Oppo Camp Non Geelong football (AFL) discussion 2022, part II

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
5 weeks?

When was the last big suspension like that!

Gaff?

Not sure they even asked for 5 weeks for Dangerfield when he bumped Jake Kelly back in round 1 2001 - Dangerfield broke his nose & concussed Kelly, but it was only 4 weeks

Biggest thing with Caminiti compared with a lot of recent cases - he's was well off the ball & was initially classed as intentional, while majority of MRO charges seems to be classed as careless

Anthony Caminiti's charge has been downgraded to 'Careless' conduct.

He has been suspended for three matches.

How is an elbow, thrown across the head of an opposition player standing miles away from the ball / action, graded 'careless' when it can be nothing other than 'deliberate'??

Interesting to see where / how the art of tackling goes from here.

The risk in taking a player to ground is now too high for the tackler.

Nor is pinning the arm/s.

The game is being fundamentally changed.
It will basically become either standing tackles, or run down tackles from behind like Dangers against Hawthorn.

Standing tackles will soon be a coaching directive, if not already.

I'm not sure how that works on a player running at full speed, or when the player tries to break the tackle.
Most of these "2 action tackles" seem to have a common theme where its a stationary player trying to stop the player with the ball at speed. I suspect when its two players at speed the number of these dangerous tackles drops off.

Standing tackles will soon be a coaching directive, if not already.

I'm not sure how that works on a player running at full speed, or when the player tries to break the tackle.

I think the required adjustment is in officiating. After poor decision making on behalf of a the tackler, the next largest cause of these dangerous tackles are that once the ball carrying player gets tackled, ball becomes pinned but there is no whistle. So the tackling players attempts to bring the ball carrier to the ground to prevent them from breaking the tackle. Once the tackle is completed, if the ball isn't almost immediately disposed or knocked out then the umpire should call a ball up or a free kick.

Last edited:
How is an elbow, thrown across the head of an opposition player standing miles away from the ball / action, graded 'careless' when it can be nothing other than 'deliberate'??

I tried reading through the transcript in the tweet above, but I couldn't really see how they were suggesting it was careless rather than intentional

All I could see what the young Saints player argue he was trying to push off to create seperation, that he made contact with the forearm and didn't realise he got him in the chin until he saw a replay

Not sure how any of that brings a charge down to careless though

I think the required adjustment is in officiating. After poor decision making on behalf of a the tackler, the the next largest cause of these danger is that once the player gets tackled, ball becomes pinned but there is no whistle. So the tackling players attempts to bring the ball carrier to the ground to prevent them from breaking the tackle. Once the tackle is completed, if the ball isn't almost immediately disposed or knocked out then the umpire should call a ball up or a free kick.

Agree re: officiating, but club and coach won't leave themselves vulnerable to the whim of the whistle. They'll quickly and firmly direct their players to avoid taking their opponent to ground at all costs imo.

The crashing tackle is dead, as is the bump.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I tried reading through the transcript in the tweet above, but I couldn't really see how they were suggesting it was careless rather than intentional

All I could see what the young Saints player argue he was trying to push off to create seperation, that he made contact with the forearm and didn't realise he got him in the chin until he saw a replay

Not sure how any of that brings a charge down to careless though

Why did they suddenly ignore 'the potential for serious injury' in this instance?

The head was impacted. Pure and simple.

Why did they suddenly ignore 'the potential for serious injury' in this instance?

The head was impacted. Pure and simple.

I can't work out how if an act that far off the ball isn't classified as intentional then what will be...

Surely they just scrap the intentional grading now

I can't work out how if an act that far off the ball isn't classified as intentional then what will be...

Surely they just scrap the intentional grading now

From what I understand, it was argued that he was trying to create separation and his action in pushing away wasn't meant to hit the head, but did so inadvertently......hence 'careless'

With that principle, a tackler should be able to argue that they didn't intend to impact the ground with their opponent's head, and that it did so was (careless) inadvertent.

The AFL / Tribunal dismisses that argument out of hand, citing the 'potential for serious injury'. (see Merrett's judgement tonight) yet have no hesitation accepting it in an incident well off the ball that DID impact the head. There was no 'potential'.....it happened

No wonder the players are confused.

Apparently he "slipped"...it appears this "defence" led to the downgrading of the action.

I thought 4 weeks at a minimum so he's a lucky boy...He now has 3 weeks to think it over.

Interesting to see where / how the art of tackling goes from here.

The risk in taking a player to ground is now too high for the tackler.

Nor is pinning the arm/s.

The game is being fundamentally changed.
yes, the tackled player will not go down willingly and will struggle. What can the tackler do and not get cited? Where is the duty of care of the tackled player to protect himself? Does the tackler just let him slip away rather that muscle him to the ground and risk a free or worse.
The umps will have to whistle way early to correct this and of course open up all sorts of crap consequences.

It's going to be a s**t show of grey area for while I'm afraid.

yes, the tackled player will not go down willingly and will struggle. What can the tackler do and not get cited? Where is the duty of care of the tackled player to protect himself? Does the tackler just let him slip away rather that muscle him to the ground and risk a free or worse.
The umps will have to whistle way early to correct this and of course open up all sorts of crap consequences.

It's going to be a s**t show of grey area for while I'm afraid.
Just for argument's sake, let's say that all "holding" was a free kick? A good tackle was one that wins the ball or dispossesses the player of the ball, but you must do so without holding. Stripping the player of the ball, knocking it out of their hands, forcing an incorrect disposal etc.
You would get a lot less stoppages, encourage ball players with better skill execution, and less dangerous situations in tackles.
It would be a relatively small change to the rules (since holding is already disallowed in all situations other than tackles) but of course probably a significant change to the way the game is played.
In all honesty there has to be a big change to the way the game is played. Doesn't have to be to the detriment of the game. Worth having an open and honest discussion about it in any case.

I have to fill out five weeks of blind tipping tomorrow evening. I'm knackerd from work today and won't have time after work tomorrow.
Which teams are looking the most injured at the moment? I don't need a novel. Just a couple of team names would be helpful. Thanks.

From yesterday:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back