Retired 14. Liam Jones

Remove this Banner Ad

The only thing I read was that Liam wanted people to respect his decision and his privacy.

I think Brian Cook sums it up well.

“It would be wrong if I said I was comfortable, I’m not. Here is a guy with great talent, he’s been through football life the hard way and has really made a name for himself in the later stages of his career only to retire, I think, prematurely,” Cook said.

“But it’s his decision. I respect the fact that he had the right to make that decision.

“I, like a lot of other people, don’t feel comfortable with it, but acknowledge that he’s made that decision and it’s his life and we’ll just have to get on with ours and find a replacement.”

Ok. So Liam hasn't said anything about the reasons for his retirement. Only that he's retired and respect his privacy.

So, going back to original question:

If there was no mandate he would be readying for pre season training, yes?

No one can say definitely. Only Liam. Any assumptions are pure speculation.

Ok. So Liam hasn't said anything about the reasons for his retirement. Only that he's retired and respect his privacy.

So, going back to original question:

No one can say definitely. Only Liam. Any assumptions are pure speculation.

Not according to the football world.

Not according to the football world.

Both sides of the argument in the football world, yes.

We don't know his reasons, but some jump all over him being an anti-vaxxer, and some anti-vaxxers jump all over him being a hero standing up to the man. Self interest will always shows itself.

Both sides of the argument in the football world, yes.

We don't know his reasons, but some jump all over him being an anti-vaxxer, and some anti-vaxxers jump all over him being a hero standing up to the man. Self interest will always shows itself.

No we dont know his reasons - you are right. But it's pretty obvious at the end of the day.

No we dont know his reasons - you are right. But it's pretty obvious at the end of the day.

Then why make a comment about the football world speculation as though they shouldn't speculate, then suggest that's it obvious?

It's either neither side using it to their advantage or both.

Then why make a comment about the football world speculation as though they shouldn't speculate, then suggest that's it obvious?

It's either neither side using it to their advantage or both.

Because I read football matter beyond Bigfooty?

Christian Petracca has come out and voiced an opinion... let's shoot that bastard.

Because I read football matter beyond Bigfooty?

Christian Petracca has come out and voiced an opinion... let's shoot that bastard.

Who wants to shoot Petracca? He expressed an opinion but didn't spout any information about the effectiveness of the vaccine or government control or anything like that.

That's your opinion other people feel differently. Thats democracy.

What's my opinion? That Petracca didn't say anything anti-vax? He didn't.

You seem all over the shop.

What's my opinion? That Petracca didn't say anything anti-vax? He didn't.

You seem all over the shop.

I didnt say anything anti Vax either. People should get vaccinated if they believe in it. I dont think I have said anything different. Its just your mirage.. the mandates oh the mandates..... all guns blazing here

I didnt say anything anti Vax either. People should get vaccinated if they believe in it. I dont think I have said anything different. Its just your mirage.. the mandates oh the mandates..... all guns blazing here

You are talking absolute jibberish. Stop now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Liam retirement will cost us 3/4 wins unfortunately. He’s a big loss . 110 one on one contests last year and lost nine of these . I’m predicting we will finish 11-14 on the ladder

Liam retirement will cost us 3/4 wins unfortunately. He’s a big loss . 110 one on one contests last year and lost nine of these . I’m predicting we will finish 11-14 on the ladder

So you think the retirement of Jones is going to cost us a finals berth?

I think we might be preparing next seasons excuses a little early.

So you think the retirement of Jones is going to cost us a finals berth?

I think we might be preparing next seasons excuses a little early.
You don’t replace players like this overnight . Just a fact . Unfortunately

Liam retirement will cost us 3/4 wins unfortunately. He’s a big loss .
You don’t replace players like this overnight . Just a fact . Unfortunately
You haven't factored any improvement in other parts of the team (eg Cerra and Hewett in the midfield, Charlie Curnow back in the team) or a change in game plan, team defence etc.

They said the same thing when Richmond lost Alex Rance, the AFLs best defender - Richmond adapted and went on to win another two premierships.

Last edited:
I reckon once the season starts up again and footy gets going again, knowing he could be out there playing is really going to hit home for Jones, particularly if Carlton are winning games. Reckon he will miss it more than he realises.

You haven't factored any improvement in other parts of the team (eg Cerra and Hewett in the midfield, Charlie Curnow back in the team) or a change in game plan, team defence etc.

They said the same thing when Richmond lost Alex Rance, the AFLs best defender - Richmond adapted and went on to win another two premierships.
Hmm we’re not Richmond we’re a bottom 4 team . Charlie omg not this again he’s a c grader until he kicks 40 goals in a season i will then upgrade him to a b grader .

I strongly disagree with this. I reckon its a dirty little secret that Jones was flashy, good one on one, and a poor defender overall.

the most important aspect of key defenders is predictability. You defend as a unit, and everyone on the team needs to know exactly where the big boys are and what tehy are going to do. If they can just be in the right spot 99/100 times, everyone else can work off that - they'll know when to punch, when and where to crumb and defend the ground, etc. This is why so many good teams seem to get by with ordinary KP defenders, and what make Richmond so good with Grimes/Astbury/Vlastuin (all just rock solid in positioning).

Jones was an utter loose cannon. It might look flashy when he charges off his man and takes an intercept mark 45 meters away from his opponent, but its bloody hard to read if you are a midfielder running back with the flight of the ball. Aside from the 3-4 goals a game he directly leaked by allowign his man to get goalside of him, you want to know why we have bled goals to small forwards for the past 4 years? Why so many apparently good midfielders, even guys like Zach Williams or SPS who have played as defenders, look lost and don't know where to go defensively (or look like they aren't trying)? How on earth do you run defensively when every fast entry the full back is charging full pelt past the ball like a lunatic, and suddenly you have to sprint 50 meters sidewaays to cover... the best teams exploited the begeezus out of this at times, not just in running set plays that drew Jones out of position then playing through his man, but also in exploiting the psychological effects of us just leaking goals out the back.

I, for one, look forward to round 9 2022 when everyone is raving about how Voss (who has the tactical awareness of an Axoltyl) has 'organised' the defence. "Wow, Weitering is the general we always thought he would be, aren't Williams and Saad amazing lockdown defenders... even the midfield are running hard both ways all of a sudden. What a tactical genius..."

Remove this Banner Ad

Back