Past #13: Jared Polec - delisted end '21 - redrafted w/ #1 in '21 RD - re-delisted end '22 - 42 NM games/20 NM goals

Remove this Banner Ad

Hindsight is a wonderful thing…
Whilst it didn’t seem like a bad trade at the time, it turned out to be a stinker!
We should have traded for future picks as mentioned.
The biggest issue has been his injuries, he came over with a history of foot injuries - although his last season with Port was the best of his career & he played every game.
His first season with us was also very good… but then injury, COVID, Heath Shaw & more injuries.
Shame. For all his deficiencies, he had a lethal left foot.
Surely we pay him out? or does he stay on the list next year?
Not it seemed bad at the time also

The only way it would have been decent is if we got him for a mid draft pick

Anyway we move on just pay the final year out and bring in someone who might actually be part of our future

Anyway we move on just pay the final year out and bring in someone who might actually be part of our future
My opinion as well. Lets not beat around the bush here, he is cooked, any spot on the list is valuable in churning talent, we have blokes like spicer that are speculative picks taking up spots. What he costs on a supposed front loaded contract surely would be negligible. We wouldnt be any where near the cap, if we are we have some seriously overpaid blokes on our list

He's got a year to play and if fit he would get a game for us.
Like most I am over this losing each week. And I hope we have all senior players available and have an improved VFL output to let some of the younger players develop.
But he’s never fit

It most certainly didn’t seem bad after R2, 2020 and I challenge anyone to say different. It all went south up in the Queensland bubble after Cunners and Ziebell both got injured at the same time - not to mention our coach’s issues up there.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I'm told he did a bit of coaching at the VFL last weekend. There is a possibility of retirement/ become a development coach similar to Tom Lynch.

Pay him for next year under the salary cap for this year retain him as a coach.

This would be a decent outcome.

I'm told he did a bit of coaching at the VFL last weekend. There is a possibility of retirement/ becoming a development coach similar to Tom Lynch.
Doesn't strike me as the coaching type, but at this point anything that gets him off the list is an option worth considering. Especially if it means getting his final year off the salary cap, but I am not sure it's possible. And it seems that soft cap is a bigger issue for us anyway these days

Doesn't strike me as the coaching type, but at this point anything that gets him off the list is an option worth considering. Especially if it means getting his final year off the salary cap, but I am not sure it's possible. And it seems that soft cap is a bigger issue for us anyway these days
There shouldn't be a reason why we couldn't.

He didn't come as a free agent where you are restricted to the terms of the signed FA contract. (Though Dale Thomas managed to alter the contract when he was at the Blues yet the Swans couldn't with Buddy's so 🤷‍♂️)

The clubs are getting extra soft cap space now so surely we will have some room to move.

But can we pay him out and delist him next year? I know the $, which should be minimal in his final year, still is counted in the 23 Salary cap.
Should be no reason why we can't bring it forward. We front loaded a heck of a lot in the first 2 years so right now, the contract should be minimal.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Should be no reason why we can't bring it forward. We front loaded a heck of a lot in the first 2 years so right now, the contract should be minimal.

We definitely have the flexibility in our salary cap to do so. I guess it depends on how much confidence we have of picking a better player in the rookie draft.

Polec has some amazing tools at his disposal, but unless a new coach sees value in getting the footy in his hands, then I can't see why we'd retain him considering his output over the last 2 years.

He didn't come as a free agent where you are restricted to the terms of the signed FA contract. (Though Dale Thomas managed to alter the contract when he was at the Blues yet the Swans couldn't with Buddy's so 🤷‍♂️)

The clubs are getting extra soft cap space now so surely we will have some room to move.
Didn't Brisbane and Daniher alter their contract this year too?

They just added years on to the existing contract. If they have of added them originally it would’ve watered down the compensation because they’re of a lower value.

Dodgy, but what can the AFL do about it.
True. As we would be paying Polec the same amount in 2023 as originally agreed, I can't see a problem with it either. It is essentially what they locked the Swans into.

I thought that was because the altered componate of the contract was a trigger clause and apparently the AFL only consider the gaurenteed money when compensating for FA. Or they were still annoyed that Buddy didn't go to GWS

Why would they bother delisting or paying him out when he is on the Rookie list anyway, ??
Might as well retain, hope he gets fit, and who knows what may happen.
Some players manage some remarkable output when their contracts are up and they are looking for a continuation the following year.

Sent from my iPad using BigFooty.com

What a genius trade this was in hindsight!

Goodness me.

I hated it at the time and I hate it even more now.

Why would they bother delisting or paying him out when he is on the Rookie list anyway, ??
Might as well retain, hope he gets fit, and who knows what may happen.
Some players manage some remarkable output when their contracts are up and they are looking for a continuation the following year.

Sent from my iPad using BigFooty.com
You make a good point. Comes down to his body and, if OK, desire to play a role next year. If there is any doubt about either, no point in keeping him. We’d have the cap space.
I say this as someone who would like to see him come good.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back