Player Watch #1: Nick Vlastuin

Remove this Banner Ad

The way his game has developed in traffic is ridiculous. What a marvellous selection he was all those years ago.
Interestingly I wanted Brodie Grundy big time in that draft and I don't shy away from that. However if you take someone of the ilk of Vlastuin instead it is hard to argue with the club. One premiership later and hopefully another couple in the future, well what can I say?

Grundy vs Vlas is not clear cut.

As much as Grundy is a star, Vlas is amazing. Which is saying that IMHO Vlas is pretty close in impact to a guy that I reckon should be a Brownlow contender.

Defenders never get the accolades. But Nick Vlastuin is awesome.

As much as Grundy is a star, Vlas is amazing. Which is saying that IMHO Vlas is pretty close in impact to a guy that I reckon should be a Brownlow contender.

the media made some Luke Hodge comparisons

which is well deserved by the mighty red swamp German

As much as I like Vlas I would take Grundy now!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So would I probably - I said I'd have Grundy as Brownlow worthy(ish).

But Vlas is very very good. It's not a choice between Buddy and Tambo. It's a choice between a super star, and a guy that is probably quality wise also a super star (very few defenders are allowed to be super stars). Ruck is a more important position and Grundy would make us almost unbeatable. But you get what you get.

So would I probably - I said I'd have Grundy as Brownlow worthy(ish).

But Vlas is very very good. It's not a choice between Buddy and Tambo. It's a choice between a super star, and a guy that is probably quality wise also a super star (very few defenders are allowed to be super stars). Ruck is a more important position and Grundy would make us almost unbeatable. But you get what you get.

grundy is soldos bitch

the media made some Luke Hodge comparisons

which is well deserved by the mighty red swamp German

Seen a few people on twitter compare him to Enright at the peak of his powers
Great comparison for mine

I love Vlas and is a super player but it’s not close. If we had Grundy we’d be on our way to a threepeat. Also if GWS had of picked him like they should of in top 3 (plowman and o’rourke, great work sos :rolleyes:) they’d have won at least 1.

Kind of like choosing between Dusty and Prestia, Prestia is a gun but Dusty is just another level.

Reckon if you did a re-draft of 2012 he’d go at 3 or 4 behind Grundy, Whitfield and maybe Macrae.

I wanted Grundy and couldn’t believe GWS let him slide with their first 3 picks. Vlaustuin is a quality pick, if you can get a 200 gamer with your first rounder it’s a big tick for recruiting.

Can’t always get the best at your pick as long as you can get a player with a top 10 pick your doing okay.

Grundy over Vlaustuin would of been nice but the salary cap now will level it out. We would of been up against it to keep Grundy now while Vlaustuin is looking like our future captain and a heart and soul player.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wanted Grundy and couldn’t believe GWS let him slide with their first 3 picks. Vlaustuin is a quality pick, if you can get a 200 gamer with your first rounder it’s a big tick for recruiting.

Can’t always get the best at your pick as long as you can get a player with a top 10 pick your doing okay.

Grundy over Vlaustuin would of been nice but the salary cap now will level it out. We would of been up against it to keep Grundy now while Vlaustuin is looking like our future captain and a heart and soul player.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I always reckoned that triple chins had summit to do with that slide by GWS on Grundy!

I love Vlas and is a super player but it’s not close. If we had Grundy we’d be on our way to a threepeat. Also if GWS had of picked him like they should of in top 3 (plowman and o’rourke, great work sos :rolleyes:) they’d have won at least 1.

Kind of like choosing between Dusty and Prestia, Prestia is a gun but Dusty is just another level.

Reckon if you did a re-draft of 2012 he’d go at 3 or 4 behind Grundy, Whitfield and maybe Macrae.

I dunno about that

Who plays in vlastuins spot for the premiership? ellis (branden / corey..), grigg? sounds like trouble

unless its a NicNat rucks are overrated. Nank has shown an average workhouse can break even on his day, even Soldo

Last edited:
Interestingly I wanted Brodie Grundy big time in that draft and I don't shy away from that. However if you take someone of the ilk of Vlastuin instead it is hard to argue with the club. One premiership later and hopefully another couple in the future, well what can I say?
So did I, but certainly happy with how it’s planned out.
Grundy is a gun obviously, but Vlastuin is our next captain and about as close to a Luke Hodge type as we could hope for.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back