Past #10: Ben Cunnington - will retire from the AFL after * game - 238 games/95+ goals/2x Syd Barker Medalist/Shinboner - thanks for everything Cunners

Remove this Banner Ad

Ben calls time - last week this week

5ca872b9-aecc-4037-86bf-0d754fd8dd77.png
North Melbourne champion and much-loved fan favourite Ben Cunnington has announced his retirement from the AFL.

The two-time Syd Barker medallist will play a farewell game this week against Essendon at Marvel Stadium and will retire immediately after that match.

Cunnington gained the support of the entire AFL community when he made an inspirational return from cancer treatment late last season. He played the first eight games of 2023, bringing his overall tally to 237.

Since Round 9 he has played in the Kangaroos’ VFL team and has remained a member of the club’s leadership group.

As Shinboner No.956, Cunnington made his debut in a 12-point win over Hawthorn in Launceston in Round 5, 2010.

He went on to become one of the club’s most revered players, renowned for his toughness, calmness with the ball, and his incredible ability to fend off opponents. He will also be remembered as one of the greatest handballers the game has seen.

Cunnington’s first Syd Barker Medal came in 2014, and he followed that up with a second win in 2019, the year he was named in the All-Australian squad. He had four other runner-up placings (2015, 2017, 2018 and 2021).

He still holds the AFL record for most contested possessions in a single game with 32 against Richmond in Round 8, 2018.

After missing most of 2020 with a back injury, Cunnington was on track to have his best-ever season in 2021 when he was diagnosed with testicular cancer in July of that year. He underwent surgery to remove the tumour shortly after. He then endured a nine-week course of chemotherapy when the cancer returned four months after the initial surgery.

In one of the most emotional scenes in football, Cunnington was greeted by wife Belinda and children Xavier, Stella and Kobe in the race at Adelaide Oval as he made his return to the AFL in Round 22, 2022 after 385 days on the sidelines.

“I couldn’t be more proud of what I’ve achieved on and off the field in the 14 years at this level,” Cunnington told teammates this morning.

“From the moment the club drafted me, it was a dream come true as we were surrounded by interstate clubs on draft night. Then to walk into a club that suited my personality, and allowed me to be myself, I couldn’t have asked for a better recipe to get the best out of myself.

“I’m proud and grateful of what I’ve overcome in the past few years and for the club to give me the best chance and opportunity to play AFL footy again.

“But I felt I lost my hunger once I returned, my perspective in life was too great. Then when I fell out of the senior team, I struggled to have the motivation or drive to get back in.

“That’s when I knew it wasn’t fair on myself or you blokes that I continued on next year without being able to give my 100 per cent effort, especially when there are hungry young kids out there that would do anything for the opportunity and to help this team get better.

“To the club, thank you for the opportunity and journey for me to live out my childhood dream. It didn’t matter who was in charge at the time, but the club has always had me and my family’s best interest at heart on and off the field. It’s something I will never forget.

“This club means the world to me as I’ve almost spent half my life here. The learnings, the memories and the relationships I’ve made will last a lifetime.”

North Melbourne’s general manager of football Todd Viney paid tribute to Cunnington.

“As we know, Ben is a man of very few words but when he speaks, his teammates listen,” Viney said.

“He won the respect of the entire footy community when he came back from his cancer treatment last year and he has only added to that legacy this year.

“As a two-time Syd Barker medallist, he’ll go down as one of the greatest and most-loved players in the club’s history.

“It’s sad to see him go but it goes without saying that Ben, Belinda, Xavier, Stella and Kobe are welcome at the club any time.”

Ben Cunnington fact file
Shinboner No.956
Games: 237*
Goals: 96*
Brownlow votes: 71* career Brownlow votes
Recruited from: Cobden/Geelong U18s
Draft: Selection No.5 in the 2009 AFL Draft
AFL debut: v Hawthorn in Round 5, 2010 at York Park, Launceston
Syd Barker Medal winner in 2014 and 2019, runner-up in 2015, 2017, 2018 and 2021
All-Australian nominee in 2019
Has only worn the guernsey No.10 throughout his career
Member of the leadership group since 2020
Most disposals in a game: 39 vs West Coast in Round 19, 2018
Most goals in a game: 4 vs Western Bulldogs in Round 21, 2014
In Round 8, 2018 he broke the AFL record for the most contested possessions in a single game with 32 against Richmond, and still holds the record to this day

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was crying before this video started. He has meant so much to this club and always will. I was at his comeback game in Adelaide and in Melbourne and I will be there Saturday. There will be tears. I guarantee it. Go well Ben :blueheart:🤍

Legend. Shinboner through and through. Go well Cunners.

Who's starting the GoFundMe page for the fines he incurs when he goes the full Alistair Lynch against *?

Will be suspensions lol

It's the right move for both players, but gee... losing both Jack Ziebell and Ben Cunnington in one season is a massive loss of experience and leadership.

Thanks Cunners - you were an absolute weapon and its actually BS you never an AA.

Rest up mate and lets hope your boys will continue your legacy in a few years!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back