Past James Rose - delisted 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Gn3Myg9.jpg

I like him to a mini Heeney (as a forward). Great hands for his size powerful leap and naturally evasive. When he fills out could be as good as Heeney is now

There is not much former Brownlow medallist Gavin Wanganeen has not seen in the game, so it takes something special to impress him. Sydney's next debutant James Rose has already done just that.

Rose, then a year 10 student in Scotch College's first 18 team in Adelaide, had won possession deep in a forward pocket, and using his powers of evasion turned his opponent inside out and goaled with his non-preferred foot.

A stunned Wanganeen, his jaw dropping, turned towards his assistant: "Gee, I thought only I could do this s**t."

At 185cm and 79kg, there is not much to the blond-haired Rose, but he has a decent bag of tricks, as Wanganeen saw last year.

Rose describes himself as "pretty evasive" and a "hard runner". Radbone, formerly listed with Essendon but who never played a premiership match, believes he can blossom into a hybrid of Hawthorn's Jack Gunston and Essendon's Dyson Heppell.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...-afl-debut-20150821-gj4x6z.html#ixzz3jWujBKVb

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was hoping to see a variety of elements to his game (never seen him before). Didn't think there would be time. But amazingly, he managed to squeeze some great evasions in a contest, good hands, a strong contested mark, led to the correct spot pretty well, and he even showed goal sense in a scrap with that snap in traffic.

Nice demo reel.

His hands were a bit of a washing machine prior to the drop in that shot from 50m. But the fact he didn't blink at trying the distance suggests he has a long kick.

I was hoping to see a variety of elements to his game (never seen him before). Didn't think there would be time. But amazingly, he managed to squeeze some great evasions in a contest, good hands, a strong contested mark, led to the correct spot pretty well, and he even showed goal sense in a scrap with that snap in traffic.

Nice demo reel.

His hands were a bit of a washing machine prior to the drop in that shot from 50m. But the fact he didn't blink at trying the distance suggests he has a long kick.
Plays with confidence which is a good thing for a forward

I love guys with long kicks, it gets me very excited.

Lance Franklin averages 0.8 goals per quarter over his current career.

Gary Ablett averaged 1.03 goals per quarter over his career.

Bob Pratt averaged 1.07 goals per quarter over his career.

Tony Lockett averaged 1.2 goals per quarter over his career.

John Coleman averaged 1.36 goals per quarter over his career.

James Rose averages 3 goals per quarter over his current career.

Do I need to explain more?

In all seriousness it was an fantastic effort first up, really hope he starts next weeks match.

Lance Franklin averages 0.8 goals per quarter over his current career.

Gary Ablett averaged 1.03 goals per quarter over his career.

Bob Pratt averaged 1.07 goals per quarter over his career.

Tony Lockett averaged 1.2 goals per quarter over his career.

John Coleman averaged 1.36 goals per quarter over his career.

Do I need to explain more?

In all seriousness it was an fantastic effort first up, really hope he starts next weeks match.

I thought you were building a case it was all a mirage and we had to drop him to deflate our unreasonable expectations. :p

Gary Ablett Snr averaged 1.1 goals per quarter over his career.

Both 185cm too.........(dreams)

To be fair Ablett Snr kicked 7.3 goals/game average in 1993 when he was moved to FF (at 31 yrs old). He kicked 375 goals in 3 years to win three consecutive Colemans. He kicked 27 goals in a single finals series.

When his average dropped to a mere 4.1/game Cats pushed him into retirement.

If Rose was half as good he'd be fantastic

Well I guess Reg kicked 3 goals in debut, too. So we'll wait and see before ranking Rose in a graph alongside Ablett and Lockett. :D

I'm just hoping he's more than another TDL. Certainly looks it!

One day he will take mark of the year. He is a better player than TDL. Has none of the pigeon toed run, is very athletic. TDL had the tricks but not the athleticism for AFL. he was also not a natural defensive player. Rose will chase and tackle and is almost frenetic in his attack on the ball. He has a huge desire to excel. Ask his junior coaches because that is what they all said apparently.

One day he will take mark of the year. He is a better player than TDL. Has none of the pigeon toed run, is very athletic. TDL had the tricks but not the athleticism for AFL. he was also not a natural defensive player. Rose will chase and tackle and is almost frenetic in his attack on the ball. He has a huge desire to excel. Ask his junior coaches because that is what they all said apparently.

Disagree, TDL definitely had the athleticism. He was QUICK. If anything I think it's the tricks he lacked, he was a bit of a one-trick pony, and didn't seem all that super keen on applying defensive pressure.

All a bit of a moot point though. TDL had potential, didn't live up to it, he's hardly alone in that respect. Rose might go a similar direction, he might turn into a star, he might be somewhere in between. Can only keep our fingers crossed!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back