Past #1: Majak Daw [Part II] - 54 NM games/43 NM goals - delisted end '20 - SSP selection for MFC '21 - retired mid-'22

Remove this Banner Ad

It definitely is a thing in my experience. Whenever I have a good few weeks in a row, I feel an impending sense of doom approaching and that everything is going to blow up in my face. For me it is a self-fulfilling prophecy, it is different for others as that is the nature of mental health.

If you look at happiness stats, people in developing countries are generally more ‘happier’ than those that have more in developed countries. We’ve lost something in western society, whether it be empathy or a supportive community or that wealth and success cannot fill a particular void. Apologies for the politics remarks, but if we cannot talk about wider community support and empathy now, when can we?

FWIW I don't think you need to apologise for a sensitive, intelligent and compassionate comment.

The Australian is reporting that he had a fight with his girlfriend then mixed a concoction of Stillnox and Melatonin before jumping in the car....

What exactly does reporting this junk achieve? Making out as if he is some sort of druggy. Many people the world over to medicatition in order to help them sleep.
I don't know if its making him out to be some sort of druggie. They are prescription drugs, sleeping drugs in particular are widespread and particularly in the AFL community are highly prescripted due to the amounts of caffeine they take.

There are some links with sleeping medication and suicides.

I don't know if its making him out to be some sort of druggie. They are prescription drugs, sleeping drugs in particular are widespread and particularly in the AFL community are highly prescripted due to the amounts of caffeine they take.

There are some links with sleeping medication and suicides.

I’m surprised they prescribe them stillnox. In my ill spent youth we’d take them to get wasted. They can really * you up.

I’m not at all suggesting at all that’s what Maj was doing. Just surprised that’s all.

I’m guessing that article would’ve been approved by people close to Majak. There’s no hiding from this. There’s been a lot of chatter about what happened so hopefully this stops a lot of the bullshit.

I hope you are right about that.

It doesn't make him seem like a druggie btw. Those things are medications not recreational drugs.

Melatonin is a strong thing (even tho we produce ourselves as we prepare to sleep,) but taking it can contribute to depression. Stilnox has some effects as well that have been well publicised and a wide range of potential side effects and interactions. If you're on both these drugs then make sure you have people around you who you can trust.

Amongst all the commentary i have heard and read over the last 24 hours, the one voice that stands out like an absolute beacon in the pitch dark is that of Wayne Schwass, tells it like it is, and pulls no punches, love ya Swatta :thumbsu:

Hear, hear. Really comes across as incredibly articulate and erudite in such matters. I also love how he gets introduced as 'North Melbourne premiership player'...

It's clear that the public persona of Majak and the private persona were in very different places, and whilst I don't pretend to be any sort of authority on psychological crisis matters, I would suspect that Maj will withdraw from public life as he moves forward. He must have been living a very surreal existence when you weigh up where he came from across the other side of the planet to his rise to prominence and celebrity on this side of the world, and I can imagine how this would lead to him becoming a very confused young bloke.

FWIW, I hope no one seeks to make him a poster boy for anything from now on, and that he can recede back in to some type of "normality" in peace and gain the grounding that he clearly needs in order to move on with his life.

Was thinking about this aspect too. There really aren't too many all-rounders who come along in football in a marketing sense so Majak has been a godsend for those wanting someone to publicly align their message with.

He has a combination of electric talent, intelligence, looks and likeability/charisma plus his status straddling 2 cultures that has given him a profile way larger than any other 9-10 season 50 gamer in history or other South Sudanese descended player for that matter.

People are drawn to Majak. Papers, media team and community causes all recognised it early so as a result he's been in demand from day dot.

All this might've actually had nought to do with what occurred. But I agree that it would probably be for the best if all parties with an interest in his public profile leave him alone to concentrate on being a healthy man. And nothing more.

I hope you are right about that.

It doesn't make him seem like a druggie btw. Those things are medications not recreational drugs.

Melatonin is a strong thing (even tho we produce ourselves as we prepare to sleep,) but taking it can contribute to depression. Stilnox has some effects as well that have been well publicised and a wide range of potential side effects and interactions. If you're on both these drugs then make sure you have people around you who you can trust.

I hope I’m right too. The article doesn’t make him sound like a druggie at all.

All the papers are going with the story now. There was a shocking tweet put out by the Herald Sun with a picture of Maj and the Bolte in the background.

it's a really tough one. I would just go with "Maj injuried his hip during pre-season so we just need to wish him well and hope he makes a full recovery". It's a tough one because the young one's wouldn't be able to wrap their head around all of it. There are probably experts in here that would have better advice.
Two weeks?

I've been thinking about this. Maybe it's a case of "everything that was supposed to make me happy is now happening - good year on field, stable partner, etc, - but I still don't feel happy. What's wrong with me?"

I've been fortunate not to have been impacted by mental illness much. Perhaps someone with closer experience of it can say if that's a thing?
Absolutely a thing. You get everything you’ve wanted or worked towards and you still aren’t happy. Then it becomes “what’s wrong with me? Will I ever feel happy?”. It’s one reason postnatal depression and anxiety are so awful - lots of women try for and long to have a baby, then have one and feel like s**t and then the guilt sets in.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Australian is reporting that he had a fight with his girlfriend then mixed a concoction of Stillnox and Melatonin before jumping in the car....

What exactly does reporting this junk achieve? Making out as if he is some sort of druggy. Many people the world over to medicatition in order to help them sleep.
All above board prescription drug and something I am pretty sure Swisse sells that induce sleep so no point reporting that at all. I have never heard of a case of someone getting sad on sleeping pills. Only trying to induce suicide with them ala Heath Ledger.

But trying to brand him an addict for legal above board s**t is basically the same as saying that Joesf Mengele took an asprin each morning so he must be a drug addict.

Sad he attempted it. Even sadder he was driven to it. I hope this gets the AFL community to start getting back involved with Beyond Blue and Helpline. Maybe even have a Men's Health Round were they promote some of the biggest killers to men, mental health and prostate cancer.

Last edited:
Absolutely a thing. You get everything you’ve wanted or worked towards and you still aren’t happy. Then it becomes “what’s wrong with me? Will I ever feel happy?”. It’s one reason postnatal depression and anxiety are so awful - lots of women try for and long to have a baby, then have one and feel like s**t and then the guilt sets in.
Probably the most unspoken about mental illness in our society. It’s unbelievable how many new mums go through it.

It’s one reason postnatal depression and anxiety are so awful - lots of women try for and long to have a baby, then have one and feel like s**t and then the guilt sets in.
Postnatal depression can be hell for husbands/partners as well. No doubt the cause for many divorces.

A bit late here but just wanted to say that I hope the big fella gets better soon and has a long, fulfilling life ahead of him.

Despite being a Pies man, I live in Hobart and as a massive fan of AFL in general I go to every North game at Blundstone. Majak is one of my favourite players to watch, and seems like a nice guy too.

I hope you guys are holding up well with the news as well. I remember non-Pies supporters showing their respect and class when Fasolo revealed his battles last year.

Always awful to hear of stuff like this - I know the footy world is rallying behind him and the club. Take care.

It does mention that he was dealing with this throughout the year and the club was involved. This is good, would hate to have heard we missed the whole thing even though I am sure there will be better ways to deal with it as outcomes after the fact.

Also the fact he had tried self harm before, apparently, means that this was a build up of many things and makes it even sadder in some ways.

Regarding the media, when a mental health advocate and former player uses the "attempted suicide" phrase, I am not sure you can be too critical of the papers. We all knew what this was but they did hold fire until the discussion progressed.

Still barely have my head wrapped around this, what a shocking time it must be for Maj and his family, coupled with the overwhelming relief that he’s still with us.

Mental health is paramount in life, and the silver lining to tragedies such as these is the awareness and remedies they promote, and the stigma that is slowly being eroded.

Love, respect, and all the best wishes to Majak and his family.

This man was a Shinboner for life, a long time ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reading that article by Chip Le Grand, I have no doubt he is trying to help raise awareness and discussion. If the detail is true, then someone close to Majak has shared it, so maybe there are some good motives. But the family through the club has simply asked for privacy so I can’t accept that media coverage - no matter how sensitive it tries to be - is a good idea right now. If you are the person at the centre or their close friends and family, it must feel like a wall of intrusion, from “nice” articles to cameras camped at the hospital, that you don’t want or need.

Media can talk to experts and talk to Schwatta and add to a healthy discussion of the issues without - right now - chasing Majak’s story. Please. I love him as a fan but I don’t have a right to ot an interest in knowing anything now. Leave him alone.

Has anyone even taken that stilnox s**t? I remember it was all over the news years ago about people sleepwalking and having all sorts of issues like hallucinations. Mix that with melatonin and you are in no mans land. All speculation currently but it could have been an accident due to being out of his mind.

Been real flat all day, I really feel for Maj and his family right now.

Just want to say it's real heartening to have this communion with each other here, even if we don't know each other in person.

Sometimes kind words can get someone through the day, and it's really good to see this board, this club and even oppo supporters here show some solidarity on what is a bad day for the club and practically one of the worst days of someone's life

mate, this is a very valid point and i know how you feel.
the Adelaide BF board got many of us through Phil's death in July 2015 - reading everyone's posts and support and sharing of what they were going through was what eventually pulled me up out of two days of personal numbness.

hopefully Maj reads this thread one day and feels the genuine love and sense of community too.

mate, this is a very valid point and i know how you feel.
the Adelaide BF board got many of us through Phil's death in July 2015 - reading everyone's posts and support and sharing of what they were going through was what eventually pulled me up out of two days of personal numbness.

hopefully Maj reads this thread one day and feels the genuine love and sense of community too.
Your club has been through a lot of unfair s**t over the decade and kudos for never really losing your way.

Great work. Depression is a common theme in my family. I regularly discuss the issue with my high achieving only child (daughter). Discussions focus on the amount of help available and how situations that seem hopeless can quickly change. Thankfully she is very mature and gets it.

My thoughts and best wishes are with Majak and his family, friends, team mates and you guys.
My boy, 8, and I just had a conversation about it.

I more or less told him what happened, just tried to say if people feel bad there is always someone to talk to, and talking is always the best.

No idea if it was the right thing, I just winged it a bit and tried to pitch it to his level

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Postnatal depression can be hell for husbands/partners as well. No doubt the cause for many divorces.

We’ve got a 10 week old Bub atm. It’s a ******* hard slog for both parents, thing is there is more and more information for mums, but for dads there isn’t heaps out there.

Combine sleep deprivation, with the fact that your child actually won’t recognise or acknowledge a father until around 10-12 weeks as well as dads that go back to work and the stress load of managing everything and you can see how it creeps up

Remove this Banner Ad

Back