Past #13: Jared Polec - delisted end '21 - redrafted w/ #1 in '21 RD - re-delisted end '22 - 42 NM games/20 NM goals

Remove this Banner Ad

BT was having cheap shots at Polec and Stephenson all Saturday afternoon. Not every one is cut from the same cloth. Nathan Buckley wanted 40 clones of himself and that didnt work. If the boys can play, get off there backs and let em play

F... 40 Nafan clones in the one spot? I would think there wouldn't be much headspace left in the change rooms. :smirk:

You're right though.

Last edited:
How can he demand a game if the only AFL he has played is a quarter as a medi sub?
He’s had up to over a month at VFL level where as players like McDonald, Jed, Dumont and Tarrant came straight back in after a game or two.
Polec clearly is on the cusp of the 22 and not inside it.

Why would the match committee put him in the 23 as the medi-sub if he was not on the verge of being part of the best 22?

Also, best 22 is very hard to define at any time. Rarely is any team in a position to field its "best 22"

In my opinion, Polec is a very good footballer, well and truly deserving of consideration as part of the starting line up when fit. I think we should leave aside our prejudices from last year, which for many clubs/players, was the year from hell, and look to see the team picked on merit. I think our coach is a smart and decent enough man to allow everyone to compete on merit for a spot in the team.

Lastly, it was Brian Taylor and really the man, in the "scale" of gooses, is very close to the Brownlow medal position. Anyone who can say in the commentary that "he kicked on his wrong right foot" has quite a major issue with the use of his cognitive powers. And may I also apologise to all "gooses' of the feathered variety. Very unfair to link them with BT
Mahoney, Powell and Bonar if all fit would all be ahead of him based on selection on 2021 exposed form. I’m not being critical of Polec just based on what I’ve seen thus far and on team balance and carrying out the coach’s instructions - it just seems others are getting it quicker than Polec and that means starting AFL games.

He’s had up to over a month at VFL level where as players like McDonald, Jed, Dumont and Tarrant came straight back in after a game or two.
Polec clearly is on the cusp of the 22 and not inside it.

Mahoney, Powell and Bonar if all fit would all be ahead of him based on selection on 2021 exposed form. I’m not being critical of Polec just based on what I’ve seen thus far and on team balance and carrying out the coach’s instructions - it just seems others are getting it quicker than Polec and that means starting AFL games.

We’re in a good position if we are playing 19-23 year olds over a talented and experienced player. Good times!

We’re in a good position if we are playing 19-23 year olds over a talented and experienced player. Good times!
Exactly. I 100% view this as a positive and as a luxury that Polec isnt a certain starter.
It’s up to him to work hard, force the selectors hand and work his way back in.
Our improvement post bye has been amazing and maybe for Polec it’s about realizing it’s not about what the 18th ranked club can do for me, but what he can do for it.

Polec is a talented footballer. Just play him now. We have some sore boys atm
I reckon he has these 3-4 weeks to show something or we put him up for a trade . Only problem is that I think we are on a hiding to nothing as his worth has dropped significantly.

I reckon he has these 3-4 weeks to show something or we put him up for a trade . Only problem is that I think we are on a hiding to nothing as his worth has dropped significantly.

Correct; the problem is that Jared has no currency. We signed the deal, and will have to see it out; on the flip side, I rate Noble's ability to get the best out of people

Correct; the problem is that Jared has no currency. We signed the deal, and will have to see it out; on the flip side, I rate Noble's ability to get the best out of people

The issue is He was up for trade last year and had no takers. Hopefully clubs come hard this year because he will be offloaded to another vic club if something reasonable is put on the table.

The issue is He was up for trade last year and had no takers. Hopefully clubs come hard this year because he will be offloaded to another vic club if something reasonable is put on the table.
I like the optimism, but I just can't see a bidder. Things (and players) are only worth what someone's prepared to pay

Or he ups his value and we trade him for something better than expected

29 next year I’m in the trade him camp as he’s not part of our young core and is barely best 22, use his remainder 400-500k a year on kelly or elsewhere if someone picks it up

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was it BT that said he looked like he didn't want to be there last week?

Might have been onto something.

Was it BT that said he looked like he didn't want to be there last week?

Might have been onto something.

Busted his arse today so I’m not sure what game you were watching

I've been very defensive of Polec but noted last week he looks unconditioned. More the Ahern type of lack of conditioning than the 'just got off an injury' type. Was blowing hard today.

Busted his arse today so I’m not sure what game you were watching
You're actually taking the piss, right? Genuinely jogged on a couple of chases today when there was a chance to bust his arse. He looked completely disinterested throughout, and I wanted Polec back in the team.

Not sure what else needs to happen for him to get a wake up call needed. Needs to be absolutely destroyed in a preseason if we retain him.

You're stuck with him folks, better learn to cope.

Does he fit this style of team? Not really. But he hasn't had a good run with this team either.

I didn't really care either way for his game.
I reckon if he tries harder then he absolutely fits into the team. His kicking skills should theoretically be a huge asset with our attacking corridor footy.

But at this stage, I'd trade him for as little as a third round upgrade while picking up a percentage of his salary.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back