Autopsy Round 8, 2024: Positives and Negatives vs Essendon

Remove this Banner Ad

But there were plenty of other brain fades that cost us the game too.

Cripps error was egregious, but it had no more impact than a dozen others.

The closer a game is, and the closer it is to the end, the more weight fans put on mistakes.

Shallow proximal cause thinking that coaching staff cannot afford.

Cripps will cop his wack for a dumb act, but the club will not blame him for the loss any more than any other error.

I suspect they will be more concerned with mistakes like positioning poorly, lack of effort, failure to follow the game plan etc, that in many cases most fans wouldn't even notice, than one off brain fades.

On SM-A346E using BigFooty.com mobile app
I agree with the majority of what you say, but fans are more likely to forgive a skill error than an undisciplined one like that.

We have such a logjam of good forwards that its almost a concern

Jack Willians has taken a huge leap forward the last few weeks. Some of his contest work was sublime last night. His set shot kicking is also very good too. Waterman in career best form and just beasting it. Then we have Ryan Maric as this very good up and comer with Oscar Allen too return doing what he does. We then have the need to play Bailey Williams as a forward since his forward craft is also improving and lets us play a true 1st choice ruck and this is excluding the fact we have Liam Ryan, Jack Dartling still around and then Archer Reid still to come through

The actual negative is we cant play all these guys so what do we do in the next 3+ years ? Cant just like hope on injuries so we can rotate them in and what not. All our best 22 when everyone is fit footballers.

You almost feel like we need to trade one to get something back? Otherwise we gotta start moving someone down back immediately (Maric) and planning some out in that part of the ground. Its a fantastic problem to have really. If we can nab a guy like Busslinger too then come the next 5 years we probably dont even need to bother drafting a KPP. Just midfielders and flankers only is all that is required.

When Flynn is back I think the path should be

FB: Hough, Barass, Cole
HB: Maric, McGovern, Duggan

HF: Cripps, Waterman, Petch
FF: Ryan, Allen, J.Williams

With B.Williams on the bench

Rotham to be the guy to miss out. He just isnt a good enough kick or ball mover when he gets it. In replacing him with Maric long term hopefully we get better ball movement out of defense

Either way I think this is the biggest positives of 2024. We learnt Waterman has a long career ahead of him as a much improved player, that Jack Williams is a genuine AFL forward, that Ryan Maric has it and that when I put all that onto paper we still got Archer Reid, Rhett Bazzo, Harry Edwards waiting in the wings.

If the AFL media were smart enough to look at our spine, theyd probably see we are doing well in our rebuild really

I definitely think we need to be finding ways to keep Maric in the team, and putting him in the backline is a good way to do it.

One issue I take with your team sheet is when Oscar does come back, I want him to play CHF. Waterman has shown he’s best close to goals, and I think we put Oscar there by default when he is actually a much better CHF than full forward in my mind.

I definitely think we need to be finding ways to keep Maric in the team, and putting him in the backline is a good way to do it.

One issue I take with your team sheet is when Oscar does come back, I want him to play CHF. Waterman has shown he’s best close to goals, and I think we put Oscar there by default when he is actually a much better CHF than full forward in my mind.
Archer Reid should be pencilled in as a KPD too imo

More than just general fitness, Ryan looks like a player who doesn't have enough confidence in his body to really push it yet - particularly with repeated sprints and opening up to his full pace.

Genuinely not sure whether we play him for a few more weeks or WAFL him. But that lack of forward pressure he's bringing ATM is hurting us. Missed that aspect of Brockman's game.

Archer Reid should be pencilled in as a KPD too imo

If Reid can become a KPD, and we can get Busslinger to come home that would be a huge win for our KPP stocks. Fingers crossed Bazzo can get a clear run at it.

Maric has also said there have been convos about pushing him up to the wing. Not sure what our obsession with tall wingman is, but if it works I’d love to see Maric using his foot skills off a wing.

Agree with that but he wont have the tank for it this year :(

Think 2025 is when that move occurs. Sucks but is what it is

More than just general fitness, Ryan looks like a player who doesn't have enough confidence in his body to really push it yet - particularly with repeated sprints and opening up to his full pace.

Genuinely not sure whether we play him for a few more weeks or WAFL him. But that lack of forward pressure he's bringing ATM is hurting us. Missed that aspect of Brockman's game.
This is evident in the way he runs and the reluctance to leap. Or perhaps he has been told not to leap.

I still don't think Petruccelle ever hits his absolute top speed/gear, he goes 90% to protect his hammies but that works for him as he's pretty quick.

I think Ryan is at his best if he can get top speed again and playing games will help that confidence grow slowly.

This may hurt some feelings but we cant play Ryan in the WAFl. The team is too atrocious for a guy like Ryan to get into form or well do anything good. He is just gonna sit up forward, watching the other team kick goal after goal.

Now we can sit here and bitch and moan about Ryans form and needing to find it in the WAFL, but our system sucks so bad, it doesnt actually give us this as a option

For now all we can do is leave Ryan up forward til gets his groove back. Its the only place he will be able to achieve this. Its not his fault either so lets not I guess berate him for our horrible system

There's no place for Darling in the side when Allen and Maric are back, especially after J Williams' break out efforts last night.

We don't need to relegate Maric to the backline to have him in the side.

There's no place for Darling in the side when Allen and Maric are back, especially after J Williams' break out efforts last night.

Not sure its a relegation, its just the fact we move the ball really poorly from defense and we need to think of ways to improve that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure it's a relegation, its just the fact we move the ball really poorly from defense and we need to think of ways to improve that.
Then you lose Maric's delivery inside 50. Just robbing Peter to pay Paul.

Delivery out of the backline is definitely something we should be looking at in the upcoming drafts.

Then you lose Maric's delivery inside 50. Just robbing Peter to pay Paul.

Delivery out of the backline is definitely something we should be looking at in the upcoming drafts.
My hope is Liam Ryan gets back to some form and he can compensate for that a bit I suppose.

I think we need to experiment a bit now. We aint making finals so why not ?

Other Williams says no.
Time will tell.

Flynn still has to be No. 1 over BWill. This is one of our biggest issues atm.

Oscar and Waterman are locks as key forwards. Who is the 3rd Fwd/Ruck? im still taking Bailey over Jack atm. Jack had a great game and unlucky to have played 1 or 2 too many games to be nominated for the RS this week. Does a lot of things right and is the big Fundy for a reason.

I personally don’t think we can have the 4 tall forwards. So Maric to a half back and use that elite kicking? Or Maric in that Jezza Cameron role? Darling to the magoos with Jack Williams and Archer Reid?

Good problem to have if we can get to that stage.

Now to try and get to that stage with wingers/running half back flankers

Not sure about this.

Pre-season it was touch and go between Waterman and Maric. Waterman put in a couple of good pre-season games and got his spot and clearly will keep it.

Darling is finding form, has been better in the last month, and on form is still in front of Maric.

When Oscar and Flynn come back it will be interesting.

Flynn, Oscar, Snake are three locks then it’s between JWilliams/BWilliams for 2nd ruck, and we may decide to go tall and it’s one of J/Williams/BWilliams/Darling/Maric.

Of that last group Darling is still ahead of Maric, and right here right now so it JWilliams.

Could see us going with Flynn in the ruck, JWilliams as fwd/ruck then Oscar, Snake and maybe Darling in that last spot.

B Williams and Maric are stiff to miss out but tall forwards is probably our most competitive area.

Negative: Waterman is officially on pace to cost us goals in a few weeks time.

6, 5, 4, now 3 last night. Does not bode well for Muzza.
Positive: that av tho

IMG_4921.gif

Onlyfans flogging.
Tv Land Bdsm GIF by [HASH=785530]#Impastor[/HASH]

Not sure about this.

Pre-season it was touch and go between Waterman and Maric. Waterman put in a couple of good pre-season games and got his spot and clearly will keep it.

Darling is finding form, has been better in the last month, and on form is still in front of Maric.

When Oscar and Flynn come back it will be interesting.

Flynn, Oscar, Snake are three locks then it’s between JWilliams/BWilliams for 2nd ruck, and we may decide to go tall and it’s one of J/Williams/BWilliams/Darling/Maric.

Of that last group Darling is still ahead of Maric, and right here right now so it JWilliams.

Could see us going with Flynn in the ruck, JWilliams as fwd/ruck then Oscar, Snake and maybe Darling in that last spot.

B Williams and Maric are stiff to miss out but tall forwards is probably our most competitive area.
Maric's been training on the wing to add a second position, he said in a radio interview last week, so that's another option.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back