Preview Round 6 2024 – Carlton vs GWS Giants, Saturday April 20, 4.35pm AEST, Marvel Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

If you have access, watch Carlton vs Adelaide match. It was the game of the round.

The template to beat Carlton is what Adelaide did. Put in Rankine and Raschele in the centre and rotate mids and centre forwards.

I predict that Toby will be in the middle a lot more this Saturday.

Go the Giants! It's a danger game but doable.

aside from the VFL report saying Preuss is ‘building’ (hardly a tick of approval) …We are just coming off a bye

Leave Briggs
Indeed …. I doubt Carlton run with two rucks again as it was a big mistake. Also Kingers laughed when asked about Briggsy being injured so he should be good to go

I don't know if HH or Haynes are suited to the pure 'stopper' defensive role. Leek is the next-best fullback option we have so I think you've got to give him a chance and see what he's capable of against McKay and Curnow.

Thomas has been going okay but is very young, so it wouldn't hurt to give him a rest and let us see what Darcy Jones is capable of.

I don't know if HH or Haynes are suited to the pure 'stopper' defensive role. Leek is the next-best fullback option we have so I think you've got to give him a chance and see what he's capable of against McKay and Curnow.

Thomas has been going okay but is very young, so it wouldn't hurt to give him a rest and let us see what Darcy Jones is capable of.

I watched the whole VFL game against Sandy (admittedly on TV) and the impression I got of Leek was that he jumps around a lot but that other aspects of his game are still works in progress. I think he is still more athlete than footballer; but also that he shows enough to eventually make the grade. Probably the three 'talls' in the defence will be Bucks, HH and Haynes, but one from left field could be Derksen on debut. He is being trialed in defence, a role he is new to, but is experienced as a forward so 'knowing thy enemy' might help!

Not out of the question.
From what I saw of the vfl game, Preuss spent most of his time deep full forward. Madden did the majority ruck work. Preuss did ok when in the ruck but he certainly hasn’t come close imo to having played enough there to take on a full AFL game in the centre.

He was very much being eased back in. The run will do him good, but I’m not resting Briggs just yet.

From what I saw of the vfl game, Preuss spent most of his time deep full forward. Madden did the majority ruck work. Preuss did ok when in the ruck but he certainly hasn’t come close imo to having played enough there to take on a full AFL game in the centre.

He was very much being eased back in. The run will do him good, but I’m not resting Briggs just yet.
Preuss has had ongoing back injuries. He will be way behind in his running and fitness.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Could Leek also do some ruck work?
Do we also need to allow for the possibility Briggs can't play his usual minutes due to injury?

I can see a few more changes than the 2 injured in yesterdays game and yes midfield pressure will need to be high to slow the inside 50's and force them to be shallow and I think Kingsley will back in the experienced tall defenders to match up on Curnow and Mckay and although undersized v Mckay Buckley I see as the match up and he will be relying on the mids to slow the entries down and also support from HH and Haynes. I dont see Aleer as ready yet for that match up and Keefe ddint play yesterday and he is too slow to play in the back half
Ward for Coniglio and then Haynes for Buckley and then if Rowston comes in if they see the game being more contested, Jones if they see him as ready or Angwin for some more outside run
Hoping Briggs is good and no more easy games until the bye. Blues, Lions, Swans, Bombers, Dogs and then the Cats
if we go even 3 and 3 through there we will be in a super position after the bye.
This great start as really set our year up nicely.

Hope we go with Aleer or Keefe this week and don’t make the mistake of playing Haynes as key back. We just need a stopper who can bring it to ground against big Key forwards a Haynes isn’t that.

Ward straight swap for Cogs. Really want to see Jones get a game cause he will keep his spot once selected but doesn’t look to be an opening at this point.

Although they have been winning the blues haven’t been playing that well all season and just scrapping by. They. Have more injuries than us (we are only missing 2 from our best 23)
Haynes played as an accountable defender for much of his first 8 or 9 years. He only moved to a loose defender in about 2019 because we had Davis and Taylor as key defenders.

A six-week hamstring injury for Carlton speedster Adam Saad headlines a trio of soft tissue setbacks for the Blues after being handed their first defeat of 2024 in Round 5. None of Saad or Mitch McGovern could finish off the game in the two-point loss, while Adam Cerra was a late withdrawal from the side to face Adelaide. All of the trio have been ruled out of this weekend’s game against GWS, with Cerra and McGovern both set to miss 1-2 weeks with their own hamstring injuries.

Haynes played as an accountable defender for much of his first 8 or 9 years. He only moved to a loose defender in about 2019 because we had Davis and Taylor as key defenders.

Was due to injuries and although he can do it he really struggled against the bigger key forwards which is what we are up against this weekend. We had Davis/Cornes/Mohr/Patful/Corr/Tomlinson who were all playing Key back to allow Haynes to play third tall.

Given Keefe didn’t play at any level due to the birth of he his baby I’d expect him to come in. All this role needs to do is bring it to ground and keefe is the best chance of that.

Outside of Curnow and McKay the blues have struggled to find goals.

A six-week hamstring injury for Carlton speedster Adam Saad headlines a trio of soft tissue setbacks for the Blues after being handed their first defeat of 2024 in Round 5. None of Saad or Mitch McGovern could finish off the game in the two-point loss, while Adam Cerra was a late withdrawal from the side to face Adelaide. All of the trio have been ruled out of this weekend’s game against GWS, with Cerra and McGovern both set to miss 1-2 weeks with their own hamstring injuries.
No excuses this weekend. The blues have a long injury list and we are really only missing 2 from best 23.

Can’t understate just how big of an impact no saad and McGovern are for them. Cerra they can cover but those two are critical in moving the ball out of the back end.

I’ll say it’s as big as a hinderance to them as us having Taylor out is for us. Massive

If our pressure is up and their mids distribution inside 50 is rushed like late last year we will be a huge chance

I’m expecting us to lose the clearance battle but win the game

Can’t understate just how big of an impact no saad and McGovern are for them. Cerra they can cover but those two are critical in moving the ball out of the back end.

I’ll say it’s as big as a hinderance to them as us having Taylor out is for us. Massive

If our pressure is up and their mids distribution inside 50 is rushed like late last year we will be a huge chance

I’m expecting us to lose the clearance battle but win the game
Saad, McGovern and Cerra played in Round 24 last year when we beat them by just over five goals. Sam Taylor was missing that day.

The bookies think our odds have improved significantly.

Their ball movement is already pretty grim so missing 2 dangerous users like Saad and Gov is gonna hurt them even more, think we should have them this week

If we can tap last year's "anywhere, anytime" mantra, then we should be a massive chance to win this. Marvel has been a bit of a bogey ground for us, which it shouldn't be if we just play to our strengths and our game plan.

As others have said, Adelaide beat them on ball movement; Brisbane were smashing them on ball movement in the first half of opening round until Kiddy Coleman got injured. So, if we can keep our normal turnover and ball movement game plan, you would hope that our defensive setup - even missing Taylor - would compensate for likely losing the contested battle. (And then kick straight up front, damn it.)

I doubt (given Blues' fans comments & interpretation of Voss' comments) that Pittonet is retained, leaving Carlton with effectively 1 ruck (TDK) and two KPFs (the undoubted talents of Curnow & McKay). I am starting to think more and more, that we could possibly not replace Taylor with a tall, but leave the defensive setup to Buckley/HH/Idun/Whitfield/Ash/Perryman, and introduce another speedster/ball-mover to help our ball movement. Fahey could be an option, as the 7th defender; or even someone like Darcy Jones and rotate Wehr through the defensive setup if required. As well, Brown could be thrown into a defensive role if required for a bit more height and spring.

Daniels, Thomas, Brown and Jones if selected I can see all spending time on the wing, especially at centre bounces, to take advantage of their zip.

Win, and we tick another venue off the "win list" for 2024.

Going to be an interesting team selection, and an interesting game. A great opportunity for us to knock off a Victorian contender at home if we can get it right.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back