Toast “Controlling” football

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rebranding as “controlling” football which is more accurate. The plan is about controlling the ball which denies the opposition the chance to pressure, patience when required (which can appear “slow”), pulling the trigger at the right time (which can appear “fast”) to get the ball forward when our forwards have position.

Rebranding as “controlling” football which is more accurate. The plan is about controlling the ball which denies the opposition the chance to pressure, patience when required (which can appear “slow”), pulling the trigger at the right time (which can appear “fast”) to get the ball forward when our forwards have position.
And it gives good defensive/pressure teams like Richmond, Port Adelaide and Brisbane time to setup while we "control" the ball down back.

It's a shame you're ignoring me cause I have a lot to say on the matter:)

Funny how people spend the week leading up to the game complaining how we will lose because we are too tall then when we win and it’s conveniently irrelevant. Can’t have it both ways.

Been here long?

This is the precise m.o. employed by the ABS Crew ad infinitum on this board. Every bad loss is confirmation of their views about the coach. As is every good win.

Fish, a gun, and a barrel seriously have nothing on our lot.

Ball movement and team zoning/defence this season has at least been superior at the Gabba compared to anywhere else. Geelong of late struggle in these areas at Adelaide it seems. MCG is another.

I do agree with your point to some degree but getting dominated from centre bounces and missing set shots were far more critical against Port. We found plenty of scoring opportunities but didn't take them and made some calamitous mistakes leading to Port goals. Need to win the territory battle, contested footy and general "hunting" mentality or else style of ball movement won't be a big factor in my eyes. When our midfield are on top, it's never an issue.

This is seriously all you need to know about this whole debate. If you can't get these areas sorted, no 'tweaks' to your game plan/ball movement are going to make any great difference.

If we get these areas right on Saturday night (under what will clearly be more intense pressure), we are in with a massive chance. 'Controlling football' stacks up, no doubt. Just need to control these 'controllables' and the game plan will be more than fine.

Been here long?

This is the precise m.o. employed by the ABS Crew ad infinitum on this board. Every bad loss is confirmation of their views about the coach. As is every good win.

Fish, a gun, and a barrel seriously have nothing on our lot.

I did forget to mention that we're talking about lots of fish here (like, seriously, a really big school of them) and an extremely tiny barrel (like the size of a cotton reel, or something similar).

And a bazooka is probably the weapon that readily springs to mind.

And it gives good defensive/pressure teams like Richmond, Port Adelaide and Brisbane time to setup while we "control" the ball down back.

How can you tell if someone has you on ignore?

Nah straight from the horse's mouth.

I don't have anyone on ignore, I like reading everyone's view even if I don't agree with it.
Yeah same. Noone bothers me at all.
Wouldn't be against anyone who had me on ignore though either. I can be annoying.

Except its been a problem for a few years now. It will be a problem again if we end up with Kolo on Cameron. We often have too many tall defenders.
A problem when we lose.

Bews plays on Cameron. Kolo will get McStay.

A problem when we lose.

Bews plays on Cameron. Kolo will get McStay.
And a problem when we win. Kolo has been a weak link for a while and of all the players who might get exposed this weekend its him and Henry top of the list.

Bews plays on Cameron, but during play swaps happen or we wouldn't have seen Motlop at times play off Kolo.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And a problem when we win. Kolo has been a weak link for a while and of all the players who might get exposed this weekend its him and Henry top of the list.

Bews plays on Cameron, but during play swaps happen or we wouldn't have seen Motlop at times play off Kolo.
If our biggest problem is the guy that kept De Goey to 0 goals I’m pretty comfortable.

Yeah yeah: “but but but the ball never got down there”.

I'm a bit surprised at the Kolo criticism regarding the Collingwood match. I thought he accounted for himself pretty well. He, like a number of team mates made the odd skill error when the game was dead and buried.

He was good in the West Coast semi and nullified Riewoldt in the prelim. Don't think his direct opponent got off the leash against Port either. I've hardly been his biggest supporter and he had a so so season but his last 4 finals (collectively) have been fine. Much better than the few before that, which is all you can ask for.

Kolo is our most underrated player, for a guy who regularly keeps his man quiet he gets very little love from most of the fanbase and I have NFI why.

Guarantee the doubters that in the eyes of the MC he is a lock, because most weeks he does his job.

Did you watch the actual game?

Collingwood's pressure was as good as Essendon's was when we played them I don't care what your ratings say, watch the actual game mate.
His point is that any teams pressure reduces when the ball is simply not in dispute. If the cats players keep possession for a huge majority of the game, then pressure is no longer a factor.

You’re saying we played well because Collingwood brought no pressure. I’m saying Collingwood’s inability to pressure is a direct outcome of our game.

His point is that any teams pressure reduces when the ball is simply not in dispute. If the cats players keep possession for a huge majority of the game, then pressure is no longer a factor.

You’re saying we played well because Collingwood brought no pressure. I’m saying Collingwood’s inability to pressure is a direct outcome of our game.
We tried to play slow, controlling football against Richmond and it backfired because it allowed them to setup defensively and not only their physical pressure but perceived pressure undid us when we tried to go forward, hence 1 goal in 3 quarters.

Collingwood's lack of pressure allowed us to move the ball with relative ease, just like the Essendon game.

We were good enough to capitalise but I am yet to see this 'controlled' ball movement win a big final against a high pressure team, which is what we'll come up against this Saturday night and hopefully beyond.

I don't know what else I can say to get my point across.

We tried to play slow, controlling football against Richmond and it backfired because it allowed them to setup defensively and not only their physical pressure but perceived pressure undid us when we tried to go forward, hence 1 goal in 3 quarters.

Collingwood's lack of pressure allowed us to move the ball with relative ease, just like the Essendon game.

We were good enough to capitalise but I am yet to see this 'controlled' ball movement win a big final against a high pressure team, which is what we'll come up against this Saturday night and hopefully beyond.

The pressure from Coll in the first 1/4 was good though and even up till Danger went berserk in the second it was still high it is just that we broke them after Danger kicked his second.

After Dangers second they lost hope and the pressure went out of the game

Yes and the replay.

The 1st Q was a genuine arm wrestle. The pies were up and about, and we dismantled them. Look at the Q by Q pressure numbers and you can see that. We got the early goal in the 2nd and took the momentum right away and they lowered their heads. Game over.

This is what our coach does - in a previous generation, he would have been an explosives engineer, keeping calm, the small bead of sweat running off the brylcream the only sign of nerves, as he faced the possible end.

Each week, it's a different opposition and sometimes - BOOM! - it goes off.

So far, we've been lucky, with only a few casualties - but we've seen the expertise enough this year to have the trust we'll live two more weeks and share in the joy of victory.

Sorry disagree, doesn't mean we didn't play well as our ball movement was quicker regardless.
It was. They really played it to perfection. Brave kicks into the centre to open the field up, quick handballs, tap ons etc. Only slowed the play up and chipped around when it was absolutely necessary. Waiting for an option to open up. The movement of players up the field must have been very good too, cause our players always seemed to find space. I guess that relies on gut running and hard work. It’s not just the guy with the ball. His targets need to get on the bike to get free.

I really hope they learnt a lot from the way we played. And repeat it this week.

It was. They really played it to perfection. Brave kicks into the centre to open the field up, quick handballs, tap ons etc. Only slowed the play up and chipped around when it was absolutely necessary. Waiting for an option to open up. The movement of players up the field must have been very good too, cause our players always seemed to find space. I guess that relies on gut running and hard work. It’s not just the guy with the ball. His targets need to get on the bike to get free.

I really hope they learnt a lot from the way we played. And repeat it this week.

There was a great example of this in the third quarter, when we were clearly trying to just take all the sting out of the game and retain possession.

We had the ball at half-back on the broadcast side of the ground. No options were opening up to bring the ball forward from that location. So Guthrie stepped past a few players and presented another lead to allow the ball to come up onto the wing without risk of a turnover. Took some gut running and a repeat effort, but transferred the ball 25 metres further forward and into a position where plenty more options for where to go next opened up.

This won't be as easy against really drilled and hungry opposition, I know. But it was a reminder that you can retain possession and work through a zone with a willingness to run, work and present, in preference to just sticking your hand in the air and inviting the 'nothing' kick up the line.

Yes, definitely, we broke down when we faced Richmond's zone, positioning and attack on the ball in dispute.

Execution was the key, or lack of execution.

When we execute well (and quickly), make good decisions, then we control the ball better. This sometimes hasn't worked, because 1) we havent executed well and 2) the opposition have trapped us with their effective zone.

I am looking forward to seeing how the Cats can handle teams who are well drilled and bring the 'pressure' through their excellent gamestyle.

Sure, so much as they are able to cover us. Also forces them to run around like mother F***ers, and tire themselves out terribly. Games always ebb and flow. I was really impressed with how we slowed everything down in the 3rd quarter on saturday. We didn't need to score to beat them. We just needed to rob them of time to catch up.

Of course you use a strategy too much and at the wrong times, and we'll be made to look silly. We controlled the collingwood game from go to woe on Saturday and part of that was mixing up our approach to suit the moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back