Past #14: Trent Dumont - delisted end '21 - 113 NM games/26 NM goals - 2019 NM VCapt - thanks Froggy

Remove this Banner Ad

Liked Froggers second half. He came back well from a shaky start. Reminded me of the Rumble in the Jungle between Ali and Creed in Manilla. I was in the Phillipines that night with a “client” who insisted we visit The Pleasure Chest for a refreshment. One thing lead to another and before I knew it, the fight was on TV live via a satellite in the sky.
It’s one of the biggest regrets of my life that I wasn’t in Zaire that night. But I was a huge fan of the George Freeman grill back then so I would’ve been torn anyway.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

50 game milestone coming up this week.

My son Archie's favourite player, and missus Toes' too for that matter, after discovering the Norwood link (her family's team back in Adelaide) and having chatted with him many times at functions.

Really pleased to see him reach this milestone after all he went through with the court case.

Go get 'em Froggy!

I like Dumont too. I just get the feeling that he's going to have a breakout period of 5-10 games where he's consistently good, then he'll be away and be a quality AFL footballer

he might have started too as his last couple of games have been pretty good....

Dumont's hard-working 50
Thomas Loftus May 31, 2018 5:49 PM

310518_DumontLarge.jpg

Darren Crocker has been involved with Trent Dumont more than most over his short career, so the significance of the midfielder's 50-game milestone isn't lost on the long-time assistant coach.

“My first experience with Trent was on a trip to Utah, where he pretty much had to train separate to the group because of where his fitness was at,” Crocker recalled.

“He was doing a lot of catch-up running.

“He had played senior footy in the and won a premiership in the SANFL, but he was still a long way off the pace.”

Dumont was the 30th selection at the 2013 National Draft, such was his promise, but the then 18-year-old had plenty of work to do to make it to AFL level.

“He was always a very capable footballer, but didn’t have the body shape or the tank to even complete the main training sessions.”

“I think it took him a couple of pre-seasons before the penny dropped and he realised that he had to get his body right to play at the level that we know that he’s capable of.”

Dumont has become known as one of the hardest workers on the track, and he's got the rewards.

He proved himself at VFL level, and earnt his spot, becoming a regular since the back half of 2016.

“He really enjoys the aspect of improving himself, and that’s obvious in the way he goes about it,” Crocker said.

“His running has obviously improved out of sight since he started, and he’s changed his body shape with that.”

An inside midfielder as a junior, a slight tweak of position has had endless benefits for the man known as “Froggy”.

“We made the decision to play him out on the wing, because we were confident that he would be able to transition the way you need to as a wingman, and it was a way to get him into that midfield mix.

“Now his game day running is as good as anyone in the team.”

It’s not just Dumont's elite work-rate that sets him apart though.

“He is also a very smart player,” Crocker said.

“He sees the game extremely well, and he helps other guys setup around him and around our structures.

“He is also really courageous and goes into the contest hard.

“Combine these attributes with his elite kicking going forward, and Trent is an extremely important player for us.”

Dumont's hard-working 50
Thomas Loftus May 31, 2018 5:49 PM

310518_DumontLarge.jpg

Darren Crocker has been involved with Trent Dumont more than most over his short career, so the significance of the midfielder's 50-game milestone isn't lost on the long-time assistant coach.

“My first experience with Trent was on a trip to Utah, where he pretty much had to train separate to the group because of where his fitness was at,” Crocker recalled.

“He was doing a lot of catch-up running.

“He had played senior footy in the and won a premiership in the SANFL, but he was still a long way off the pace.”

Dumont was the 30th selection at the 2013 National Draft, such was his promise, but the then 18-year-old had plenty of work to do to make it to AFL level.

“He was always a very capable footballer, but didn’t have the body shape or the tank to even complete the main training sessions.”

“I think it took him a couple of pre-seasons before the penny dropped and he realised that he had to get his body right to play at the level that we know that he’s capable of.”

Dumont has become known as one of the hardest workers on the track, and he's got the rewards.

He proved himself at VFL level, and earnt his spot, becoming a regular since the back half of 2016.

“He really enjoys the aspect of improving himself, and that’s obvious in the way he goes about it,” Crocker said.

“His running has obviously improved out of sight since he started, and he’s changed his body shape with that.”

An inside midfielder as a junior, a slight tweak of position has had endless benefits for the man known as “Froggy”.

“We made the decision to play him out on the wing, because we were confident that he would be able to transition the way you need to as a wingman, and it was a way to get him into that midfield mix.

“Now his game day running is as good as anyone in the team.”

It’s not just Dumont's elite work-rate that sets him apart though.

“He is also a very smart player,” Crocker said.

“He sees the game extremely well, and he helps other guys setup around him and around our structures.

“He is also really courageous and goes into the contest hard.

“Combine these attributes with his elite kicking going forward, and Trent is an extremely important player for us.”

Very courageous, is Froggy. Almost every week running with the flight or sitting under the high ball. No fuss. Congratulations on the milestone.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back