Past #14: Trent Dumont - delisted end '21 - 113 NM games/26 NM goals - 2019 NM VCapt - thanks Froggy

Remove this Banner Ad

Definitely. Not in the same class as Boomer was, but some of his short kicks into the 50 from a mark are sublime, as well as the occasional pass on the run (though this year It feels like we didn't see it as much).

Agreed, Polec got that delivery this year.

Your first sentence has been on my mind the whole time this thread has been humming along.
Yeah, it's bizarre.

Is given a job every week for his team, the coaches presumably think he does that job well enough for him to end up third in the B & F but some anonymous keyboard warriors know more about football than the coaches and he's not best 22.

Yeah, it's bizarre.

Is given a job every week for his team, the coaches presumably think he does that job well enough for him to end up third in the B & F but some anonymous keyboard warriors know more about football than the coaches and he's not best 22.
To be fair there are those who just rubbish him and there are others that acknowledge his value but elsewhere in the line up.

Yeah, it's bizarre.

I'm in no way taking the piss or trying to get a reaction, but what is his job?

While some of the kids have shown glimpses of their potential, the harsh reality is that they have not, as yet, performed consistently at senior level and we're only guessing (hoping) that they will. Dare I suggest an infatuation with youth may be playing a part here, or a death wish on the part of some, to justify their forecasts?

In the meantime, Froggy has been developing nicely - which is what we merely hope will be the case with others. It's not unreasonable to conclude he has further development ahead of him, given his commitment to get the best out of himself and the fact that he's not yet at his peak, age-wise. If we only watch highlights, as we do with the kids - because it's all we have - then his best would stack up nicely. Add to that, that a lot of Trent's value is in his two-way running/defensive coverage, and being in the right spot to be a link in a chain (ie not the stuff of highlights packages.)

I have always had the same approach to team selection, if you want to be the best, you have to have a fair amount of the best. I 100% agree that Dumont is a fair way in front of our next group, but, we will not win the ultimate prize with players who are just ok. I have hope in the next gen because I don't have a great deal of hope in what we have right now. I think we have had enough battling to make finals, we need the better skilled, athletic players to come to the forefront. If they don't, we will continue to be just middle of the road.

I have always had the same approach to team selection, if you want to be the best, you have to have a fair amount of the best. I 100% agree that Dumont is a fair way in front of our next group, but, we will not win the ultimate prize with players who are just ok. I have hope in the next gen because I don't have a great deal of hope in what we have right now. I think we have had enough battling to make finals, we need the better skilled, athletic players to come to the forefront. If they don't, we will continue to be just middle of the road.

You can win flag(s) with “ok” players if everything clicks as a unit.

Cotchin won a Brownlow in his fifth year. Froggy got two votes...
Well there you have it, the god damn truth getting in the way of fakts! Then again, Brownlow Schmownlow.... The Duck never needed one

Admittedly I was living OS from the time Cotchin was drafted until 2 years ago, so my Tiggies news was probably swayed by all the whinging from my Mum, Brother and 3 blokes in the UK crapping on.

Maybe my point about being harshly judged from within can still be relevant?

If not.....who cares I'm on morphine still!

On SM-G965F using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah, it's bizarre.

Isn't that the point of a footy blog though? Differing opinions...

Poster A: I think LDU should be dropped.
Poster B: YOU THINK YOU KNOW MORE ABOUT FOOTY THAN THE COACHES!!!!
Poster A: True. What was I thinking?!

If we guided ourselves under those principles Chief would be out on the street...

... let's guide ourselves under those principles. :thumbsupemoji:

seems to be a bit of a knock on him from some posters because he hasn't become A grade or for his athletic traits.
But are forgetting he has become a very solid AFL citizen and they are the lifeblood of every successful side

There would be 7-8 guys in more danger of being dropped than Dumont. so when we want to play our shiny new toys, you fit them in around Dumont, you don't drop him for them.

The forgotten man.

Teams will be putting serious scouting time into Ben10, Higgins, Jy, Goldy, Polecat, LDU, etc.

4th in last years Syd, I reckon he's a real smokey this year.
Smokey to do what? He is a safe and reliable player, but doesn't really possess weapons to hurt IMHO.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back