Past #14: Trent Dumont - delisted end '21 - 113 NM games/26 NM goals - 2019 NM VCapt - thanks Froggy

Remove this Banner Ad

It's in his interests to leave and dare I say it ours.

He is a good 23 - 26 player on a list.

There is talk of Kelly arriving , Billings, Horne not to mention Powell , Scott, Lazzaro were not in the side on the weekend, also Polec and Anderson.

I just think the weight of options over the next 12 months will see Dumont playing VFL.

The fact that we must likely get a pick on early 20s for him is enough to let him go. He does a job but he's not the type of player you build a team around. He's slow and disposal can be shaky at times. Easily worth it to let him go. Gives us a strong hand in the draft having 3 from 1 to 20 odd.

It's in his interests to leave and dare I say it ours.

He is a good 23 - 26 player on a list.

There is talk of Kelly arriving , Billings, Horne not to mention Powell , Scott, Lazzaro were not in the side on the weekend, also Polec and Anderson.

I just think the weight of options over the next 12 months will see Dumont playing VFL.
Yeah, nah. Still comfortably in our best 10-12 and would be for some time to come if he stayed, even when we become a good side. And while those young guys are promising, there's zero chance they're better footballers than Frog in the next 12 months.

I'll be gutted to see him go because guys of his ability, age demographic and experience are going to be sorely needed as we develop, and he's disciplined and intelligent enough to play an important role in a good side too.

Yeah, nah. Still comfortably in our best 10-12 and would be for some time to come if he stayed, even when we become a good side. And while those young guys are promising, there's zero chance they're better footballers than Frog in the next 12 months.

I'll be gutted to see him go because guys of his ability, age demographic and experience are going to be sorely needed as we develop, and he's disciplined and intelligent enough to play an important role in a good side too.
/as older blokes move on. He's in the demographic where we battle

On Pixel 3 using BigFooty.com mobile app

As an exercise, I’d have these ahead of him at Round 1, 2022:

McKay, Taz, McDonald, Cunnington, Goldy, Simpkin, LDU, Polec, Anderson, Zurhaar, Thomas, Stephenson, Ziebell.

Dumont is replaceable insofar as what he brings can be found quite easily.

McKay, Taz, McDonald, Cunnington, Goldy, Simpkin, LDU, Polec, Anderson, Zurhaar, Thomas, Stephenson, Ziebell.

If he requests to go home then sure, we must.

Otherwise, he’s the demographic we need, has great leadership skills and runs both way at 20ppg.

You don’t create a good culture just treating people like magnets.

If he requests to go home then sure, we must.

Otherwise, he’s the demographic we need, has great leadership skills and runs both way at 20ppg.

You don’t create a good culture just treating people like magnets.

Not doubting any of those points, but he’s a solid role player in a team currently at the foot of the ladder.

If you think he is easily replaceable then you don’t recognise some of his qualities.

For starters he is the best 2 way runner at the club.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Which other 2 way gut running inside and outside midfielder with great endurance do we have? Other players on the list have some of the same qualities, but he's the only that has them all as a packaged deal.

That said, as the midfield depth and top end talent gets better (and fitter), Trent's value to the 22 will decrease. If Dumont really does want to go right now, then this would be the perfect timing for all involved IMO.

Will be interesting to see what actually unfolds.

Which other 2 way gut running inside and outside midfielder with great endurance do we have? Other players on the list have some of the same qualities, but he's the only that has them all as a packaged deal.

That said, as the midfield depth and top end talent gets better (and fitter), Trent's value to the 22 will decrease. If Dumont really does want to go right now, then this would be the perfect timing for all involved IMO.

I didn’t say he’d be instantly replaced, but Bailey Scott will be just as good, if not better in 18 months.

As you said, the depth (and quality) of the midfield will ease the pain of him leaving.

I didn’t say he’d be instantly replaced, but Bailey Scott will be just as good, if not better in 18 months.

As you said, the depth (and quality) of the midfield will ease the pain of him leaving.
I hope Scott will be. His recent defensive roles have been a marvel, and he's certainly showing inside ability in the VFL. I still have concerns over his disposal and impact while on a wing, and to a lesser extent his size.

People are also talking Horne up as being a good (remarkable?) 2 way runner.

I hope Scott will be. His recent defensive roles have been a marvel, and he's certainly showing inside ability in the VFL. I still have concerns over his disposal and impact while on a wing, and to a lesser extent his size.

People are also talking Horne up as being a good (remarkable?) 2 way runner.

Offensively, Scott has a significant amount of work to do but he’s defensively proficient and able to run all day.

It would seem the club don't agree with your summation. If they did, he would have a high price, 3 year plus deal in front of him, which we seem to offer most of this importance (or less), that you describe.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is just not true. He's as valuable or more valuable than Polec, Anderson, Zurhaar, and Ziebell at least of that list. We have no one that has the brains or the discipline that he does. And I saw you say Scott, he's absolutely nowhere near Dumont's level atm and I couldn't disagree more that he'll be better than him in 12 months.

I actually think it's the opposite. Until Phillips and maybe Horne, I was already concerned that we had too many ball hunters in the team and not enough of a defensive balance, and even those two are inside types. Guys that are important structurally and defensively disciplined are probably more important to good teams than they are to bad ones. Mitch Robinson is the perfect example. He's so important to that side because he does all the structural stuff on the outside that the rest of their midfield either doesn't want to do or can't do. Also see Kamdyn McIntosh, Angus Brayshaw.

I don't think we are instantly a lot worse without him in the team - certainly not whole lot better either. But if he wants to explore his options and leave I don't know what the issue would be to an up and coming team trying to inject two way running speed and A grade talent.

Not doubting any of those points, but he’s a solid role player in a team currently at the foot of the ladder.

I think he's got a bit more potential than that. He has improved every year and fingers crossed he continues to do so.

He's one of the best runners and trainers at the club - these types are important.

I think he can be an important part in a better team as we improve.

This is just not true. He's as valuable or more valuable than Polec, Anderson, Zurhaar, and Ziebell at least of that list. We have no one that has the brains or the discipline that he does. And I saw you say Scott, he's absolutely nowhere near Dumont's level atm and I couldn't disagree more that he'll be better than him in 12 months

I said 18 months which is the end of next season. Anderson is defensively superior at the coal face, Polec is superior offensively, Zurhaar has hit his straps after buying a new dog and Ziebell is the captain (leadership intangibles).

Dumont absolutely does a mountain of off the ball work, but it’s my view that he’s the type of player that won’t be missed as greatly from ‘22 onwards despite what he brings to the side.

As much as i love Frog, and before the emergence of LMac and Jy and leaders, thought he could have been the next captain, he needs to depart the club.

He will have a huge battle on his hands to keep his spot in the side next year.

If we can cash in with a 2nd round compo pick, he needs to go.

Good defensive wingers aren't as easy to find as you might think. There aren't a lot of guys who come through the elite junior systems that can develop the discipline and team-first mindset that a guy like Frog has.

With Frog: 2-1-3
Without Frog: 0-0-8

The win - draw - loss ratio is a bit of an oversimplification but I agree with the sentiment.

We currently do not have the players with the tank or discipline to run both ways effectively. Frog's ability to do these things have stood out over the past few weeks.

I worry a little bit that our current crop of midfielders are offensive weapons but do not have the same running / defensive skills e.g. Thomas, LDU and Cunnington.

I think we'll be okay as our midfield builds its fitness base but we will feel his loss in my opinion (unless Scott, Phillips, Laz, Powell + potentially Horne and Kelly come and fill the role).

Ol frog, im not averse to him going if we can replace him with a warm body that is a guaranteed best 22 player.

Im all for rebuilding but if he goes for another draft pick, no thanks. We cant just cycle out senior players in the hope we find a kid who in 5 years time may be as good as frog is currently. He is the right age profile, good defensively and as seen on the weekend, a link player from d50 which he did quite well. Adds a lot to the side and structure, so his loss needs to bring in someone who will add something straight away.

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

I'd keep him too. He's going to be valuable in the next 2 years while the young ones develop. He's also been out injured for along time so we'll see his best football in the next few weeks.
Likely to only get a late second/ early 3rd round pick for him which isn't enough currency to be tempted to let him go

Remove this Banner Ad

Back