regards to salary caps.

Realistically, if they simply gave all clubs the ability to match one academy pick in the first round and not shunt our 2nd out to the 30s again, I'd simply be happy with that.

Introducing pick-purchasing would also add another avenue for clubs to improve much faster.

I just find it funny that people in the Vic media piss and moan about WCE being historically bad and how it's 'terrible' for the game then, in the same breath, say they shouldn't get any assistance.

WTF do they want then?

Ahh so this is an Anti-Vic thing? :rolleyes:

Thread title is incorrect

WC hasn't actually asked for any picks, a journo has written an article saying they should ask

But if we're an historically bad team with no hope in the near future as a lot of commentators continually remind us, it's hard to also argue we don't deserve some sort of compo given what happened last year
I disagree. You need to be as poorly run like the Fremantle Dockers to get any priority picks lol

Except you won a flag 6 years ago and it was your own doing for over rating your list and trying to top up. It wasn't just the drafts of 2019-20 that have done you in, but the five years before that.

North went 13 years since their last flag till they got assistance. In an 18 team comp, 6 six simply isn't long enough even if it will take another 5 years for the assistance to impact.
Again.... It's equalization.

Eagles made finals for 6 years from 2015-2020. That means no access to early top 5 or top 10 picks as they made finals

Remove this Banner Ad

Back