Past #1: Majak Daw [Part II] - 54 NM games/43 NM goals - delisted end '20 - SSP selection for MFC '21 - retired mid-'22

Remove this Banner Ad

Agreed.

A better option right now than Xerri and Campbell, though Walker, McKay and EVW now will settle the defence. Maj can be a back up ruck, third tall forward as long as he can work with Brown and Larkey.

I have a lot of time for Tommy Campbell, but I don't know if Maj would have possibly gone in to the "out" tray if Tom was also not contracted.

Agreed.

A better option right now than Xerri and Campbell, though Walker, McKay and EVW now will settle the defence. Maj can be a back up ruck, third tall forward as long as he can work with Brown and Larkey.

I don't know if he fits in a forward line with Brown and Larkey. He's a short-term capable fill in in my opinion. Same as in the ruck. Down back is probably his best spot, but he's behind, Tarrant, Walker and McKay now.

Given where we are at, I'm pretty happy to see Xerri in ahead of him at the moment.

Not sure if he commands a spot in the 22 anymore, but his versatility could get him another 12 month contract. If lists are cut, It'll be handy.
Man I dont know. Those two games he played. He was pretty impressive. Not only was he doing amazing tap outs. His mobility around the ground to push forward and be the key target was pretty impressive too. Couple that with his chase down speed and physicality - we have no one in the team that height or size do that.

AS a footballer, that's pretty much how I see it.

A lot of folks tend to get caught up in the entire Majak story, and I reckon that affects their view. We can't do that as a football club, and if we allow non football issues to interfere in list decision making, then it's unfair to the person who hypothetically goes on the chopping block in his place. We must choose our men based 100% on footballer value. I hope Majak & every other player on the list make that task as hard as possible for the selectors, over the remaining matches of this season. If 2020 is the end for Maj as an AFL player, then I have no doubt he will move on to bigger & better things. He seems to have matured significantly from the happy go lucky kid who arrived at Arden Street. He's a man now.
My gut feel is he gets a 1 year contract.

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Apologies if this has been covered and I have missed it but can anyone please fill me in as to why Majak isn’t being played in the senior team? Everyone was thrilled to see him back, he played 2(?) games, got dropped and I haven’t seen any mention of him since. He’s not injured, is he?

With zero information whatsoever I don't believe there's anything too serious going on here. My gut: they want to test out players in roles where he would be the natural replacement and he's come in off a long break. He'll play again this year most likely but I suspect there's a bit of cotton wool going on to keep him fit and ready for 2021 while giving us maximum flexibility to run through Xerri, Durdin and ensure we give McKay a proper and decent run of exposure in a role he'll need to carry and develop further.

Would be interesting to see Daw back in this year and whether we'd play him forward now or experiment with McKay forward and Daw in the role he played so well down back.

My gut feel is he gets a 1 year contract.

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Probably. It will come down to whether we can trade for a better ruck option, and the depth of the list cuts that are being discussed.

Personally I think he's a good type to have on the list in the short term, but he's no priority looking to the future beyond 2022, and I would choose youngsters ahead of him if list spaces become the factor right now.

If the cut to the list size is significant, then Daw will be in trouble but I suspect that the cut will be progressively implemented over 2-3 years and hence Daw will get a one year contract.

Majak's best quality is an intangible - blokes look over their shoulder when he is around, especially in the ruck.

It's scary how good he could've been if he'd landed at Sydney or Hawthorn in 2009. Would probably have terrified the competition for the last 10 years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Must keep. His Size, speed and agility is unmatched by anyone on our list. Other sides will snatch him in a second.

Really TPA?

I would be re-contracting both (Josh 1-2 yrs, Majak 1 yr) but Josh has been a very good mature age pickup imo.

He can do everything Walker can do.

But better.

Walker is good depth, but I’d have Maj before in a best 22.

Having both is a luxury and Walker has been a good bargain basement buy.

But better.

I agree with what you are saying here TennisPlayerAndy. I think that the difficulty is that he can do everything Walker does but he doesn't appear to be able to do it as consistently. (Even factoring for injuries). If the rest of our backline was settled and it came down to choosing between Maj and Walker then I reckon that my choice would be whether I preferred the reliability week in week out of Walker or the less reliable but more impactful abilities of Maj.

But better.

Majaks best defensive/offensive stuff is better, due to his leap factor, but Walker is more reliable and significantly better when it comes to the team related nuances of the game, which is to be expected from a bloke who grew up playing the sport.

The age factor is also significant at their end of the age spectrum, as it can be feasibly argued that Josh has twice as long left in the game compared to Maj..

Josh is ranked 6th in the comp for overall contested marks, and 11th for that stat per game & I reckon you are selling him a little short mate.

Majak is 116th & 238th.

It's a no contest for me.

Tend to agree re Maj over Walker......but I don't think it will, or should, come down to that.
When we gave Maj an extended run in the backline he absolutely excelled. If he had've played the games tally that Walker played this year, in that position we'd all be saying we are set for KPD for years. Injuries have been Maj's problem.

Tend to agree re Maj over Walker......but I don't think it will, or should, come down to that.
When we gave Maj an extended run in the backline he absolutely excelled. If he had've played the games tally that Walker played this year, in that position we'd all be saying we are set for KPD for years. Injuries have been Maj's problem.

It probably is coming down to that. Tarrant's locked, McKay needs to be played for obvious reasons, so it's Walker v Daw for the third tall defender. Walker is a fair way in front.

Because we have a salary cap. He’s dirt cheap, good culture guy, knows he’s a backup, buys us time to develop Xerri.

Also Joyces was still in charge when he was extended.
Buys no time because he’s local league level.. WRFL second division, he’s been fleecing us for 2 years.. I cant believe we signed this spud for 3 years

Last edited:
How about we just keep both Josh Walker and Maj.
With current list numbers, you can essentially have 2 players for each position on the field, but if the list is going to get reduced we need flexibility in positions more than ever.
Both players are capable of playing multiple positions.
Walker is nothing more than decent back up. Its a s**t year for us, injuries etc. Walker < Majak .. Even at Majaks current level, he has some way to go to get back to that 2018 best..

Remove this Banner Ad

Back