Player Watch #7: Zane Duursma

Remove this Banner Ad

* me dead, some of you need a lie down haha

He's an 18 year old first year player in a really s**t team, so let's give him a few more weeks before delisting him.

Imagine being a first year player playing as a forward in arguably the worst footy team for last 50 years.

We've seen enough during the U18 & practice games to show that once we become a competitive team.....Zane will show his worth.
It must be so frustrating for him and PC. They must still have contact with U18 teammates or state teammates at other clubs flourishing or just being allowed to develop in competent sides with decent structure on game day.

Must be thinking geez that’d be nice to have senior players shouldering the load or at a minimum driving standards to follow and see that’s how a true pro goes about their craft.

Ridiculous to call him a draft blunder after 6 games. The Hawks would've taken him next and Dogs and Dees didn't pick Curtin either. Curtin would be struggling just as much in our side as a back or mid and he's not even playing in the Crows team.
Always going to be a slower burn until he adds muscle. Also playing with the weight of the world on his shoulders as well.

I spell in the VFL might be in order to get some touch and confidence. Colby and him shouldn't be doing the heavy lifting anyway but that's how poor our senior group is, there's too much pressure on these young kids just making their way to have an impact on games when they play one good quarter mostly as Fagan said.

Imagine being a first year player playing as a forward in arguably the worst footy team for last 50 years.

We've seen enough during the U18 & practice games to show that once we become a competitive team.....Zane will show his worth.
Agree, when he joins a competitive team he will be a good player.

Role change needed.
Half forward is tough in a good team, and it’s an absolute wasteland in our side. Either play him deep as a pseudo FF or in a wing rotation (tank might be an issue atm though)
Maybe 10 minutes forward, break, 5-7 minutes on a wing and then back forward for example.

Other option is a two week stint at VFL level, I’d rather him stay in the seniors for now though but does need abit of a rocket. Couple short steps today and doesn’t hunt ball or man defensively enough yet.
Have faith in him it’s a tough gig in our 22 at the moment

Would love to see him moved to half back to get some cheap footy for a confidence booster.

He was always going to take a bit more development time compared to Sheezel, Wardlaw, and McKercher, but the early signs have been good and he played a lot more football so far than most expected.

We're sadly now in the box seat to draft his brother next year, but that would be a fun combination to watch develop over the next decade.

He looked promising in the first two weeks, when the ball movement was functional and he had some space to operate in.

Northball has ground to a halt, his looks at goal have dried up and the confidence is down as a result.

No concerns at all.

He's going okay to my eye. Larkey and Curtis are the only forwards that have fired a shot this year, Larkey is a gun and Curtis is well on his way to being one through brute strength.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Seen enough to say he'll be B grade at worst. As we improve could be A/A+????

Imagine watching the ball fly in 50m UP and 50m down often to one of the 3 hanging off Larkey?

My wife who knows 'little' asked 'Why do they keep kicking it long to the same spot when it hasn't worked yet?'

When it turns he'll be part of the improvement.

Seen enough to say he'll be B grade at worst. As we improve could be A/A+????

Imagine watching the ball fly in 50m UP and 50m down often to one of the 3 hanging off Larkey?

My wife who knows 'little' asked 'Why do they keep kicking it long to the same spot when it hasn't worked yet?'

When it turns he'll be part of the improvement.
LOL...it's a game that be over complicated at times.

I took QLD league fan to a game once. At one point she asked "what do they keep kicking it there....it just keeps coming back...."

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

Poor kid is playing one of the hardest positions on the ground in one of the worst teams in history as a skinny 18 year old.

A lot of posts lamenting the fact that we lost out on Harley Reid but when this kid's had a couple of pre-seasons under his belt and put on some muscle, he'll be the x-factor match winner we're looking for.

He hasn’t lost his leap.

In the third quarter we kicked a goal after the ball spilled out the back. I think it was Chom that crashed the pack, but on replay I noticed that ZD also tried to fly for it from the front/side. His elevation was amazing.

Wouldn’t surprise me if he was given a spell in the next week or two, either to freshen up, or to use the VFL to remind himself what he can bring.

Zane is treading water. Time to find some touch in the VFL.

We can't afford him to be a bust. We just can't.

With our luck even if he turns out to be a very good player he’ll send some rude text to some ex girlfriend

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Is getting absolutely zero support in terms of delivery. It's shocking. I'm surprised he's even getting his hand on the ball at this point.

Suspect Zane in the Saints pre-season match is the real Zane.

For the season proper I think we need to put an asterisk against any permanent forward indicating mitigating circumstances for their possession count.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back