Past #14: Trent Dumont - delisted end '21 - 113 NM games/26 NM goals - 2019 NM VCapt - thanks Froggy

Remove this Banner Ad

On-field stuff aside, his off-field transition from the taxi incident (which was massively overhyped for various reasons) to his current off-field work (not just now, but other charity stuff as well) is quite endearing. Speaks volume about his character.

Good post.

I reckon he’ll end up in the leadership group this year.

Started as a C grade mid.

Has worked his ring out to become a B grade wingman.

I’m not sure he gets any better from here.

Perhaps this is his ceiling. He isn’t going to be a world beater with his athletic traits but he is the perfect role player and the perfect team man.

Every premiership side has a few players just like him.

There are a number of more talented players on our list who won’t end up making the most of their natural talent because they don’t have the work ethic or dedication that Froggy does.

Last edited:

Still only 24, no serious injury history, typically improved some facet of his game/body each year.
No reason to think he's peaked IMO, especially when he's shown he is capable of some beautiful silky passes into the 50 on the odd occasion. He starts to bring that back to his game, and stop having to chase arse to cover for everyone else in the middle, then I reckon he has a lot of room to keep going improving.

EDIT: And if he was able to spend some quality time training for aerial contests, that would add a serious string to his bow.

Agreed. I'm hopeful he has a little more improvement left in him but don't think he will ever be an A grader

Still only 24, no serious injury history, typically improved some facet of his game/body each year.
No reason to think he's peaked IMO, especially when he's shown he is capable of some beautiful silky passes into the 50 on the odd occasion. He starts to bring that back to his game, and stop having to chase arse to cover for everyone else in the middle, then I reckon he has a lot of room to keep going improving.

EDIT: And if he was able to spend some quality time training for aerial contests, that would add a serious string to his bow.
Perhaps this is his ceiling. He isn’t going to be a world beater with his athletic traits but he is the perfect role player and the perfect team man.

There are a number of more talented players on our list who won’t end up making the most of their natural talent because they don’t have the work ethic or dedication that Froggy does.

I just don’t see him becoming more damaging with ball in hand whilst playing on the outside.

He does a power of defensive running, mainly to cover Cunners opponents as well as his own, which was in short supply during Scott’s ténor.

Having said that, if he was overtaken by Bailey Scott sooner rather than later, I wouldn’t be upset.

I just don’t see him becoming more damaging with ball in hand whilst playing on the outside.

He does a power of defensive running, mainly to cover Cunners opponents as well as his own, which was in short supply during Scott’s ténor.

Having said that, if he was overtaken by Bailey Scott sooner rather than later, I wouldn’t be upset.

If he doesn't have to do as many repeat gut running efforts then in theory he'll be in better condition to execute skills when the time comes.
Also in theory, if he no longer needs to work on his body then he would just be doing conditioning/maintenance and hopefully focusing on other tasks like skill/marking etc. The fact that he is such a hard worker is what gives me a good feeling about him going forward still; he seems determined to get the best out of himself.

I might be wrong and this might be his peak, and if that's the case then that's fine. As others have said you need a handful or more blokes who are decent enough but great roll-players, and Dumont has shown his ability to do exactly that.

I would like to see Bailey Scott on his wing and Frog into the centre square mix. He's a natural inside mid, was made a wingman because of need, and with his tank can run up and down the ground all day. Defensive role if required.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would like to see Bailey Scott on his wing and Frog into the centre square mix. He's a natural inside mid, was made a wingman because of need, and with his tank can run up and down the ground all day. Defensive role if required.

Jack is the problem here. He is a man of many talents, master of none and he needs to be part of the midfield mix. If we add Ahern, LDU, Bonar and Simpkin in there then it means Dumont may be without a chair in there unless injury hits.

If he doesn't have to do as many repeat gut running efforts then in theory he'll be in better condition to execute skills when the time comes.
Also in theory, if he no longer needs to work on his body then he would just be doing conditioning/maintenance and hopefully focusing on other tasks like skill/marking etc. The fact that he is such a hard worker is what gives me a good feeling about him going forward still; he seems determined to get the best out of himself.

I might be wrong and this might be his peak, and if that's the case then that's fine. As others have said you need a handful or more blokes who are decent enough but great roll-players, and Dumont has shown his ability to do exactly that.
I think the base skill is there, his first game was against Geelong and he executed an amazing outside of the boot pass to Dish, that was just amazing. Not sure why we don't see that as much now but hopefully he can get it back into his game

Jack is the problem here. He is a man of many talents, master of none and he needs to be part of the midfield mix. If we add Ahern, LDU, Bonar and Simpkin in there then it means Dumont may be without a chair in there unless injury hits.
While some of the kids have shown glimpses of their potential, the harsh reality is that they have not, as yet, performed consistently at senior level and we're only guessing (hoping) that they will. Dare I suggest an infatuation with youth may be playing a part here, or a death wish on the part of some, to justify their forecasts?

In the meantime, Froggy has been developing nicely - which is what we merely hope will be the case with others. It's not unreasonable to conclude he has further development ahead of him, given his commitment to get the best out of himself and the fact that he's not yet at his peak, age-wise. If we only watch highlights, as we do with the kids - because it's all we have - then his best would stack up nicely. Add to that, that a lot of Trent's value is in his two-way running/defensive coverage, and being in the right spot to be a link in a chain (ie not the stuff of highlights packages.)

Last edited:

The knock on him is that he works hard, is durable and relatively consistent albeit with some potential limitations. Plays to his strengths, works hard defensively to cover the guys who dont
Apparently all less preferable than high ceiling flaky injury prone types.

Last edited:
His ceiling is a Sloane-type imo. Works his backside off. He got carved up trying his hand as a tagger (in fairness he did tag Kennedy, Dangerfield, Ablett, and a few others which is no easy task). Runs all day and we need 2-way runners.

If he never gets there he is still a best 22-type as mentioned above. Every premiership team has them.

Yes 💯 % with everything.

Would rather him in the middle than ziebs and Jed - offers more going both ways and gets more of ball.
Think in 2018 he finished the season off well playing in the guts.

I think Dumont is judged harshly on here. He is asked to play defensive wing and that includes covering other players in threatening positions. He has to play that role because we have mids that don't run 2 ways that well like Higgins, Cunnington and Polec while LDU and Jy are still developing their tanks but their intent is there.

If Dumont was allowed to play a more attacking role then I think you would see more flair. It's why i think he would make a pretty good high half forward like Greene.

His ceiling is a Sloane-type imo. Works his backside off. He got carved up trying his hand as a tagger (in fairness he did tag Kennedy, Dangerfield, Ablett, and a few others which is no easy task). Runs all day and we need 2-way runners.

If he never gets there he is still a best 22-type as mentioned above. Every premiership team has them.
His spot has never been safer.

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Ahern to half back, Bonar needs to prove himself first.

Frog's got very decent skills, I've seen some nice delivery into the forward 50 from him
Definitely. Not in the same class as Boomer was, but some of his short kicks into the 50 from a mark are sublime, as well as the occasional pass on the run (though this year It feels like we didn't see it as much).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back