Past #1: Majak Daw [Part II] - 54 NM games/43 NM goals - delisted end '20 - SSP selection for MFC '21 - retired mid-'22

Remove this Banner Ad

117750224_3145399202241274_5583794509753283509_n.jpg
Looks like both those blokes in front of Maj might have needed a quick change of jocks :D

Looks like both those blokes in front of Maj might have needed a quick change of jocks :D
That photo is gold - create the caption

....they never told me I would be playing against this bloke...

....I am just filling in - I dont get paid enough to stand in front of this bloke...

....farrrrkkkk its Daw...

That photo is gold - create the caption

....they never told me I would be playing against this bloke...

....I am just filling in - I dont get paid enough to stand in front of this bloke...

....farrrrkkkk its Daw...
Wow. Front row seats to the best show in town.

Apologies if this has been covered and I have missed it but can anyone please fill me in as to why Majak isn’t being played in the senior team? Everyone was thrilled to see him back, he played 2(?) games, got dropped and I haven’t seen any mention of him since. He’s not injured, is he?

Apologies if this has been covered and I have missed it but can anyone please fill me in as to why Majak isn’t being played in the senior team? Everyone was thrilled to see him back, he played 2(?) games, got dropped and I haven’t seen any mention of him since. He’s not injured, is he?

He’s certainly not injured. Been playing scratch matches. His place in the backline is gone for now, so probably fighting with Xerri for 2nd forward/ruck role. Given he’s 29 and Xerri is 21, it’s understandable Xerri is being preferred.

He’s certainly not injured. Been playing scratch matches. His place in the backline is gone for now, so probably fighting with Xerri for 2nd forward/ruck role. Given he’s 29 and Xerri is 21, it’s understandable Xerri is being preferred.

Thanks for the reply and for the info, Passmore. 👍🏻

The acurate one any ideas on Majak's 2021 status?

In a parallel world where he didn't have the extreme low of late 2018 right now he'd either have fizzled out of the AFL or really gone on with his 2018 senior form imo. Can't imagine much middle ground.

His interrupted 18 months would make it very hard to get a handle on his merits for the next couple of years imo, I don't envy the coaches and list manager's job on this one.

No doubt he is a better option than Xerri right now, and I think the club are using this block of games to see what Xerri can bring to the table. Daw's future could very well depend on how X takes to AFL level and how he progresses in the eyes of the coaching staff during and after this experience.

In a parallel world where he didn't have the extreme low of late 2018 right now he'd either have fizzled out of the AFL or really gone on with his 2018 senior form imo. Can't imagine much middle ground.

His interrupted 18 months would make it very hard to get a handle on his merits for the next couple of years imo, I don't envy the coaches and list manager's job on this one.

Hey heard nothing mate, I'd like to think once the team returns from the hub, communication will improve. Ill be asking of that you can be sure.

No doubt he is a better option than Xerri right now, and I think the club are using this block of games to see what Xerri can bring to the table. Daw's future could very well depend on how X takes to AFL level and how he progresses in the eyes of the coaching staff during and after this experience.

I think it's great we're putting games into Xerri. He's contracted so is safe 👍.

He's a much better backup ruckman than Campbell at the VERY least, surely we keep him. He can be an elite key defender if given the opportunity to play that role, and is an adequate forward if we're lacking options. Still, the way Rhyce has played him when he finally selected him and the fact that he was dropped has me worried...

He's a much better backup ruckman than Campbell at the VERY least, surely we keep him. He can be an elite key defender if given the opportunity to play that role, and is an adequate forward if we're lacking options. Still, the way Rhyce has played him when he finally selected him and the fact that he was dropped has me worried...

Worth noting Campbell is already contracted for next year too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Maj's versatility should see him get another 12 month contract imo.

I'd be delisting and paying out Campbell before moving on Maj.

The Campbell concept - a player happy to be understudy, a club happy to have a tied up senior break glass option - made perfect sense when we were expecting to be fully fledged contenders.

Suddenly when expectations and short term prospects drop, his contract becomes more of a millstone.

No disrespect to Tom as he does the ruck job well enough and comes across as a ripping bloke to have at the club, it's just a list management move that swings from good to not so good quickly as circumstances change.

I am really surprised that Maj not being on the list next year is a possibility. His versatility. His ability as a quality back man. His marketability. He can play forward. I actually love seeing him at the centre bounce. He suits our aggressive game style with his tackling. No matter what happens with others on the list I think Maj should still be there.

I am really surprised that Maj not being on the list next year is a possibility. His versatility. His ability as a quality back man. His marketability. He can play forward. I actually love seeing him at the centre bounce. He suits our aggressive game style with his tackling. No matter what happens with others on the list I think Maj should still be there.

There are not too many players who compete with Nic Nat in the ruck, kick 6 goals forward and be rated in the top 5 for intercept defenders during their career. He also rarely gets outmarked up forward which at least gives us an opportunity to compete, we just don't have any small forwards who can make the most of this, same as Larkey's contests.

Unfortunately 2018 came far too late in his career to really get him into star territory. However, if the incident didn't happen, he could have been anything by now. If we delist, he is guaranteed to be picked up.

I can't see us being a club to delist him a year after recovering from the injury he sustained. Just can't see it. We would go down as one of the most shameful organisations.
Regardless he could definitely be picked up by 17 other clubs.
We won't do it.

I can't see us being a club to delist him a year after recovering from the injury he sustained. Just can't see it. We would go down as one of the most shameful organisations.
Regardless he could definitely be picked up by 17 other clubs.
We won't do it.
Worth keeping for culture and marketability alone. Can also play the game which helps.

Not sure if he commands a spot in the 22 anymore, but his versatility could get him another 12 month contract. If lists are cut, It'll be handy.

AS a footballer, that's pretty much how I see it.

A lot of folks tend to get caught up in the entire Majak story, and I reckon that affects their view. We can't do that as a football club, and if we allow non football issues to interfere in list decision making, then it's unfair to the person who hypothetically goes on the chopping block in his place. We must choose our men based 100% on footballer value. I hope Majak & every other player on the list make that task as hard as possible for the selectors, over the remaining matches of this season. If 2020 is the end for Maj as an AFL player, then I have no doubt he will move on to bigger & better things. He seems to have matured significantly from the happy go lucky kid who arrived at Arden Street. He's a man now.

Not sure if he commands a spot in the 22 anymore, but his versatility could get him another 12 month contract. If lists are cut, It'll be handy.
Agreed.

A better option right now than Xerri and Campbell, though Walker, McKay and EVW now will settle the defence. Maj can be a back up ruck, third tall forward as long as he can work with Brown and Larkey.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back