Past #1: Jack Mahony - drafted w #34 in '17 ND - delisted end '23 - 40 NM games/17 NM goals - thx Mahns

Remove this Banner Ad

2 year extensions. Standard for highly rated kids in the middle of their 1st contract.

Yes, just prudent list management. Don't want to get to the situation where a young player is out of contract at the end of next season, has a great season and we have to pay overs to keep him. Sort of what happened with Mason Wood.

2 year extensions. Standard for highly rated kids in the middle of their 1st contract.

While it’s not uncommon like you mention, for a list in a state of flux, signing up two kids, who weren’t first rounders and haven’t put their names up in lights seems unnecessary. Not saying these guys won’t make it (not at all), but just don’t see the urgency to do this.

I am aware that it’s an extension btw.

While it’s not uncommon like you mention, for a list in a state of flux, signing up two kids, who weren’t first rounders and haven’t put their names up in lights seems unnecessary. Not saying these guys won’t make it (not at all), but just don’t see the urgency to do this.

I am aware that it’s an extension btw.

Our list is no longer in a state of flux. We’ve only got a handfull left to move on. These kids are rated. They’ll be seen a a big part of the list stabilisation over the next 3-4 years.

Yes, just prudent list management. Don't want to get to the situation where a young player is out of contract at the end of next season, has a great season and we have to pay overs to keep him. Sort of what happened with Mason Wood.
unfortunately a standard contract was overs for wood.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That’s how you do it Ben Brown / Rama

That’s how you do it Ben Brown / Rama

Especially when both seem to have a stiffy.

Rewatched this guy's junior highlights. Jack has incredible vision, agility and he's quicker than he looked this year. He isn't fast but he's not comically slow like he appeared to be in his AFL appearances. I think if he had played less and was able to develop in the VFL he would be much more highly rated on here.

I seemed to me that fatigue played a big part in slowing him down on the field. A couple of pre-seasons will strengthen his legs and we'll see what he can do with the footy out in open space.

Why would i be a fan of any geelong player who wasnt Higgins? Im a north supporter. You are aware of that right?
I am now.

Bumped into Jack at the Flemington Craft Market last week. Ripping fella. Signed my Gray-Nicolls Dyna Drive for me. We spoke for a good 10-15 minutes. He gave me a few share tips which I have loaded right up on. I could see he loves a chat but I had other stuff to do.

Rewatched this guy's junior highlights. Jack has incredible vision, agility and he's quicker than he looked this year. He isn't fast but he's not comically slow like he appeared to be in his AFL appearances. I think if he had played less and was able to develop in the VFL he would be much more highly rated on here.

I seemed to me that fatigue played a big part in slowing him down on the field. A couple of pre-seasons will strengthen his legs and we'll see what he can do with the footy out in open space.
In terms of his pace, I think it might be a case of where he had enough speed in junior footy, but when he got to the AFL, what was quick in junior footy was probably the baseline of what he was playing against, especially when you consider that half-back is probably where some of the quickest players for each team are.

Very natural footballer though. The big question, obviously, is whether his natural football traits can develop to a point where they totally compensate for his physical limitations, which are always going to be there.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back