AFL Player #12: Will Setterfield - Out for +/- 2 weeks with a knee - 7/5

Remove this Banner Ad

Finished this year with a bang, hopefully it’s onward and upward from here.

If he can really sink his teeth into the defensive pivot role he will become undroppable very quickly and everyone around him will immediately get better as well.

Was this VFL?
No, he was very good against the Pies and Melbourne. Also very, very good against GWS the second time we played them. Have a look at his player highlights that game against GWS. That's the sort of player he could be.

Nothing wrong with Setters, just not as good as Cripps, Hewett or Kennedy - fully expect him to play next year and be decent for you guys.

No, it was against Melbourne and Collingwood in must win games. He was really good in both games, arguably career best.

No, he was very good against the Pies and Melbourne. Also very, very good against GWS the second time we played them. Have a look at his player highlights that game against GWS. That's the sort of player he could be.

Nothing wrong with Setters, just not as good as Cripps, Hewett or Kennedy - fully expect him to play next year and be decent for you guys.

Might fire up Kayo!

I like this recruitment for many of the same reasons as others.
Presuming he trains well enough to be selected for R1, how he fits into the 22 will be interesting. Not sure who goes out to make way.

Should lift his game to a new level in the red and black, I felt physically ill the first time I had to play footy in a collingwood jumper and I’m sure wearing the navy blue was a little soul crushing for Will

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This reminds me of when Keays was traded to Adelaide. Many people thought that was a bad move too. It just shows if you play a bloke in his correct position he can become a very good player. The comparison is very close.
And it actually looks like Scott will play him in his rightful position.

And it actually looks like Scott will play him in his rightful position.
This 👍.

The trade only works if he is used in his best position as an inside mid. He doesn't need to do anything flashy, leave that to your Merretts, Shiel's Martins, Perkins' etc... just needs to play his role. Defend, extract, protect and support.

Last edited:
Averaged 19.3 touches per game last season - adjusted for sub impacted games - but was certainly squeezed out of the midfield rotation by other players. Best season was clearly 2020 when he played more of an inside role.

With Essendon having one of the smallest - and quite frankly mediocre - midfields running around there is a huge opportunity for Setterfield if he can take it.

In all likelihood he won't move the needle but given the cost involved I think it's worth a try. Pray for a Will Brodie type turnaround.

Andrew Phillips.

GWS --> Carlton --> Essendon.

Will Setterfield.

GWS --> Carlton --> Essendon.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back