oh_my_hat

Club Legend
Jun 28, 2000
one-out in the goal squar
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Dallas Cowboys, Tottenham
How many of these do you remember and what were you doing at the time when you heard the news?

http://www.vh1.com/shows/dyn/the_greatest/62202/episode.jhtml

The Plasmatics' Wendy O. Williams is arrested for simulating sex on stage. (1981)

Elvis Presley meets President Richard Nixon. (1970)

David Crosby is unveiled as the father of Melissa Etheridge's kids. (2000)

Screamin' Jay Hawkins is believed to have fathered 75 children. (2000)

Icelandic singer Björk attacks a reporter. (1996)

Gram Parsons' body is stolen and cremated by his friends. (1973)
A fan is struck by lightning at the Tibetan Freedom Concert. (1998)
Karen Carpenter dies of complications from anorexia. (1983)
A homeless man claims to be Kiss drummer Peter Criss. (1991)
Stevie Wonder goes into a coma after a car crash. (1973)
Former millionaire rapper MC Hammer declares bankruptcy. (1996)
Def Leppard's drummer, Rick Allen, loses his arm in a car crash. (1984)
Cat Stevens supports the fatwa against controversial author Salman Rushdie. (1989)
Madonna scandalizes with her "Like a Prayer" video. (1989)
Geto Boy rapper loses an eye in a fight with his girlfriend. (1991)
Whitney Houston is kicked off the Oscars. (2000)
The U.S. government tries to deport John Lennon. (1973)
Marilyn Manson becomes a priest in the Church of Satan. (1996)
Boy George reveals that he is a heroin addict. (1986)
The Who give an explosive performance on The Smothers Brothers Comedy Hour. (1967)

A Guns N' Roses concert in St. Louis ends in violence when Axl Rose attacks a fan. (1991)
Rick Wakeman performs his King Arthur concept album on ice. (1975)
Kiss' Gene Simmons burns his hair during a fire-eating stunt. (1973)
Cynthia Plastercaster makes ceramic models of rock stars' penises. (1968)
Sergeant Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band becomes a movie. (1978)
Carnie Wilson Webcasts her weight-loss operation. (1999)
Neil Young is sued by David Geffen for making "unrepresentative" music. (1983)
John Fogerty is sued by his record company for plagiarizing himself. (1985)
Puff Daddy is arrested for weapons possession. (1999)
Queen singer Freddie Mercury dies of AIDS. (1991)
The Red Hot Chili Peppers perform in their socks. (1983)
Lynyrd Skynyrd singer Ronnie Van Zant's grave is disturbed by vandals. (2000)
Bobby Darin discovers the woman he thought was his sister is his mother. (1968)
L7 throw a used tampon into an English audience. (1992)
Rap executive Suge Knight allegedly dangles Vanilla Ice out a window. (1992)
INXS singer Michael Hutchence is found dead in his hotel room. (1997)
Rolling Stone Bill Wyman marries a 19-year-old model. (1989)
Studio 54 is closed when the owners are found guilty of tax evasion. (1980)
Black Crowes flaunt female pubic hair on album cover. (1994)
A tractor-trailer hits Gloria Estefan's tour bus and Estefan breaks a vertebrae. (1990)

2 Live Crew's As Nasty as They Wanna Be is banned. (1989)
Keith Richards is discovered with heroin in Toronto. (1977)
Super-groupie Pamela Des Barres publishes her memoirs. (1987)
Sly Stone gets married at Madison Square Garden. (1974)
Jefferson Airplane's Grace Slick picks a fan's nose. (1978)
Curtis Mayfield is paralyzed by a falling lighting rig. (1990)
Boy band *NSYNC part ways with their manager. (2000)
Chuck Berry is accused of videotaping people in his restaurant's bathroom. (1989)
Iggy Pop is rushed to the hospital after cutting himself onstage. (1973)
DJs are investigated by a payola commission. (1960)
Seven gunmen try to kill Bob Marley and his wife. (1976)
Beach Boy Brian Wilson suffers a nervous breakdown. (1964)
Snoop Doggy Dogg is accused of murder. (1993)
Michael Jackson marries Lisa Marie Presley. (1994)
Gary Glitter is discovered with a horde of kiddie pr0n. (1999)
A pregnant Courtney Love is accused of taking heroin by Vanity Fair. (1992)
The Who's Keith Moon accidentally runs over his chauffeur. (1970)
The Go-Go's share sex secrets with a drunk roadie on video. (1980)
Kids tear up theater seats after hearing "Rock Around the Clock". (1955)
Public Enemy's Professor Griff makes anti-Semitic comments. (1989)

David Lee Roth offers roadies money in return for groupies. (1979)
Eminem releases the hate-laced Marshall Mathers LP. (2000)
Michael Jackson buys the Beatles song catalog. (1985)
David Bowie is photographed giving a fascist salute. (1976)
Motley Crue's Nikki Sixx is revived after OD'ing. (1987)
Charlton Heston protests Ice-T's "Cop Killer". (1992)
John Lennon and Yoko Ono appear naked on an album cover. (1968)
R&B singer Al Green becomes a reverend. (1974)
TLC's Lisa "Left Eye" Lopes burns down her boyfriend's mansion. (1994)
Jim Morrison is arrested for indecent exposure. (1969)
Rap star 2Pac is murdered in Las Vegas. (1996)
James Brown leads police on an interstate car chase. (1988)
George Michael is arrested for indecent exposure. (1998)
Tejano singing star Selena is murdered. (1995)
The Rolling Stones are arrested for drug possession. (1967)
Rick James and his girlfriend are arrested for abduction. (1991)
Parents claim Judas Priest's music made their kids try to commit suicide. (1990)
Prince changes his name into a symbol. (1993)
The Beach Boys make friends with Charles Manson. (1969)
Elvis Presley dies. (1977)

Tommy Lee and Pamela Anderson's sex video becomes public property. (1996)
Michael Jackson is burned while filming a Pepsi commercial. (1984)
Ozzy Osbourne bites the head off a dove at a record label meeting. (1981)
Led Zeppelin watch a groupie fornicate with a dead shark. (1969)
Sid Vicious is accused of murdering his girlfriend. (1978)
Frank Zappa challenges the PMRC hearings on record labeling. (1985)
Elvis Presley shakes his hips on national TV. (1956)
Jerry Lee Lewis marries his 13-year-old second cousin. (1957)
Alice Cooper's audience tears apart a chicken. (1969)
Madonna bares all in her racy Sex book. (1992)
"We're bigger than Jesus" (1966)
John Lennon had made the observation to an English journalist when asked about the future of Christianity. Although it was pretty much a statement of fact, religious leaders interpreted the remark as blasphemy, and ordered the burning of Beatles records around the country.
Sinead rips into pope (1991)
Sinead O'Connor had already started a storm of controversy by refusing to have the national anthem played before one of her concerts. When she tore up a picture of the pope on Saturday Night Live to protest the Catholic church's stance on abortion, the former "Nothing Compares 2 U" chart-topper became a pariah.
Woodstock '99 (1999)
While the first festival was three days of peace, love, and music, this edition had Limp Bizkit. Never ones to shy away from a little mudslinging, they urged the audience to go nuts during the raucous anthem "Break Stuff." They complied. Then the Red Hot Chili Peppers played "Fire." It took over a month to clean up the wreckage.
Milli Vanilli can't sing (1990)
They had been dismissed as pretty faces, but that didn't prevent single after single from climbing the charts. Their reign came to a messy end when their producer revealed that other people had done the singing, and Milli Vanilli were forced to return their Grammy Awards.
Fans killed at Who show (1979)
Keith Moon had died, but the Who vowed to carry on with the addition of Kenny Jones. However, their American tour was marred by tragedy when a stampede to claim unreserved seats at Cincinnati's Riverfront Coliseum left 11 concertgoers fatally trampled.
Marvin Gaye is murdered (1984)
Marvin Gaye had always wavered between the claims of his faith and his body's appetite for both sex and narcotics. After a period in the wilderness, he had made a decisive comeback with "Sexual Healing." But an argument with his father ended in his being shot dead.
Kurt Cobain commits suicide (1994)
The Nirvana frontman seemed like a star with lots still left to say, but he felt suffocated by the band's fame and believed his best days were behind him. After a number of drug overdoses and other warning signs, he brought his life to a sudden end with the tug of a shotgun's trigger. Shocked fans were left to pick up the pieces.
Murder at Altamont (1969)
The Rolling Stones meant for their free festival outside San Francisco to be the ultimate expression of '60s harmony. However, a mix of bad organization and Hell's Angels brought Mick Jagger's worst-ever show to a violent end.
MJ accused of sexual abuse (1993)
For years Michael Jackson's fondness for the company of tykes like Macaulay Culkin and Emmanuel Lewis seemed to be an eccentricity befitting the world's biggest pop star. However, all it took was the accusations of an angry parent and an out-of-court settlement to taint Jackson's reputation.
John Lennon is murdered (1980)
Rather like hearing the Space Shuttle had just exploded or that Pearl Harbor had been bombed, this was just one of those stories that seemed too outlandish to believe. Who would want to kill John Lennon, the leader of the Beatles, as he prepared to emerge from bread-baking retirement?

Murder at Altamont (1969)
The Rolling Stones meant for their free festival outside San Francisco to be the ultimate expression of '60s harmony. However, a mix of bad organization and Hell's Angels brought Mick Jagger's worst-ever show to a violent end.

this is one of those rock n roll ideas that was never going to end well.

IIRC the stones were ****ed off at not being invited to play at woodstock so they held their own concert but decided they would get the hells angels to be the bouncers. to top it off they paid them in beer. on of the guys that was killed actually was being filmed at the time.

What about the death of 3 Smashing Pumpkins fans in Dublin?

Or Rage Against the Machine appearing on stage naked bar for gaffer tape and standing in silence for 45 minutes in protest?

Or the Sex Pistols swearing on UK TV leading to an explosion in punk rock?

Originally posted by Mobbenfuhrer
Enough whingeing about what didn't make the list!

I wanna whinge about what did.

Get me this video forthwith.

Easy there, big fella. From all reports, it's a dud. There's no action (dammit). If you are really curious and have a heap of disposable income, Polyester Books in Brunswick St have got copies.

Originally posted by GOALden Hawk

Or the Sex Pistols swearing on UK TV leading to an explosion in punk rock?

Beat me to it GH this is one of the top twenty R&R moments without a doubt. Well it's certainly more shocking (in an R&R sense) than some pulp by Madonna ,or Tommy Lee (WHO???;) )
and a bimbo on video.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Or Rage Against the Machine appearing on stage naked bar for gaffer tape and standing in silence for 45 minutes in protest?
Haven't heard that one. What were they protesting about?
Was there anyone left in the crowd and did they find the remains of the bands bodies.
Honestly is this true??
On stage without saying a word for 45 minutes???????

Originally posted by Angus1
Was there anyone left in the crowd and did they find the remains of the bands bodies.
Honestly is this true??

Their best concert ever apparently. I have it on tape. It's still wrapped in the cellophane it came in.

Seems we're also missing a couple that I consider to be important moments :

A. Suze de Marchi (sp?) punching out the lead singer of the Black Crowes because he told her that you need balls to play rock and roll.

B. Umm ... Bon Scott's death, anyone? I didn't see that listed.

C. The bloke from EMF bagging Robert Smith, and then Smith seeing him at a function and placing him against a wall, and the EMF bloke bursting into tears :D

D. "Girls On Film" the video.

Now:

Kev: if you happen to get the go-gos vid, please forward. I dont carte if its a dud, those girls still get me hot.

Where did this compilation come from?
If it's British, I find it hard to believe that Pulp frontman Jarvis ****er's march onto the stage at the British Music Awards to bag Michael Jackson didnt get on the list.

Now to things on the list:
I clearly have a memeory of big ol' Charlton, who loves his guns needless to say, bagging out on Bodycount's (Ice T's rock project) Copkiller. I still have a dubbed copy of the Bodycount album, complete with Copkiller which was dubbed b4 the album was removed from the shelves.

Apart from that - there's not much else i'm overly committed to commenting on.
However, it is a mighty fine list - and that is why I cant offer anything else, cos I could be here all night.

Honestly is this true??

I'll try and find the article at home, was in a rock mag I had (may have been Rolling Stone?).

It was at one of the big US festivals, and RAGM were protesting about something as usual (globalisation, someone getting imprisoned, I can't really remember). The crowd thought it was amusing for a few minutes and then almost rioted, throwing stuff at the band (who refused to move).

If not one of the most shocking moments in rock, certainly one of the most bizaare.

There are some really unbeliavable moments in that list - mixed in with quite a few moments that most probably didn't even realized had happened.

But I find Ironic that Woodstock '99 get in the top 10 on the list, while the Original woodstock couldn't even make the list.

Also the death of Jimi should've been in there somewhere.

And the release of Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds ??

Although I was only born in 1984, I'm pretty sure those were fairly big events.

I also noticed there was nothing after 2000 on there.

"Parents claim Judas Priest's music made their kids try to commit suicide. (1990)"

That also happened to Ozzy Osbourne. He was taken to court because parents believed their son killed himself because of listening to "Suicide Solution."

Bon Scott drowning in his own vomit was a huge shock to Australian Rock n Roll fans.
I still prefer the early years of AC/DC with Bon Scott on vocal. (I'm just an old rocker I guess:cool: )

Originally posted by Black Thunder
Also the death of Jimi should've been in there somewhere.

Certainly that, within the context that Jimi, Jim Morrison and Janis Joplin all passing on within months of each other, if I recall my rock history correctly, that's something that should have been mentioned.

I don't think that in the late 1960s-early '70s, you could have mentioned the passing of any one of those icons without the others.

Bon Scott drowning in his own vomit was a huge shock to Australian Rock n Roll fans.
Well we assume it was his own vomit. We're not sure but it would be pretty disgusting if it was someone else's - This is Spinal Tap
not the exact quote but you get the gist

Originally posted by oh_my_hat
Led Zeppelin watch a groupie fornicate with a dead shark. (1969)
Who watched who with a what now?:eek:

Originally posted by oh_my_hat

The Beach Boys make friends with Charles Manson. (1969)

Kind of incorrect. Charles Manson befriended Dennis Wilson, lived in his house and stuff and recorded some songs produced by Beach Boys, however the rest of the group were in no way associated with Manson. And when Dennis realised Manson was such a fruit loop he let the 'family' have his house and all, and moved on.

The Beach Boys did record a Manson-penned song "cease to exist", changed some lyrics and it appears as 'Never Learn Not To Love' on their 1969 '20/20' album.

Nit-picking I know, but you all knew I'd jump on it. :D

I'll try and find the article at home, was in a rock mag I had (may have been Rolling Stone?).

It was at one of the big US festivals, and RAGM were protesting about something as usual (globalisation, someone getting imprisoned, I can't really remember). The crowd thought it was amusing for a few minutes and then almost rioted, throwing stuff at the band (who refused to move).

If not one of the most shocking moments in rock, certainly one of the most bizaare.

I think it had something to do with Censorship this time, I'm fairly sure the band played a free concert the next day to make it upto fans who missed out on seeing them perform due to the protest.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back