VFL The VFL Thread Part II - [Wildcard Round (7 v 10) Melbourne v North Melbourne, Sunday 27 Aug, 2.45pm, Casey Fields]

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't necessarily take Call Twomey's phrasing as being exact, but I am interested in the wording - Sonsie 'had his charge reduced', which begs the question, who by? If it's gone straight to the Tribunal, procedurally shouldn't it be for the player's representative to argue for the downgrading, with like, umm, evidence? This reads like someone's decided, oh well, nobody's jaw got broken, so we'll get this fixed up quick smart and lessen the charge.

I see from most of the comments here, we're all of a like mind, namely the David King camp - punish the act, not the outcome

I don't necessarily take Call Twomey's phrasing as being exact, but I am interested in the wording - Sonsie 'had his charge reduced', which begs the question, who by? If it's gone straight to the Tribunal, procedurally shouldn't it be for the player's representative to argue for the downgrading, with like, umm, evidence? This reads like someone's decided, oh well, nobody's jaw got broken, so we'll get this fixed up quick smart and lessen the charge.

I see from most of the comments here, we're all of a like mind, namely the David King camp - punish the act, not the outcome
The VFL sent it to the tribunal as a 5 weeker AT LEAST due to its severe impact ranking and the TRIBUNAL decided to lessen it to high impact.

This reads like someone's decided, oh well, nobody's jaw got broken, so we'll get this fixed up quick smart and lessen the charge.

This is exactly what would have happened

Reminds me of McCartin on Black a couple years ago and got FIVE weeks for it.

Whats the difference?

The way Black reacted?

The VFL sent it to the tribunal as a 5 weeker AT LEAST due to its severe impact ranking and the TRIBUNAL decided to lessen it to high impact.

This reads like someone's decided, oh well, nobody's jaw got broken, so we'll get this fixed up quick smart and lessen the charge.

This is exactly what would have happened
Before the case is heard? Tribunal as prosecutor and adjudicator...not a process I'm familiar with

Before the case is heard? Tribunal as prosecutor and adjudicator...not a process I'm familiar with
Sorry, yes. Tribunal as an event not the people who chair it. Sonsie/Representative would have met with the committee this evening with Cappellari/Representative and the committee decided it was not a severe impact.

Jeepers - that seems so soft. Deliberate punch to the jaw off the ball. Wow. I don't always understand the tribunal system but this seems unbelievable. Whats the real story here? Have I missed something?

Reminds me of McCartin on Black a couple years ago and got FIVE weeks for it.

Whats the difference?

The way Black reacted?
The difference it is his a NMFC player could you imagine if it was a Richmond player that this happened to there be wanting a life ban and police chargers .
Our club needs to stand up and make a statement especially after what happened with Zieball that same day.
If we don’t make a statement as a club it will prove how weak and decadent this club has become and give a Green Light to any player from other clubs and members to continue to do this.

Staggering. Players have got 3 weeks for football acts gone slightly wrong. Giving players token weeks for jumper punches and stupid stuff when fronting up against each other I'm fine with - that's completely different to what is effectively a sucker punch completely out of the blue.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Staggering. Players have got 3 weeks for football acts gone slightly wrong. Giving players token weeks for jumper punches and stupid stuff when fronting up against each other I'm fine with - that's completely different to what is effectively a sucker punch completely out of the blue.
Yep, there should be separate categories for Footballing Actions (tackling, spoiling etc) and Non-Footballing Actions (punching a bloke in the head). A suspension for latter should not be reduced just because the player was lucky not to be concussed or more seriously injured.

Yep, there should be separate categories for Footballing Actions (tackling, spoiling etc) and Non-Footballing Actions (punching a bloke in the head). A suspension for latter should not be reduced just because the player was lucky not to be concussed or more seriously injured.
Agree.

Even punching in the head, not that I condone it, there is a big difference between face to face scrapping in a bit of a scrum / melee vs clocking someone who would not reasoably be expecting it. I think this sets a very bad precedent.

I can't imagine I'm Robinson Crusoe, but I don't understand the system, at all. The incident was so serious it was referred direct to the Tribunal, but before it got there, the charge was downgraded (by the MRO?), and now the Tribunal is appealing against the second decision of the MRO?

Makes goal reviews look sensible

I can't imagine I'm Robinson Crusoe, but I don't understand the system, at all. The incident was so serious it was referred direct to the Tribunal, but before it got there, the charge was downgraded (by the MRO?), and now the Tribunal is appealing against the second decision of the MRO?

Makes goal reviews look sensible

They did go to the tribunal but the Tigers argued their case. Now the VFL is going to the Appeals board on the grounds that the decision had involved an error of law that had “a material impact on the tribunal’s decision”, and that “the decision was so unreasonable that no controlling body or tribunal acting reasonably could have come to that decision having regard to the evidence before it”.

League steps in to appeal Tiger’s ‘woefully inadequate’ ban​

Lauren Wood

The three-match ban handed to Richmond youngster Tyler Sonsie for his ugly high hit will be appealed by the VFL with a hearing to be held on Monday night.

Sonsie, 20, was captured on match vision from Sunday’s clash with North Melbourne appearing to tussle with opponent Tom Cappellari on Sunday before he landed a blow to the Roo’s chin, sending him to the ground.

Sonsie was hit with a three-match penalty on Tuesday evening – which was lashed as “woefully inadequate” — but the league will appeal the ban on the grounds that it was manifestly inadequate for the act.

After confirming its decision to appeal the penalty on Wednesday afternoon, the VFL also confirmed that it would challenge the suspension on grounds that the decision had involved an error of law that had “a material impact on the tribunal’s decision”, and that “the decision was so unreasonable that no controlling body or tribunal acting reasonably could have come to that decision having regard to the evidence before it”.

The league had been pushing for a ban of five or more matches but Richmond representatives were successful in getting the impact of the hit downgraded from severe to high impact.

The Kangaroos’ medical report had indicated that Cappellari had not exhibited any symptoms of concussion or fractures and would train this week.

The appeal is set to be heard at 5pm on Monday.

They did go to the tribunal but the Tigers argued their case. Now the VFL is going to the Appeals board on the grounds that the decision had involved an error of law that had “a material impact on the tribunal’s decision”, and that “the decision was so unreasonable that no controlling body or tribunal acting reasonably could have come to that decision having regard to the evidence before it”.

Lauren Wood

The three-match ban handed to Richmond youngster Tyler Sonsie for his ugly high hit will be appealed by the VFL with a hearing to be held on Monday night.

Sonsie, 20, was captured on match vision from Sunday’s clash with North Melbourne appearing to tussle with opponent Tom Cappellari on Sunday before he landed a blow to the Roo’s chin, sending him to the ground.

Sonsie was hit with a three-match penalty on Tuesday evening – which was lashed as “woefully inadequate” — but the league will appeal the ban on the grounds that it was manifestly inadequate for the act.

After confirming its decision to appeal the penalty on Wednesday afternoon, the VFL also confirmed that it would challenge the suspension on grounds that the decision had involved an error of law that had “a material impact on the tribunal’s decision”, and that “the decision was so unreasonable that no controlling body or tribunal acting reasonably could have come to that decision having regard to the evidence before it”.

The league had been pushing for a ban of five or more matches but Richmond representatives were successful in getting the impact of the hit downgraded from severe to high impact.

The Kangaroos’ medical report had indicated that Cappellari had not exhibited any symptoms of concussion or fractures and would train this week.

thanks!

Lauren Wood

So the league is arguing with itself

Remove this Banner Ad

Back