Injury 2024 Season Geelong Cats Injury Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Ok replying to my own post. Not cool but looks like our coach is having same thought bubble I had…from CS

“He is going to play this weekend which is really exciting for us. But we are not in a position to sort of forecast exactly how he’s going to come back into the AFL team,” Scott said.

“I think my position, at least internally, is really clear on him: when he’s up and going and really ready to play well, he’ll be in our team somewhere, but our forward line is looking pretty stable at the moment, which is always a priority for us.

“So we will just need to think about how he comes back through the VFL program and he’ll play some different positions as well, so that will give us some options. We’re not pigeonholing him as a forward necessarily.

“If anything, we’re kind of going back to a position that he’s had a bit of experience with in the past.”
As much as Scott loves him and wants him back in i just don't see it unless we sacrifice defence or the middle which i hope to god we don't.

Rohan in to me = 1 of Close, Stengle, OH, Dempsey, Miers out which he isn't in front of at this stage and would need to bang the door down to get a look unless injury or form drops from one of the mentioned.

I do not under any circumstances want us dropping a mid or defender to fit him into a forward line that doesn't as of right now need him.

Ok replying to my own post. Not cool but looks like our coach is having same thought bubble I had…from CS

“He is going to play this weekend which is really exciting for us. But we are not in a position to sort of forecast exactly how he’s going to come back into the AFL team,” Scott said.

“I think my position, at least internally, is really clear on him: when he’s up and going and really ready to play well, he’ll be in our team somewhere, but our forward line is looking pretty stable at the moment, which is always a priority for us.

“So we will just need to think about how he comes back through the VFL program and he’ll play some different positions as well, so that will give us some options. We’re not pigeonholing him as a forward necessarily.

“If anything, we’re kind of going back to a position that he’s had a bit of experience with in the past.”
Sounds like they want to play him off half back, like he did with the swans. Pretty sure he has done it for us on a few occasions as well.

As much as Scott loves him and wants him back in i just don't see it unless we sacrifice defence or the middle which i hope to god we don't.

Rohan in to me = 1 of Close, Stengle, OH, Dempsey, Miers out which he isn't in front of at this stage and would need to bang the door down to get a look unless injury or form drops from one of the mentioned.

I do not under any circumstances want us dropping a mid or defender to fit him into a forward line that doesn't as of right now need him.
I agree with your thoughts. Both fired and back line seem settled and indeed squeezed already (with some back ups ready to come in as well).

But I don’t think any of us would have left Rohan out of our best 22 four weeks ago. And now we are struggling to see where he can fit. So what a great problem to be faced with

I wouldn’t want to change the current forward structure. Whilst Dempsey has been playing wing a lot they still count him as the 7th forward (watching those game videos he always sits with the forwards at half time)…other than Adelaide game with late outs where he basically played permanent wing, he has been a forward and pinch hit in wing…So I don’t know if they want to change it?

But can’t really leave Rohan out…so what about a different role for him (other than sub which is an obvious one)

Am I silly to float the idea of Rohan playing off a back flank? I know we are trialling Holmes there but with Rohan defensive mindset and huge pace - and a great field kick…could he add that speed off backline. Knowing we can always switch him forward in game if needed (or ruck tbh).
I'm sort of with you here CHAWTS: Rohan's closing speed is phenomenal, so purely from a defensive view point he can close down his half-forward opponent very quickly and with ease but it also then allows him with this superb and instant acceleration that he possesses to be able to run off his man, be extra creative and be a real threat running off half back. One thing is for sure CHAWTS:, as long as we don't have a bad run of injuries through year, that Scotty and the MC are going to have 'many options' going forward and that's not even bringing Connor O'Sullivan into the picture, as one day that kid is going to be a gun!

Isn’t absolutely nuts that it’s not easy to find a spot in the forward line for a player of the calibre of Gary Rohan! Next level crazy. Even in our ‘era years’ there were a clear ‘bottom 6’. This year is shaping up very nicely.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I agree with your thoughts. Both fired and back line seem settled and indeed squeezed already (with some back ups ready to come in as well).

But I don’t think any of us would have left Rohan out of our best 22 four weeks ago. And now we are struggling to see where he can fit. So what a great problem to be faced with
If he's a half back option, let Rohan replace Tuohy? A bit more dash and chase down pressure across our half back line?

For Rohan's swing man potential up forward, perhaps we let Cameron continue his roaming wingman rotation, where he remains dominant outside of poor conversion.

So your two set ups in the short term (Round 6-8 time frame) could be:

FB: Z.Guthrie De Koning J.Henry
HB: Rohan Kolo Stewart
C: Holmes Dangerfield Duncan
HF: Close Cameron Miers
FF: O.Henry Hawkins Stengle
FOL: Stanley Bruhn Blicavs
IC: Bowes Atkins Dempsey Parfitt MOC(sub)

and

FB: Z.Guthrie De Koning J.Henry
HB: Duncan Kolo Stewart
C: Holmes Dangerfield Cameron
HF: Close O.Henry Miers
FF: Rohan Hawkins Stengle
FOL: Stanley Bruhn Blicavs
IC: Bowes Atkins Dempsey Parfitt MOC(sub)

Last edited:
Isn’t absolutely nuts that it’s not easy to find a spot in the forward line for a player of the calibre of Gary Rohan! Next level crazy. Even in our ‘era years’ there were a clear ‘bottom 6’. This year is shaping up very nicely.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
That's true about the forward line, at least. Which is clearly not going to be our challenge this season, if they all stay fit.

The glaring issue is in the middle of the ground. And unless Danger and Guth get back and remain upright, our deficiencies there are surely going to be too large a hurdle to overcome against the best teams.

The kids in the middle are coming through strongly, no doubt. I really like what's building in there. But they're not ready as a group of young tyros to consistently challenge the best midfield units going around. And no amount of capability and availability up forward or down back is going to be able to cover that up.

It feels like forever since we’ve had Danger and Guthrie both playing good footy in the same midfield.

Holmes and Bruhn have come on since last year, so I’m super pumped to see what they can do once they all are together.

If Danger and Guthrie can hit form (bit of a ? On Guthrie for mine) it’ll really strengthen our midfield and have us looking like a top team.

Anyone know what is going on with Jed Bews?

Love me a short injury list. I know people are pessimistic about this week but when you have only one of your best 23 players unavailable you have no excuses.

Player Injury Expected Return
Cam GuthrieQuad 1-3 weeks
Joe FurphyAnkle1 week
Mitch EdwardsBack2 weeks

Love me a short injury list. I know people are pessimistic about this week but when you have only one of your best 23 players unavailable you have no excuses.

Cam GuthrieQuad 1-3 weeks
Joe FurphyAnkle1 week
Mitch EdwardsBack2 weeks
That is enlightening.

Last year we went up there missing a few and with a few others banged up.

This year we could be close to full health while they have a few absentees and injury issues.

As long as Danger, Hawkins and Kolo hit the ground running we are a massive chance.

Cam GuthrieQuad1-3 weeks
Joe FurphyAnkle1 week
Mitch EdwardsBack2 weeks
Not expecting a win, but as long as we can go up there and make things competitive it's a good sign of where we're at IMO.

6-0 would be a dream, 5-1 while pushing the lions right to the line would be great too. It's still probably the hardest trip in footy outside of KP for opposition sides.

A blowout would be majorly disappointing, and I doubt it eventuates.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not expecting a win, but as long as we can go up there and make things competitive it's a good sign of where we're at IMO.

6-0 would be a dream, 5-1 while pushing the lions right to the line would be great too. It's still probably the hardest trip in footy outside of KP for opposition sides.

A blowout would be majorly disappointing, and I doubt it eventuates.
That’s pretty fair.

They beat Norf by 70 up there which is comparable to our win at home. They lost to Blues and Pies up there. It’s hard to see how we could be smashed.

If he's a half back option, let Rohan replace Tuohy? A bit more dash and chase down pressure across our half back line?

For Rohan's swing man potential up forward, perhaps we let Cameron continue his roaming wingman rotation, where he remains dominant outside of poor conversion.

The concern I have with Rohan playing either half back or wing, is that he just doesn't get enough of the ball.

As a forward he can get away with 10 disposals and 1-2 goals and when combined with ability to take a pack mark or at least halve a contest and some really good tackling pressure he's a good addition to the side. But if he's playing half back/wing, he needs to get in the 15-20 disposal range at a minimum, which he hasn't shown the ability to do at any stage in his career.

The concern I have with Rohan playing either half back or wing, is that he just doesn't get enough of the ball.

As a forward he can get away with 10 disposals and 1-2 goals and when combined with ability to take a pack mark or at least halve a contest and some really good tackling pressure he's a good addition to the side. But if he's playing half back/wing, he needs to get in the 15-20 disposal range at a minimum, which he hasn't shown the ability to do at any stage in his career.
Agreed Rohan is a forward if he can't force his way into ours he should sit in the VFL until he does.

No shoehorning players into the team by putting them into positions that do not suit them.

Also who would we drop from our defensive group to fit him in? SDK no Stewart no Henry no Kolo no Zuthrie no Holmes no Duncan no

Rohan did have some slightly higher disposal accounts in games at half back (sort his games by rebound 50s to see what I mean) but you're right that he will never get Holmes or Duncan numbers. He remains value per possession and action, just like up forward.

I actually think it could work alongside the more prolific back flankers. Scott loves his utilities that he can plug in here, there and everywhere (and this board HATES it).

It's a wait and see for me. I'd have him in the side ahead of Tuohy no matter the role. His chase down pressure and how it gets others doing the same is worth a goal or two. He'll have some nice breakaways no matter where we put him

But there's not much room once Guthrie is back.

Cam GuthrieQuad1-3 weeks
Joe FurphyAnkle1 week
Mitch EdwardsBack2 weeks

236 games of experience on that list.

Mind blowing that if we don't pick up any new injuries against the Lions (touch wood) then our injury list combined games could go to zero.

Amazing it's just under 9 weeks since the injury and the clubs first guidance was 8-10 weeks.

It has been a long road to get here

Almost like is was a medium to long term injury 😉

In exciting news for the Cats, midfielder Cameron Guthrie has completed his rehabilitation and will be available for selection this weekend.

“Cam hasn’t missed a beat with his rehab the whole way through,” Johnson said.

Geelong Cats GMHBA Health Update – Round 7​

PlayerInjuryExpected return
Tom StewartConcussionTBC
Phoenix FosterConcussionTBC
Joe FurphyAnkle2 weeks
Mitch EdwardsBack3-4 weeks

https://www.geelongcats.com.au/news...CXm4vm5UsJz84OFc_wieqoNt4Inehoga6mMv-Q0VmWYg3

Amazing it's just under 9 weeks since the injury and the clubs first guidance was 8-10 weeks.

It has been a long road to get here
THE DOUBTERS SAID IT COULDNT BE DONE

Reliably informed from a doctor that listing weeks made him heal quicker. I suggested we list in days or hours next year and the heal rate will be staggeringly fast!

Reliably informed from a doctor that listing weeks made him heal quicker. I suggested we list in days or hours next year and the heal rate will be staggeringly fast!

Well, it appears we're far more reliably informed these days if nothing else.

We got an accurate return date, rather than a vague term.

It seems the club CAN do it after all.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back