Past #10: Ben Cunnington - will retire from the AFL after * game - 238 games/95+ goals/2x Syd Barker Medalist/Shinboner - thanks for everything Cunners

Remove this Banner Ad

Was the great man gelded or
And look at what that combo did in the biggest game of the year.
Cunnington is a top 5 midfielder in the league without a shadow of a doubt.

Cunner's biggest weakness is that he doesn't have the players around him that can take advantage of his stoppage work. Not that we don't have good quality now, but they are not ready or don't execute consistently.

Cunners had 35 disposals that game, (19 kicks @63.2% KE) and 444m gained.
Simpkin had 30 disposals (13 kicks @76.9%) and 178m gained.
Powell had 23 disposals (14 kicks @64.3%) and 401m gained.
Phillips had 16 disposals (9 kicks @44.4%) and 152m gained

Petracca had 23 disposals (16 kicks @56.3%) and 539m gained.
Oliver had 25 disposals (13 kicks @ 69.2%) and 438m gained.

It was really our inability to stop Fritsch and Pickett kicking easy goals that cost us that game, 6 to Fritsch and 3 to Pickett. Only 7 of their 16 goals came from goal assists, 9 of our 11 came from goal assists so we were obliterated in the defensive 50 when the ball hit the ground, don't have good smaller stoppers.

LDU didn't play that game either. Phillips will likely take a few years to get up to speed. It will be interesting to see how much Powell improves over the pre-season.

It wouldn't take a lot to turn this type of loss into a win, my major issue with Cunnington and Simpkin at the same stoppage is Jy doesn't have that explosion out of the contest, like LDU does, he is more of a shorter range distributor and I think two is one too many at the same stoppage. He had 30 disposals that game and went a total of 178m despite only have 9 contested possessions vs Cunners 20.

We won the clearances 40 vs 35, CPs was even at 136 and only had one fewer I50 (51 vs 52), but overall it was fairly even. We just wont get the benefit of clearances until we can move the ball quicker and with more purpose.

Adding LDU and JHF into that mix is going to improve things, a lot. Not sure how much in 2022, but I am excited about the potential of our midfield. We just need to get the structure right and then make sure we develop them well.

Was the great man gelded or

Cunner's biggest weakness is that he doesn't have the players around him that can take advantage of his stoppage work. Not that we don't have good quality now, but they are not ready or don't execute consistently.

Cunners had 35 disposals that game, (19 kicks @63.2% KE) and 444m gained.
Simpkin had 30 disposals (13 kicks @76.9%) and 178m gained.
Powell had 23 disposals (14 kicks @64.3%) and 401m gained.
Phillips had 16 disposals (9 kicks @44.4%) and 152m gained

Petracca had 23 disposals (16 kicks @56.3%) and 539m gained.
Oliver had 25 disposals (13 kicks @ 69.2%) and 438m gained.

It was really our inability to stop Fritsch and Pickett kicking easy goals that cost us that game, 6 to Fritsch and 3 to Pickett. Only 7 of their 16 goals came from goal assists, 9 of our 11 came from goal assists so we were obliterated in the defensive 50 when the ball hit the ground, don't have good smaller stoppers.

LDU didn't play that game either. Phillips will likely take a few years to get up to speed. It will be interesting to see how much Powell improves over the pre-season.

It wouldn't take a lot to turn this type of loss into a win, my major issue with Cunnington and Simpkin at the same stoppage is Jy doesn't have that explosion out of the contest, like LDU does, he is more of a shorter range distributor and I think two is one too many at the same stoppage. He had 30 disposals that game and went a total of 178m despite only have 9 contested possessions vs Cunners 20.

We won the clearances 40 vs 35, CPs was even at 136 and only had one fewer I50 (51 vs 52), but overall it was fairly even. We just wont get the benefit of clearances until we can move the ball quicker and with more purpose.

Adding LDU and JHF into that mix is going to improve things, a lot. Not sure how much in 2022, but I am excited about the potential of our midfield. We just need to get the structure right and then make sure we develop them well.
The burst will come from LDU, TT and JHF. If CCJ develops into an aggressive ruck then maybe we’ll be right. Maybe Xerri wil?
The 6-6-6 rule was made for someone like Petracca. I mean you wouldn’t think Oliver and Viney are blessed with leg speed but it was frightening watching them run out of the middle.
Tbh what makes it all happen is they have 2 animals in Gawn and Jackson feeding them and it’s a brutal midfield.
We’ve got them too. They just need time as you said.

The burst will come from LDU, TT and JHF. If CCJ develops into an aggressive ruck then maybe we’ll be right. Maybe Xerri wil?
The 6-6-6 rule was made for someone like Petracca. I mean you wouldn’t think Oliver and Viney are blessed with leg speed but it was frightening watching them run out of the middle.
Tbh what makes it all happen is they have 2 animals in Gawn and Jackson feeding them and it’s a brutal midfield.
We’ve got them too. They just need time as you said.

Yeah, we have the kids, we just need to develop them.

The old Scott midfield of Cunners, Jy, Anderson, Dumont, etc was too stodgy and focused around winning stoppages, but even when we dominated clearances, it rarely lead to scoring power, it was more about keeping the ball off the opposition with no real plan what to do after we won the hard ball.

Anyone who thinks Ben will ever be lured to another club needs only to see his reaction tonight to know that will never happen. What a quality person and player he is. So glad he plays for my club. You are an absolute star Ben.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What a man Ben is. We all know he hates the limelight, to display that raw emotion and unfiltered love for the club was one of the most tear jerking moments in my entire journey being a north supporter.

So proud to have someone like him at the club and we really seen him flourish this year with a bit more leadership to our young boys.

We adore you Cunners ❤

2022 brownlow goes to…..

Many tears from my end, it just goes to show that we are just one big family, he is an inspiration to everyone and to many young joeys coming through. Can’t wait to see him rip it up

Geez the pollen count must be up because my eyes are all red.
What a man!
How fortunate is Jason H-F to be coming to our club knowing that Ben Cunnington is going to give all he can to make him a champion.
Same goes for all our other young on-ballers.
Luv the bloke.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back