Past #10: Ben Cunnington - will retire from the AFL after * game - 238 games/95+ goals/2x Syd Barker Medalist/Shinboner - thanks for everything Cunners

Remove this Banner Ad

I realise you're hurting because you no longer have any basis for the vitriol you spew towards Maj - have you recovered from the trauma of seeing Maj play well? Must have been a nasty shock for you. But, to your credit, you've quickly moved onto another target.

You keep implying you have an inside connection to the club, but amazingly you don't rate a win and a second in the club B&F. Go figure.

I'm not narrow-minded enough to attribute Ben's relatively poor season to injury only, clearly he was a little off the boil with his mental preparation early in the season. I suspect he accepts that, too. I'd say that put him a little behind where he needed to be early in the season, and then injury hit and he never got back to where he needed to be.

But as an insider, I'm sure you recall that Michael Turner said that Ben was THE MOST professional preparer the Turner had ever coached. Not second or third, but THE MOST. As an insider, you probably also recall that Turner also coached players like Luke Hodge. Fair basis for comparison, I would have thought. The polar opposite of laziness, too, I would have thought.

To say that it is "everything to do with sheer laziness" just indicates that you're full of s**t

You mean like being a 16 year old kid and stopping in the middle of the night to walk in ice cold creeks to assist in recovery.

Nah, that kid doesn't have the requisite desire.

I realise you're hurting because you no longer have any basis for the vitriol you spew towards Maj - have you recovered from the trauma of seeing Maj play well? Must have been a nasty shock for you. But, to your credit, you've quickly moved onto another target.

You keep implying you have an inside connection to the club, but amazingly you don't rate a win and a second in the club B&F. Go figure.

I'm not narrow-minded enough to attribute Ben's relatively poor season to injury only, clearly he was a little off the boil with his mental preparation early in the season. I suspect he accepts that, too. I'd say that put him a little behind where he needed to be early in the season, and then injury hit and he never got back to where he needed to be.

But as an insider, I'm sure you recall that Michael Turner said that Ben was THE MOST professional preparer the Turner had ever coached. Not second or third, but THE MOST. As an insider, you probably also recall that Turner also coached players like Luke Hodge. Fair basis for comparison, I would have thought. The polar opposite of laziness, too, I would have thought.

To say that it is "everything to do with sheer laziness" just indicates that you're full of s**t

He got married last summer

Every Grumpy Old knows marriage turns you into a Wombat...

.....10kgs added in 3 months after the big date on average.

He got married last summer

Every Grumpy Old knows marriage turns you into a Wombat...

.....10kgs added in 3 months after the big date on average.

There is no doubt this has played a part in his current condition.

Who'd he marry, Donna Hay?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
I chuckled.

In al seriousness once he gets the injury sorted, his fitness base back and Swallow is no longer anywhere near the centre bounces he will back to his brilliant best.

He was excellent in 2014, pretty good in 2015 and sub-par in 2016. I expected better from him and so should you.

I think when a man loves his dog way too much, the act is called rovering.

vgX8mg.gif

I would like Cunners to show a bit of emotion one day. I reckon he could win $10mil OzLotto, walk into his bedroom & find Jennifer Hawkins in there covered in Chocolate Quik singing Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap & still not crack a smile!!!!
His lack of excitement out on the ground is bewildering. Rarely see him congratulate teammates.

From the outside, it's as if playing football is a form of punishment for Cunners.

A new coach would be the best thing for him. A few home truths may be just what he needs to awake him from his slumber.

From what I hear, his time-trialling this pre-season was no better than what it was when he first joined the club??????

I would like Cunners to show a bit of emotion one day. I reckon he could win $10mil OzLotto, walk into his bedroom & find Jennifer Hawkins in there covered in Chocolate Quik singing Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap & still not crack a smile!!!!
His lack of excitement out on the ground is bewildering. Rarely see him congratulate teammates.

From the outside, it's as if playing football is a form of punishment for Cunners.

A new coach would be the best thing for him. A few home truths may be just what he needs to awake him from his slumber.

From what I hear, his time-trialling this pre-season was no better than what it was when he first joined the club??????
Wrong account?

Cunners needs more expression level pace?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Reminds me of Greenwood, never looks happy.

Yeah I could outrun Ben10 and I'm 69 years old! :stern look

I would hate for us to trade Cunners, as I reckon his best footy is ahead of him. He is an elite talent and I believe can become an elite player. From the outside looking in, it seems like he needs to drop weight. I think it worked for Ziebs, who had his best year this year in my opinion. Ben obviously struggles with his running. He is never going to be a good runner, but I think slimming down would help his endurance - he is still gonna be strong as an ox.
I think he would thrive on responsibility - I think the club should say they want more from him next year. It isn't that he is playing badly, he's bloody good, but I really believe he has more to give.

I bloody love Cunners and I reckon he can become a 300 game player for the Roos. But I would like to see a different approach to his conditioning and the gauntlet thrown down to him to become on of the best mids in the comp.
He needs to trim down a bit though

Remove this Banner Ad

Back