AFL Player #12: Will Setterfield - Out for +/- 2 weeks with a knee - 7/5

Remove this Banner Ad

I have come around a little on this one….many Carlton supporters seem to think he’s quite decent, just not as good as the blokes ahead of him (who rate from very good to Champion).

It’s a free kick and he has a frame that looks like it could carry 90kg easily enough….it’s a reasonable enough roll of the dice I guess.

Needs to talk to Langford and get in on that plan to become Nat Fyfe
Transforming Dragon Ball Z GIF by Funimation

I have come around a little on this one….many Carlton supporters seem to think he’s quite decent, just not as good as the blokes ahead of him (who rate from very good to Champion).

It’s a free kick and he has a frame that looks like it could carry 90kg easily enough….it’s a reasonable enough roll of the dice I guess.

For me it's not losing focus on the player himself. The management and overall plan is another matter entirely. I would have been thrilled last year.

At worst Setterfield's a well rounded, pretty clearly AFL standard midfield utility. There is a clear need for this player on the list.

I dont know that he has Brodie level break out in his game because it is not a foregone conclusion that he can command midfield minutes based on how he has played to date.

I trust Ed when he says Setterfield had the bull in him as a kid.

I have expectations for these guys. I dont see how we can be so satisfied with our mids that we dont want players who can challenge for spots. Once he's here the cost becomes irrelevant.

The gap from bit part to 200 game player is rarely as big as the story makes it sound. Opportunity or TLC is very often the biggest issue.

While I clash with Zach Package, on the nature vs nurture debate that is on the narrow issue of whether nature has delivered the innate ability. I'm more fussy and need the physical tools. It's why I dont see it in Dow, he doesn't have the torque which leaves him as a pretty ineffectual inside mid without the break away game that appeals.

Guys like Setterfield and O'Halloran have the tools. I wouldn't set limits on them once they are in an environment that really wants them.

Last edited:
Only if you're reading it in a dungeon. Try some natural light sometime.
I use dark mode for everything, everywhere. Always easier for me

For me it's not losing focus on the player himself. The management and overall plan is another matter entirely. I would have been thrilled last year.

At worst Setterfield's a well rounded, pretty clearly AFL standard midfield utility. There is a clear need for this player on the list.

I dont know that he has Brodie level break out in his game because it is not a foregone conclusion that he can command midfield minutes based on how he has played to date.

I trust Ed when he says Setterfield had the bull in him as a kid.

I have expectations for these guys. I dont see how we can be so satisfied with our mids that we dont want players who can challenge for spots. Once he here the cost becomes irrelevant.

The gap from bit part to 200 game player is rarely as big as the story makes it sound. Opportunity or TLC is very often the biggest issue.

While I clash with Zach Package, on the nature vs nurture debate that is on the narrow issue of whether nature has delivered the innate ability. I'm more fussy and need the physical tools. It's why I dont see it in Dow, he doesn't have the torque which leaves him as a pretty ineffectual inside mid without the break away game that appeals.

Guys like Setterfield and O'Halloran have the tools. I wouldn't set limits on them once they are in an environment that really wants them.
Kobe Mutch says hello

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good pickup for you guys. Basically got Setters for nothing.
A couple of things to keep in mind though. He needs to work on his consistency. He played alot of VFL this year because he struggled to back up week in week out at AFL level.
And he's an inside mid. Don't try to play him on a wing, or as a high half forward. He played his best footy in his last month at Carlton playing as an inside mid.

Dark mode enables me to receive critical bigfooty viewpoints at 3am without being bashed over the head by an alarm clock.

Likewise.

It either puts me to sleep or provides sufficient nightmare fuel depending on the state of organisational decay the club is in on that given day.

If I’ve had a big day a sleep paralysis demon in the shape of Dodoro’s disembodied head appears on my dresser where my cactus plant normally sits.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back