Past #10: Ben Cunnington - will retire from the AFL after * game - 238 games/95+ goals/2x Syd Barker Medalist/Shinboner - thanks for everything Cunners

Remove this Banner Ad

For probably the last 20 years I’ve been one of those supporters that when I go to the footy I just get around in a club scarf but next season I’ll be at the games with a NMFC guernsey on with number 10 on the back .

And was it that clown Rendell on Trade Radio saying Cunners to *? Yeah *ing righto…..this bloke is North Melbourne.
What a great speech. Think this year we’ve really gotten to know Cunners, even prior to his diagnosis…..the club and media department were doing great things with Cunners.His interview early in the year with Heath, I think, was unreal. Special human and glad he realises how loved he is also.

That was special to watch live.
Nigel Carmody and David King did a great job last night. Very engaged, in tune with the club status and 2021 performance. They both clicked into another gear when Ben broke down. A polished performance. Well done NMFC.
100% - kudos To Nigel and Kingy.

I think everyone has summed up Cunners pretty well already above. A magnificent footballer, a fantastic role model to our emerging stars and a universally loved human.

The impact he’s having on the rest of the playing group (see TT) is incredible.. nothin but ❤️ for the great man.

And to think that we should have drafted Gary Rohan...😉

One of my favourite shinboners of all time.
If you were to look up shinboner on google Cunners head should appear.
Strong, determined, hard as nails, humble and all round beautiful and sensitive person.

You can tell that he just doesn’t care about the NMFC but he bleeds blue and white. He invests in the future of our club, he sets the bar and tone. What a role model.

I will tell my grandkids about this guy!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Its scary to think that if the 2009 draft were held today, with the increased emphasis on speed and athleticism (perceived upside of the juniors), I could seriously imagine the club missing out on Cunners for Rohan.

Club had a no DH rule back then so we would have been safe.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Been following North since 1991 and Bens in my top 5 all time favourite NMFC players.

Beautiful words last night and like his performances on the park - all heart.

Was great to see him share it in what’s been a tough couple of years for everyone and has had an extra degree of difficulty for him in the last couple of months.

Would love nothing more than to see this guy get a premiership medal in his twilight.

Such a great guy to have in our corner

Spine tingling stuff from Cunners last night. He is the living essence of all our club stands for.

While watching live I couldn’t help but hope JHF was tuning in live from Adelaide as well. If not I hope he sees a replay of Cunners’ speech.

I suspect he’d see it, soak it all in (including Jy’s comments) and he’d be all in on the whole Shinboner Spirit mantra which lies ahead for the young bloke.

We’ve been so blessed to witness Cunners’ journey as a footballer and person.

I bloody love the bloke!

I’ve followed his career since he we as under ager at Geelong in the TAC. The ultimate pure footballer if there ever was one.

Despite being 3 years older than Cunners, I seriously look up to him as both an athlete and a person. Love everything about the bloke both on and off the field. Despite his rugged/tough demeanour he is a down to earth country lad at heart that enjoys the simple things in life like family, farming and fishing. He is as shy as he is humble and despite that, he still has an incredible impact on those around him.

Every week I look forward to watching him play, and I sincerely hope we get to see him for another 100+ games.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back